• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Overperforms - An Analysis of Netflix's 2023 Viewership Data

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glordit

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 9:33 am Reply with quote
So, Netflix where's the rest of "Fout Knights of the Apocalypse"?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 10:18 am Reply with quote
I remember way back in the day when Adult Swim would air their ratings highlights, which was mostly there to crow about the popularity of their originals (and Family Guy) and the unpopularity of their anime in comparison. In addition to turning a generation of anime fans into self taught Nielsen data experts, it’s really funny to look at those ratings in comparison to Netflix’s reports and just how badly the adult animated comedies did in comparison.

For reference, two shows debuted on the same day during the six months that this list covered, Captain Fall, and Baki Hanma. Captain Fall managed to get only 5 million viewers and ranked at #391, where it was canceled. Baki was at #80, more popular than Sonic Prime (which surprised the hell out of me) and got around triple that. Funny the way the worm has turned. Still not as bad as Inside Job, whose parts were #818 and #988 respectively.
Seagloom

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Those numbers for My Happy Marriage are not surprising to me given my personal experience with it. It was one of the few series last year I could easily recommend to family who do not normally watch anime, but are open to trying out a show that appeals to them. Everyone I recommended My Happy Marriage to enjoyed it; with my mom in particular loving it.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
I remember way back in the day when Adult Swim would air their ratings highlights, which was mostly there to crow about the popularity of their originals (and Family Guy) and the unpopularity of their anime in comparison. In addition to turning a generation of anime fans into self taught Nielsen data experts, it’s really funny to look at those ratings in comparison to Netflix’s reports and just how badly the adult animated comedies did in comparison.

Well it helps that we’ve come long and far (for the most part) from the days of markets like the U.S. getting an anime years after it debuted in Japan and being aired on networks that either demand they be edited for kids or shown in the wee hours of the morning when few if anyone is going to be watching.

I would also add it weird as those blurbs were they weren’t entirely wrong. Obnoxious as it became Cowboy Bebop got over better than stuff like Pilot Canidate, Reign, Witch Hunter Robin, & Lupin.
ManjirouYaiba

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 6:30 pm Reply with quote
For the Franchise Chart, wouldn't it have been better to add each series' seasons viewership together rather than average them? It assumes that the average viewer is watching every single season of each series, when most people are keeping up with seasonal releases. It's just kind of weird to say that a series had X views when one season alone had >X.
LightningCount

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Waiting on that Spriggan Season 2 announcement... For me, it was one of Netflix's best anime investments, if not their best.
JennLegacy

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm really happy with how well My Happy Marriage performed. Aside from the Fruits Basket reboot, it was the first time in a long while that I had followed a shoujo anime while it was airing and it felt like everyone was actually watching it. I want to note that there was a period of time when Netflix had a decent pool of romance anime to choose from like Maid-sama and Ouran and even a lot of shonen/seinen romance shows like Toradora and CLANNAD. I feel like Netflix might've already had the data lying around that the audience was there for shoujo romances. It just took them a while to properly fund or license one themselves. Hope this is a sign for more to come.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 10:36 pm Reply with quote
JennLegacy wrote:
I feel like Netflix might've already had the data lying around that the audience was there for shoujo romances. It just took them a while to properly fund or license one themselves. Hope this is a sign for more to come.

They do have Kimi ni Todoke season 3 coming up!
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 6:47 am Reply with quote
Is this not one of the reasons why there is too much Anime being made? There are only so many timeslots on Japanese TV to air Anime, on Netflix there is no limit for how much Anime can be licenced.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 8:03 am Reply with quote
@MarshalBanana

Since Netflix funded shows are available as produced, Netflix is simply an additional TV network available to the Japanese public. It has the added advantage that they can watch the new episode at their own convenience instead of when broadcast.

The problem of "too much Anime being made" is simply an effect of more money being present in the anime market, much if not most from foreign sources. It doesn't matter if the money is from license fees or coproduction. I don't see the anime industry giving up that money. The continued expansion of anime production will come to an end naturally. Either they will hit the limit of human resources available to create it (which seems to be coming) or anime will cease to be as popular worldwide and the money will dry up.

I don't see there ever being a person or organization in a position to dictate how many shows can be made each year.
James02

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 9:57 am Reply with quote
Glordit wrote:
So, Netflix where's the rest of "Fout Knights of the Apocalypse"?

I had to dig around for any information and the only thing I could really find on it is that they are planning on releasing in it June 2024. I wonder why they are so slow.
Karasu-Lacryma

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Sad to see Pluto was not a hit! It is fascinating to see how Netflix went from a joke in terms of exclusive anime to one of the better platforms for them.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:48 pm Reply with quote
@Alan45 Yes, I did see the video by that former producer from Gainax(I think), who talked about how only so much can be invested in a single Anime, so lots of money ends up being spread thin.

Which makes a lot of companies responsible for this, Crunchyroll possibly being the worst. Netflix are still a big part of the issue, I would argue.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 6:55 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Quote:
Which makes a lot of companies responsible for this, Crunchyroll possibly being the worst. Netflix are still a big part of the issue, I would argue.

No specific companies or individuals are "responsible" for "too many anime" being made. All these companies are doing what is best for their company. Crunchyroll and Netflix are spending money to obtain content to stream on their channels. That is what they are supposed to do. The companies that normally invest in Production Committees, as the result of the foreign money are finding that their budgets for anime production go a lot further so they are authorizing additional shows. Again the point is to make money. The anime studios are hiring more people and opening new studios to create the shows they are offered. None of this is illegal or immoral, it is just the way business has worked since there were first businesses.

I would argue that there is no such thing as "too many anime" being made. As long as the market supports the industry at the current level it is not too much. To this I would add that the marginal shows that are authorized as the result of the available money probably include some of the good ones. If they do put out too many shows, or the quality goes to crap, some of the shows will fail in the market, either not be licensed or not make enough money in return. If the money available for the production of anime was reduced, either suddenly or slowly, the first thing that would happen is everyone would retrench. Production companies would authorize fewer shows and would likely concentrate on the most popular. This would result in a greater portion of cookie cutter shows and less diversity. Studios would let people off and the worst hurt would be the beginner animators at the bottom of the industry. It is possible that the mid range of animators would be let go since the beginners are cheaper to hire. This would likely hurt quality.

The thing to keep in mind is that there is no organization as the head of the anime industry that can control what the individual companies do. Absent government intervention, this process will continue until the money dries up or the industry cannot find anyway to get more shows made. Be careful what you wish for.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 4:33 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
No specific companies or individuals are "responsible" for "too many anime" being made. All these companies are doing what is best for their company. Crunchyroll and Netflix are spending money to obtain content to stream on their channels. That is what they are supposed to do. The companies that normally invest in Production Committees, as the result of the foreign money are finding that their budgets for anime production go a lot further so they are authorizing additional shows. Again the point is to make money. The anime studios are hiring more people and opening new studios to create the shows they are offered. None of this is illegal or immoral, it is just the way business has worked since there were first businesses.
I'm not saying that Netflix, Cruncyroll or any of the other companies licencing Anime, are solely responsible or what they are doing is not what's right for them as a company. Though, none-bespoke streaming services don't need to be investing that much into one small area. International investment is a good source of revenue, this was evident in the 00s before the bubble popped. However, streaming has not only driven up revenue, but also demand. The companies that normally invest in Production Committees, can only invest so much money into one title, so it overflows into other titles. I did try finding the article on how funding works, ANN reported on it, but I could not remember what it was titled.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2