• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Voice Actor Billy Kametz Passes Away at 35

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aresef

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:27 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
35 is no age, R.I.P It must have been a very aggressive form of cancer given that he wasn't diagnosed long ago. .

It was stage 4 and he hadn’t been experiencing any symptoms until he had nerve issues and trouble going to the bathroom and keeping stuff down. My dad died of stage 4 lung cancer. He had no idea until he thought he pulled something one day and his boss/neighbor told him to see a doctor.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:35 am Reply with quote
There's really a whole lot to unpack here. His age, his only having done anime voice acting for four years (and building up quite the resume in the medium after that, getting main and supporting roles practically out the gate), the diagnosis being stage 4, his passing coming less than two months after the announcement, all that coupled with the fact that I'm at risk of having colon cancer when I'm older thanks to a little thing called family history... Hard for me not to feel like shit hearing this news.

R.I.P.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:13 am Reply with quote
This hurts too much, honestly. This kinda reminds me of how Chadwick Boseman and Kirby Morrow passed away too. It was so sudden and I remember just not being able to function.

It probably sounds strange to react this way to someone I never got to meet, but my mom passed away to cancer around the same age to cancer. I feel like it's just a new, fresh wound every time.

I also didn't know that he and Erica Lindbeck were together until I read the obituary.

I really hope that she and his family can heal, as I can only imagine how much worse it is for them.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:04 am Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
There's really a whole lot to unpack here. His age, his only having done anime voice acting for four years (and building up quite the resume in the medium after that, getting main and supporting roles practically out the gate), the diagnosis being stage 4, his passing coming less than two months after the announcement, all that coupled with the fact that I'm at risk of having colon cancer when I'm older thanks to a little thing called family history... Hard for me not to feel like shit hearing this news.

R.I.P.

Indeed. I only just started getting to know his work recently. I don't watch Shield Hero or Jojo's, but I did see him in Promare, Cells at Work, Demon Slayer, some smaller stuff like Bungo and Alchemist, and what little of 86 I saw, and it's so sad that he's gone way too soon. fudge cancer. There's really no better way to say it. Cancer sucks. Billy deserved to live way more than he wound up doing. His family and friends have my deepest condolences. I wonder if this makes him the James Dean of anime, since he only got to work in anime for a short time but made a huge impact in the time he was here?

Whatever the case, may he rest in peace.
TrowaAyanami

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm absolutely heartbroken right now.

I met Billy back in 2020 at Shurikon in Dublin just a month before the Pandemic hit and he was such a nice person to hang out and chat with.

Even when he was telling his stories in the voice acting industry during his panel, you could instantly tell that he had such joy and passion in what he does that he just exuded nothing but positive energy.

Man, 35 is way too young and for cancer to take someone this kind and lovely away from us just feels like such a cruel joke.

Rest In Peace, Billy Kametz.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Let's hope that treatments like these:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2022/06/10/experimental-cancer-drug/
are developed and made available to as many people as possible quickly, so deaths like these get rarer and rarer.
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Oh damn, only 35?! That's way, way too young to go. :/ My condolences to his family and friends.

(Also, as someone with a condition that has a high risk for colon cancer, I'd just like to say - it's true that sometimes, like in his case apparently, there are no symptoms to notice; but if you notice something that seems even a little bit off, don't be too embarrassed to go to a doctor. You have nothing the doctors haven't seen before, and colon exams, while not pleasant, might just literally save your life.)
Regalli

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Truly tragic. When I heard ‘stage IV’, colon cancer, and where he’d apparently started noticing symptoms I was worried, but man, I was hoping that at least if it had progressed that far his loved ones would still have a bit longer with him. Ugh, ugh, ugh.
Aresef

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:54 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Oh damn, only 35?! That's way, way too young to go. :/ My condolences to his family and friends.

(Also, as someone with a condition that has a high risk for colon cancer, I'd just like to say - it's true that sometimes, like in his case apparently, there are no symptoms to notice; but if you notice something that seems even a little bit off, don't be too embarrassed to go to a doctor. You have nothing the doctors haven't seen before, and colon exams, while not pleasant, might just literally save your life.)

This is true. I'm an Orioles fan. Trey Mancini had a family history of colon cancer but didn't initially think anything of it when he lost a little pop going into spring training a couple years ago. But he was kinda lacking energy and whatnot so the team sent him for bloodwork. Next thing you know, he says it's Stage III and he's going in for surgery. He spent the rest of the year away from the game as he underwent chemo.
Mizerous

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Life is short live while you can. Shame he died so soon rip.
SourOkapi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:14 pm Reply with quote
This is so heartbreaking. I really thought he had more time. He was so talented. He will truly be missed
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:12 am Reply with quote
Just binged the last few episodes of S1 Shield Hero, I miss Mr. Kametz more than ever, he will forever be Naofumi to me...RIP Crying or Very sad
@ASAnime6

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:43 am Reply with quote
terrible news . his vid about it was so soon . it is hard
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:10 am Reply with quote
I was just wondering how he was doing, so this is not the update I wanted to see. It's almost surprising that his voice acting career wasn't longer considering what he brought to his roles, but some people manage to burst onto the scene like that.
Shadow Stand

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:50 am Reply with quote
That's just crazy. He was here. He was right here and now he's suddenly gone. Way, way too soon.

Greed1914 wrote:
I was just wondering how he was doing, so this is not the update I wanted to see. It's almost surprising that his voice acting career wasn't longer considering what he brought to his roles, but some people manage to burst onto the scene like that.

I was just thinking about him myself, hoping that he had gotten better or at least was really hanging in there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5