• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Biggest Badass Forum Tournament

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:48 am Reply with quote
Round 4 Bracket C:

C4 Mikasa Ackerman (Attack on Titan) vs. C15 Nicolas Brown (Gangsta)
Voting for Mikasa because I'm still hoping for a final battle of the Ackermans!

C5 Integra Hellsing (Hellsing) vs. C7 Kenpachi Zaraki (Bleach)
While I'm definitely a bit more familiar with Kenpachi, I'm deferring to the others and going with Integra as my vote.

Round 4 Bracket D:

D1 Kamina (Gurren Lagann) vs. D22 Yusuke Urameshi (Yu Yu Hakusho)
This is a pretty tough choice since both Yusuke and Kamina are definite badasses. However, Kamina has a much larger badass attitude than Yusuke, so my vote will go to him.

D4 Kenshiro (Fist of the North Star) vs. D12 Roberta (Black Lagoon) vs. D20 Saito Hajime (Rurouni Kenshin)
Kenshiro is the quintessential badass of this group, maybe even of this tournament. Just his iconic line, "You are already dead" is enough to secure my vote, especially since he isn't lying or exaggerating when he says it!

Runner's Up Bracket Championships

Bracket 1:

D2 Jiraiya (Naruto) vs. D7 Gennousuke Kouga (Basalisk) vs. A22 Isaac Netero (Hunter x Hunter)

Bracket 2:

C19 Kakashi Hatake (Naruto) vs. D26 Shizuo Heiwajima (Durararara)
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:29 pm Reply with quote
New brackets and results will go up in a few hours after I make (and eat) dinner. So any late voters better squeak on in quickly.

Edit: And here are the results.

Round 4 Bracket C:

C4 Mikasa Ackerman (Attack on Titan) 3 vs. C15 Nicolas Brown (Gangsta) 4

C5 Integra Hellsing (Hellsing) 6 vs. C7 Kenpachi Zaraki (Bleach) 1

Round 4 Bracket D:

D1 Kamina (Gurren Lagann) 6 vs. D22 Yusuke Urameshi (Yu Yu Hakusho) 1

D4 Kenshiro (Fist of the North Star) 7 vs. D12 Roberta (Black Lagoon) 0 vs. D20 Saito Hajime (Rurouni Kenshin) 0

Runner's Up Bracket Championships

Bracket 1:

D2 Jiraiya (Naruto) 2 vs. D7 Gennousuke Kouga (Basalisk) 3 vs. A22 Isaac Netero (Hunter x Hunter) 2

Bracket 2:

C19 Kakashi Hatake (Naruto) 6 vs. D26 Shizuo Heiwajima (Durararara) 1

Mini Game Scores:
Psycho 101 - 16
Beltane70 - 12
Calathan - 12
Tony K - 12
Sentire - 12

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:58 pm Reply with quote
We are now at the championship matches for each of the 4 brackets. I am going to post all 4 of them this week. That will leave us the top 4 participants, the winner from each bracket. Next week there will be 2 match ups to see which 2 characters go to the final matchup. Traditionally the brackets have been done A vs B and C vs D like in a normal bracketed set of matches. What I am going to do next week is make the 2 matches based on the remaining character seeds. So the top seed will face the bottom, and the 2 in the middle will square off. Then the following week will be the final matchup for both the main tournament, and the runner's up. We're in the home stretch now.

As for the mini-game scores, all matchups in this round, and next week, are worth 5 points.

Bracket A Championship

A7 Guts (Berserk) vs. A11 Alucard (Hellsing)

Bracket B Championship

B1 Levi Ackerman (Attack on Titan) vs. B3 Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop)

Bracket C Championship

C15 Nicolas Brown (Gangsta) vs. C5 Integra Hellsing (Hellsing)

Bracket D Championship

D1 Kamina (Gurren Lagann) vs. D4 Kenshiro (Fist of the North Star)
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Bracket A Championship

I started writing about how Guts deserves credit for being as impressive as he is while still being a human being without magical powers. And it's true that he doesn't have any flashy magic or supernatural abilities. But he is superhuman--I don't care how strong you are or how young you started training with an adult's sword, the size of the blade that Guts swings around defies the laws of physics. Guts is superhuman, it's just a bit more subtle. Alucard is of course superhuman too, but it's in-your-face obvious. His personality may be a bit over the top, but I don't think that detracts from the fact that he's hot shit, he knows it, and he acts like it...perhaps more than anyone else in the tournament, really. Guts just isn't as impressive, regardless if we are talking about how powerful he is or how he acts.

