• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
We Ranked the Official KONOSUBA Cocktails

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Really appreciate a column like this as most of us would have no hope of getting to Japan to partake in these limited time offerings and knowing how to recreate them allows us to join the fun. I look forward to doing just that as I love anime, Konosuba and good inventive cocktails!
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 12:46 pm Reply with quote
It's good they're just "inspired" by the characters as I'm pretty sure the true Aqua cocktail experience would involve a truly giant glass and end in you blacking out.
TexZero

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Kinda sad that the cockails are just dilute strong flavor with tonic water.

This should get revisted by "How To Drink" i'd love to see him fix this and give us some proper cocktails.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Dr. Wily wrote:
It's good they're just "inspired" by the characters as I'm pretty sure the true Aqua cocktail experience would involve a truly giant glass and end in you blacking out.
My daughter suggests a "fishbowl punch" named for the glass size aka "white girl wasted" (?). One version as follows
10oz vodka/everclear, 10oz coconut rum, 6oz blue Curacao liqueur, 12oz sweet-and-sour mix, 20oz pineapple juice, 32oz lemon-lime soda (for the bubbly!!), Blue food coloring, if desired.

It seems The Hub was intent on making these as cheaply as possible and only keying on the color scheme for each character, whereas an elevated cocktail should use flavor elements that speak to the character's personality or preferences. A proper Megumin should be an unblended strawberry daiquiri with coconut cream float and have "pop-rocks" garnish at minimum...
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2024 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Dr. Wily wrote:
My daughter suggests a "fishbowl punch" named for the glass size aka "white girl wasted" (?). One version as follows
10oz vodka/everclear, 10oz coconut rum, 6oz blue Curacao liqueur, 12oz sweet-and-sour mix, 20oz pineapple juice, 32oz lemon-lime soda (for the bubbly!!), Blue food coloring, if desired.

It seems The Hub was intent on making these as cheaply as possible and only keying on the color scheme for each character, whereas an elevated cocktail should use flavor elements that speak to the character's personality or preferences. A proper Megumin should be an unblended strawberry daiquiri with coconut cream float and have "pop-rocks" garnish at minimum...

Oh yeah I mean they're just all gimmick cocktails, it makes total sense they just be on the cheap and done to match the character's color.

I agree with the column though that a "proper" Megumin should definitely have some sort of bite whether that's cinnamon liquor or something downright ridiculous like how some people just put hot sauce in a Bloody Mary. Pop rock garnish is a fantastic idea though.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Whoever came up with the article must have had some knowledge about cocktails and mocktails.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Dr. Wily wrote:
...I agree with the column though that a "proper" Megumin should definitely have some sort of bite whether that's cinnamon liquor or something downright ridiculous like how some people just put hot sauce in a Bloody Mary. Pop rock garnish is a fantastic idea though.
Thanks! I totally agree with you and the reviewers about the spice bite but wasn't convinced that cinnamon was the right one. I tried the following with good result, it doesn't scream "Megumin" to me yet but it demonstrates that the sweet and heat elements can be present, though as more of a background burn. Was looking for "explosion in the mouth" but didn't get there. Made with On the Rocks pre-made strawberry daiquiri and jalapeno-pineapple products
3oz Daiquiri/1oz Jalapeno-pineapple/ 0.5oz Dole pinapple juice/ 0.5oz Veil pepper vodka/ 0.5oz Coconut Creme Rumchata/drop or two of Chamoy in Rumchata before mixing/1 package strawberry PopRocks candy.

Coconut liqueur settles to the bottom to make a red/white layered drink. Would suggest whipping coconut creme mix into foam for a float before adding PopRocks.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:59 am Reply with quote
Thanks for putting out such an interesting article! As a fan of creating craft cocktails at home this is a really fun read. I am a little curious about using the tonic water and its effect on the flavors you mentioned. (for those of you of drinking age - think about a gin & tonic and the flavors that come across). I wondered if club soda would not have altered the fruit flavor so much and still give you the bubbly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1