• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
6 Interesting Things I Learned About Anime From the Legendary Producer Maruyama Masao Documentary

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#Droneku

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Come on Maruyama! You are the only who can bring Hajime no Ippo back from the dead!
tywhoppity

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 8:27 am Reply with quote
I thought he looked like the guy on Shirobako, lol!
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 11:15 am Reply with quote
"He has planning/producer credits in dozens upon dozens of anime—including everything from classics like Trigun and Perfect Blue to more modern works like In This Corner of the World and Pluto"

I feel confident also calling In This Corner of the World a true classic in league with those other two. Seeing the lengths both Katabuchi, Maruyama & others put into getting that film funded & produced never fails to amaze me. You can hear the latter's struggles in the article but Katabuchi basically lived in poverty to complete it, often having to choose between meals & the movie. And while I don't condone such levels of sacrifice, the passion of both men clearly shows.

Eight years later & current CEO Manabu Otsuka's chief view of the film is that it didn't make the studio enough money. Because what does the passion of people like Maruyama, Katabuchi or Yamamoto matter to corporate ghouls? It still makes my blood boil that the studio explicitly created with Maruyama's noble goals in mind could be distorted into a grotesque mockery of itself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1