• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Umineko When They Cry PS4, Switch Game's Gameplay Trailer Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:15 pm Reply with quote
For those who want to experience this work blind (which I recommend) I suggest you don't watch this trailer at all.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Nescio wrote:
For those who want to experience this work blind (which I recommend) I suggest you don't watch this trailer at all.

yeah i don't know what in the hell they were thinking
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:22 am Reply with quote
Mr. Nescio wrote:

The same thing can be said for the trailer of pretty much anything ever.
This video doesn't really directly spoil much of anything that would skew one's experience with the series unless they specifically intend on going in blind, in which case they wouldn't look at a video like this anyway.

The key selling point of this product is that it basically contains every story the author's written for Umineko in one package, including some which are now freshly voiced for the first time, the two new stories written last year, and the fighting game to top it off. Thus, it's the natural conclusion to showcase each segment included in the game.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:06 am Reply with quote
BalmungHHQ wrote:
Mr. Nescio wrote:

The same thing can be said for the trailer of pretty much anything ever.
This video doesn't really directly spoil much of anything that would skew one's experience with the series unless they specifically intend on going in blind, in which case they wouldn't look at a video like this anyway.

The key selling point of this product is that it basically contains every story the author's written for Umineko in one package, including some which are now freshly voiced for the first time, the two new stories written last year, and the fighting game to top it off. Thus, it's the natural conclusion to showcase each segment included in the game.

Uhh I don't think every trailer is like that.
I think this is really marketed to people how are already very familiar with the series but i would agree that for someone completely new to the series its shows too much. That said it shows ALOT of characters and it's a freaking long trailer so again I don't think it's primary audience are newcomers.
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:45 am Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
I think this is really marketed to people how are already very familiar with the series but i would agree that for someone completely new to the series its shows too much. That said it shows ALOT of characters and it's a freaking long trailer so again I don't think it's primary audience are newcomers.

I agree that you're likely correct about the intention of the marketing. But it's still a video being put out with the knowledge that anyone can see it. This was taken into consideration and put out anyway.
My point is that we as existing fans aren't really in a position to dictate what is and isn't appropriate for "newcomers" to see. It's a problem I notice with fans of this franchise in particular, and it pains me to see because it comes off as strange and standoffish and drives potential new fans away. (Nothing kills people's motivation to check something out more than other people trying to micromanage what they can or can't know about it.)

Though to be fair, I understand there are people that want to try to preserve the experience from 2007-2010 when the story was still unfolding like a game of catchball with the author. But sadly, that was 10 years ago. It's okay for Umineko to promote itself on what it ended up being as a whole, rather than the surface level basics presented up front which don't really represent what it's all about. Honestly, if the franchise were seriously required to hide every single detail that could be considered a "spoiler", then marketing materials wouldn't even be allowed to show the female lead of the series...
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:58 am Reply with quote
BalmungHHQ wrote:
My point is that we as existing fans aren't really in a position to dictate what is and isn't appropriate for "newcomers" to see. It's a problem I notice with fans of this franchise in particular, and it pains me to see because it comes off as strange and standoffish and drives potential new fans away. (Nothing kills people's motivation to check something out more than other people trying to micromanage what they can or can't know about it.)

This is pretty much how I feel about Umineko these days, too. As much fun as it can be to watch a newbie muddle through the story unspoiled and pitching their theories, I feel less strongly about Umineko as a mystery than I do about Umineko's themes and ideas, to the point where I have purposely spoiled friends of mine on the main culprit and their motives as part of my recommendation to them. At the end of the day, to some people, spoiler["a heartfelt and respectful story about a trans woman struggling with abuse and suicidal ideation, that explicitly states that she deserves love, safety, respect and peace of mind"] is the part of Umineko that will resonate with them over 'timeloop murder mystery', even if the latter is the more prominent aspect.
pluvia33

