• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
When did "instant magic circles" become a thing?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FishLion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:36 am Reply with quote
I was pondering when "instant magic circles" became a norm recently because I finally got around to watching Card Captor Sakura and noticed they were present there.

I know magic circles that are drawn or formed of materials like salt, similar to the ones in Akuma-Kun (which had it's first iteration back in 1963)and Witch Hat Atelier, are quite old, but seeing it in Card Captor made me wonder when the trope of "holding up magic implement or hands causes the magic manifest as a circle" with no motion or action on the user's part became a normal part of anime. I am curious because it is always kind of fun to learn about the origins of tropes that are now ubiquitous, this one especially because the magic circles were sort of naturally part of the anime I grew up watching.

If anyone has any thoughts on the origins or knows of early examples of instant magic circles I would love to hear!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1