• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st Haikyu!! Final Film Ranks #7 in Opening Weekend in U.S.

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I guess that's pretty reasonable all things considered.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:10 pm Reply with quote
For a quiet weekend at 1,000 theaters, it bested an IFC debut film in double that amount. So I think this will be declared a win all things considered. Still an utterly anemic summer counting on Deadpool and Inside Out 2 to save it though.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:30 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
For a quiet weekend at 1,000 theaters, it bested an IFC debut film in double that amount. So I think this will be declared a win all things considered. Still an utterly anemic summer counting on Deadpool and Inside Out 2 to save it though.

Haiyku!! is a win because it's already quite successful in Japan, so anything added at the international box office is pure gravy. It's already made $80 million on what was probably a ten million dollar budget. Remember Godzilla Minus One cost less than $15 million dollars to make.

Two movies can't save Hollywood's summer. (Also, Despicable Me is far more likely to be a hit than Inside Out 2.) Summers were a time when there was a hit movie or two premiering every single weekend, each generally making on it's own $100 million or more at the domestic box office in it's initial frame.

Neither of the films you mention is likely to hit a billion dollars worldwide. Again, Despicable Me 4 might, though. I'd say Inside Out 2, a sequel to a film nearly 10 years old, and with a reported $175 million dollar budget, is more likely to flop than to make be massively successful. Depending on marketing costs, the film will have to make $400-$500 million worldwide just to break even. Let's say it makes $800 million worldwide, although I think it's an overly generous assumption. If it does, though, that will make the film marginally profitable, since the foreign box office return (the percentage the studio actually gets of the box office take) is generally lower the domestic box office return.

Deadpool & Wolverine, with costs estimated at $220 million at the lowest, up to $275 million (again, which doesn't cover marketing), will have to do significantly better at the box office than the first two entries to be a big success. We'll see. That R rating isn't going to help.

Neither film is likely at all to be anywhere near as successful as, say, Barbie or Oppenheimer. Again, Despicable Me 4 has a decent chance to be, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1