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:05 am Reply with quote
Can someone PLEASE release this and the most recent console version of Higurashi (Hou) on PS4 and/or Switch in North America?! I've loved the Higurashi anime as one of my evergreen Top 5 favorite series of all time for well over a decade and actually didn't really hate the Umineko anime (although I didn't know what the hell was going on most of the time either). I really want to read the original visual novels, but I'm not a big fan of Ryukishi07's original art and would love to have it accompanied by the Japanese voice acting. Someone please make this happen? Please??
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:06 am Reply with quote
pluvia33 wrote:
Can someone PLEASE release this and the most recent console version of Higurashi (Hou) on PS4 and/or Switch in North America?! I've loved the Higurashi anime as one of my evergreen Top 5 favorite series of all time for well over a decade and actually didn't really hate the Umineko anime (although I didn't know what the hell was going on most of the time either). I really want to read the original visual novels, but I'm not a big fan of Ryukishi07's original art and would love to have it accompanied by the Japanese voice acting. Someone please make this happen? Please??

Umineko is available on Steam right now and there's free, fan-made patches available to make it match the console version of the game, which include full voice acting and spritework.
pluvia33

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:12 am Reply with quote
yurigasaki wrote:
pluvia33 wrote:

Umineko is available on Steam right now and there's free, fan-made patches available to make it match the console version of the game, which include full voice acting and spritework.

Oh, that's pretty neat! I would prefer to play through all of Higurashi first just in case there are some references/nuances that relating between the two that wasn't in the Higurashi anime, but I'll keep that in mind in case a slight miracle happens and at least Higurashi Hou does get a NA release. Well, unless there might be a similar fan patch for Higurashi out there?? Anyway, thanks for the tip! Anime smile
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:18 am Reply with quote
pluvia33 wrote:
yurigasaki wrote:
pluvia33 wrote:

Oh, that's pretty neat! I would prefer to play through all of Higurashi first just in case there are some references/nuances that relating between the two that wasn't in the Higurashi anime, but I'll keep that in mind in case a slight miracle happens and at least Higurashi Hou does get a NA release. Well, unless there might be a similar fan patch for Higurashi out there?? Anyway, thanks for the tip! Anime smile

If you've seen the Higurashi anime, you've pretty much seen everything in it that's relevant to Umineko – and you don't really need any Higurashi knowledge at all to enjoy Umineko to its fullest, imo. There's some callbacks both subtle and very much less so, and there's certain characters in it that are obviously connected in certain ways to the story of Higurashi, it's not like some deep VN-only lore you have to go scuba diving for.

Higurashi Hou is already complete in English on Steam, though, so if you'd really like to dig into the VN before moving onto Umineko, you could go purchase it right now if you felt like it.
pluvia33

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:25 am Reply with quote
yurigasaki wrote:
Higurashi Hou is already complete in English on Steam, though, so if you'd really like to dig into the VN before moving onto Umineko, you could go purchase it right now if you felt like it.

Haha! Just before you posted your reply, I actually searched for Higurashi on Steam just to see what versions/chapters they had on there and I saw that they had Higurashi Hou! Anime hyper And the first chapter can be played for free so I'll probably go ahead and try that out. Maybe there's hope that by the time I "play" through all of Higurashi, they could maybe have an official release of the "console" version of Umineko on Steam? I'm a slow reader and have a lot of other things going on, so who knows?! Thanks again for the info!
Cunning Linguist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:21 am Reply with quote
yurigasaki wrote:
pluvia33 wrote:

Going to mention, do NOT use 07th Mod, there is no reason to use an inferior patch in 2020, use Umineko Project
Wamsen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Damn, my curiosity was too high and I did watch it, it's insane how bad is this. I should have listened to your advice, to avoid nightmares this night. I saw the first trailer as well, it was nice, but this one is terrible. Seems like I will go back to playing WoW, because I wanna finish some quests and probably get a boost for Thorgast https://wowcarry.com/wow to get my legendary, because it's hard to play the game when you lose on gear, this is the fastest way to recover and be able to play some arenas.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1