Bracket B Championship

Much of what I wrote in the previous round about Spike applies here. If this were a contest for the coolest character or favorite character or most iconic character then I'd be voting Spike over nearly anyone else. But this is a tournament about the biggest badass, and I just don't think Spike is one. We've talked about how this tournament is mainly about attitude and aura--and Spike certainly has the cool, laid-back, attitude down pat. But I think a "Badass" needs something to back up that attitude, especially this far into the tournament. I'm not claiming that a character necessarily has to be super-powerful, but they need to have some kind of skill or ability that evokes awe in the viewer. We need to be impressed by the character's skill somehow: Perhaps that's amazing fist-fighting skills like many of the characters in the tournament have. Maybe it's top-notch mecha piloting skills instead. Perhaps it's incredible toughness or dedication. Deadly marksmanship, flashy magic, carefully crafted political strategies, or impressive leadership skills are other things that many of the characters in the tourney possess. But that's where I see Spike falls flat. He doesn't really have any impressive skills or other qualities to back up his attitude. He's a decent shot and he can hold his own with martial arts against ordinary human opponents but none of those skills demonstrated are impressive, especially compared to the competition in the tournament. I like Spike a lot, but I have a hard time voting for him in a badass tournament specifically.

Bracket C Championship

I think this comes down to attitude, and IMHO Integra has the upper hand here.

Bracket D Championship

I flip-flopped back and forth on this one but I ended up going with Kenshiro because I think I take is character more seriously than Kamina. Kamina is certainly a badass among badasses but I think he also comes across as a bit of a caricature so I'm going to give this to Kenshrio by a hair.

Last edited by AkumaChef on Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Bracket A Championship

I have to give this to Guts, he's just at the apex of badassery for me...the things he's had to go through in his life would take most people down and out, but he just keeps growing and over coming everything that comes for him, from bad people, betrayal from friends, his own expectations of things, whole armies, demons...his muscles grow as does his reputation for a good reason.

Bracket B Championship

Honestly, this one feels like the hardest choice, I could make arguments for either depending how I look at it. I may still flip-flop on this.

Bracket C Championship

Bracket D Championship

Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Bracket A Championship

While Alucard is certainly the more powerful character, I have to give this to Guts, mainly because Alucard only rarely seems challenged by his opponents. It's easy for Alucard to look like a badass, since he actually is more powerful than basically anything else in his series. Guts on the other hand takes on monsters as a mere mortal, but seems like a badass even when compared to them.

Bracket B Championship

I just find Levi more badass than Spike. Again, its a matter of taking on beings physically much stronger than himself, yet managing to seem like a far more dangerous foe than any of them. Plus, while Spike is fairly badass, I don't think I would consider him a champion-level badass. He's strong and confident, but not overwhelmingly so, unlike some of the other remaining characters.

Bracket C Championship

I've still not watched Gangsta, but regardless, I'm giving this to Integra for her tough-as-nails attitude. She has an mental toughness and intensity to her that few characters can match.

Bracket D Championship

Kenshiro is still the character I think of first when I think of anime badasses. He has everything trait I think of in a badass character, including a calm but confident attitude, overwhelming strength, skill beyond mere brute strength, mental toughness, an intimidating presence, a powerful-looking appearance, etc.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:44 pm Reply with quote

I've said it before, I'll say it, again. He is Count Dracula, the legendary mythological myth of legend from which all vampires spawn, who fights under the command of a normal, superpower-less Protestant woman, controls a horde of millions of souls in which he's devoured over his lifetime, and all in an effort to eradicate (even more?) radicalized vampire Nazis. How is that not one of the most badass character summaries in existence for, probably, the most famous figure in supernatural lore?

And I say this with much, much love for Guts, as I'm a super-vindictive person, myself, and absolutely love revenge as a motivational driving force. But honestly, after reading more of the manga, some of the drawn-out slow parts kinda' kill his mojo. He'll be giddy with bloodlust one moment, but then calm, sometimes even relieved, a few pages, later, because of his comedy relief compatriots, Puck and Isidro.

And then it devolves into him relying on the Berserker Armor to give him that extra boost, since the thing feeds off his rage. As strong, stalwart, and tenacious as he was during his 100-man battle, survival of The Eclipse, and single-handedly taking out many an Apostle, I feel that vengeful tone and maniacal swagger isn't as consistent and non-stop as it should be, like an on/off switch, as it takes breaks for his body to heal, to introduce and build other characters, or even to expand on Apostles, let alone, give an actual explanation on what the Godhand's endgame is.

Alucard, on the other hand, seems to only be limited by having Integra giving the go-ahead commands to unlock his abilities. If not for whatever pact he made with the original Van Hellsing so long ago, he'd probably rule the world, already. But I feel that his unfathomable power and forced-pact power-check is what adds to his overall mythos. There is no ceiling to his ability, only the requirement to use more or less of it.

Guts, however, has to keep extending his ceiling, either with more people or items to assist him, which I feel, is a bit of a cop-out.
----------

I actually like Spike more. But since I'm voting against Guts, I'll vote Levi, who also has a vindictive chip on his shoulder.
----------

I'm still a believer that Nic got a lot of his abilities from drugs and his personality from paternal abuse. That's not cool. Integra controls, arguably, the strongest being on the planet, and does so without the use of drug-induced powers or personality issues. She's pure grit and determination tasked with defending the world.
----------

Kamina has already lost...

But seriously, Kenshiro epitomizes macho-ness with his martial arts abilities and philosophies. He's top-tier, both, physically and mentally. I can't even begin to imagine how much influence he's had on the writing of other characters throughout anime/manga history.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:51 am Reply with quote
Bracket A Championship:

A7 Guts (Berserk) vs. A11 Alucard (Hellsing) - I think the point about Guts not being consistently badass is the biggest factor here for me. Yes he has to keep pushing his ceiling unlike Alucard, but that is badass that he can do that. Sure his armor later on makes a big difference, but that to me is no different than Alucard using his abilities. You use the tools you have to elevate yourself. The thing is while it is over the top Alucard is king shit of the mountain. He knows it. He acts like it. Even in his "off time" that swagger factor and aura is still there. Plus while we don't see the struggles of his past it's not as if he just magically got these powers without plenty of suffering when just a mortal. Due to all these factors I gotta give him the win.

Bracket B Championship:

B1 Levi Ackerman (Attack on Titan) vs. B3 Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) - I think both are badasses, but I think Spike does suffer more from badass moments, as opposed to simply having a more badass aura. Levi exudes this badass don't F with me I can mess you up aura more than Spike. If this was a coolest character or most suave character matchup then yea Spike wins. I just think there's too many times where he's more aloof or just laid back to beat Levi in a badass matchup. Or in a straight up fight for that matter.

Bracket C Championship:

C15 Nicolas Brown (Gangsta) vs. C5 Integra Hellsing (Hellsing) - As much as I love Nicolas this is a no brainer. See all my previous comments on why Integra would just dominate him and do it with a cocky smile on her face.

Bracket D Championship:

D1 Kamina (Gurren Lagann) vs. D4 Kenshiro (Fist of the North Star) - This is the hardest for me I think both are equally badass, in many of the same ways but also some different ones. The thing is I think mentally Kenshiro has it more together. I think his aura and swagger is more natural to a degree than Kamina. I think his requires more effort. I also think without Kenshiro as a mold we'd not have a character like Kamina. So I gotta narrowly give it to Kamina.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:43 am Reply with quote
Bracket A Championship

Since I'm not getting my Ackerman vs Ackerman matchup, I may as well go for a contest between Hellsing characters!

Bracket B Championship

If this was a contest between who I like more, Spike would be getting my vote. However, seeing what Levi has gone up against and survived, I definitely feel that he is way more of a badass than Spike is.

Bracket C Championship

Looking over previous rounds, Integra consistently had more votes in her victories than Nicholas did in his. Since I'm not overly familiar with either character, I'm using their previous results to pick Integra as my winner.

Bracket D Championship

I honestly don't think it's even remotely possible that Kamina could ever be as much as a badass as Kenshiro. Like Psycho 101 said, Kenshiro is pretty much the mold of badasses,
Sentire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Bracket A Championship

Guts is bad-ass, but Alucard has an intensity to it... or almost more deep.

Bracket B Championship

Hmmm, to be frank, neither one are my number one pick for this tournament. I would say, though that I do think generally both are bad-ass - but I would give it to Levi for consistency sake.

Bracket C Championship

Oh, man! I really like Nicolas. But Integra has the edge here, I think. Although, I have gone back and forth on this one. I feel like there is a little more depth to Integra's story. It's hard for me to explain.

Bracket D Championship

Stab me in the heart. Sad Please forgive me Kamina! I still adore you!!! Man, I hated make this vote. I think it's Kenshiro's ferocity that wins it.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Here are the results. Sorry, I legitimately lost a day and thought today was Monday. Between trying to schedule covid shots, our house closing, packing, switching bills, I am losing all track of time lately.

I will say I am surprised a bit this round. I figured the A & D brackets would be neck and neck.

Bracket A Championship:

A7 Guts (Berserk) 2 vs. A11 Alucard (Hellsing) 5

Bracket B Championship:

B1 Levi Ackerman (Attack on Titan) 7 vs. B3 Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) 0

Bracket C Championship:

C15 Nicolas Brown (Gangsta) 0 vs. C5 Integra Hellsing (Hellsing) 7

Bracket D Championship:

D1 Kamina (Gurren Lagann) 0 vs. D4 Kenshiro (Fist of the North Star) 7

Mini-Game scores:
Beltane70 - 20
Psycho 101 - 20
Tony K - 20
Sentire - 20
Calathan - 15

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:01 pm Reply with quote
With the results from just this past week we have our overall semi final matchups. This is where the winners of each Bracket are squaring off to see who makes it to the final matchup. Our top 4 competitors are ready to throw down. Are there any surprises that you didn't see coming thus far? I'm just curious. Onto the 2 matches. Once again I did these based on overall seeding.

Overall Semi-Final Matchups:

B1 Levi Ackerman (Attack on Titan) vs. A11 Alucard (Hellsing)

D4 Kenshiro (Fist of the North Star) vs. C5 Integra Hellsing (Hellsing)
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 8:44 am Reply with quote
I was surprised that Kamina didn't get any votes but the outcome of that bracket didn't surprise me.

I think I've mentioned a few times now that I do think Levi is a badass, but I don't think his badassery is at the levels needed to hang around with many of the others at the higher levels of this tournament. He's a badass solider, yeah, but he's nowhere near Alucard's level when it comes to a fight. And in terms of swagger and machismo Alucard has him beat as well. Levi, you're awesome, but you're not as awesome as Dracula himself.

I think Integra's absolutely incredible determination and commanding personality have gotten her very far in this tournament. There are many characters here who are more powerful than her but there are hardly any who have the stones to stand up to characters like Alucard, let alone boss him around. That's enough for me to give her the vote over everyone she's been up against this far. But while she is an incredible badass I don't think that's enough for her to edge out Kenshiro, he's just too incredible in terms of both aura and power.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 4:14 am Reply with quote

Ironically, both semi-final matchups are between pairings of superhumans vs. regular humans. That being said, I think this is where powers and abilities start to make the difference. And it's not even about the hypothetical physics of different franchises versus the other, but more so how those physical capabilities affect those characters' auras and attitudes.

Alucard with his thousands of years worth of knowledge and tactics, millions of souls as his minions, dark magic, transformation abilities, and general vampire powers. Kenshiro with his Hokuto Shinken martial arts that can disable, paralyze, heal, or explode his opponents with a single touch. That's some seriously crazy over-the-top shit. And as cool as Levi and Integra are from a personality perspective, Alucard and Kenshiro are basically gods with those kinds of powers, in addition to already being pretty cool.

So yeah, that's my argument for both. If it comes down to Alucard vs. Kenshiro, I think we'll actually have to argue the aforementioned hypothetical physics, though. Both of their attitudes are at an equal level, in my opinion. It just comes down to who we argue might be the better fighter. Should be exciting Very Happy!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 3:33 pm Reply with quote

B1 Levi Ackerman (Attack on Titan) vs. A11 Alucard (Hellsing) - Not sure what else can be said at this point. Alucard just exudes that badass aura in all aspects of his life and behavior. From his attitude, swagger, way he treats his enemies, and how he uses his vast array of powers. The man simply turned the badass dial up to 11 and left it there. Yes he's over the top and was designed to be, that doesn't change the facts though. Especially when it's basically him vs an army of neo nazis, supernatural creatures, and the laws of physics itself. The big difference between he and Levi I think is the attitude aspect. Levi can turn that badass dial up to 11 himself, and in his series he is one of the biggest badasses bar none. Alucard though, like I said, turned that dial up to 11 and left it there. Take away all their powers and just go by personality and swagger/aura and he wins.

D4 Kenshiro (Fist of the North Star) vs. C5 Integra Hellsing (Hellsing) - This comes down to the point I just made above. Swagger and attitude. In terms of raw power obviously Kenshiro is goona wipe the floor with Integra. Almost everyone in Hellsging 1 on 1 could do that to her. Yet she still wades right in at the front and doesn't give a shit even if she is just human compared to damn near everyone else. Her cojones are the size of coconuts. They have to be to keep Alucard, and the Hellsing organization, in check. She is a master tactician, never backs down, and has that knob turned up to 11 herself. Kenshiro does not have that same dial turned up all the time. If he did I'd be giving this to him. Integra does though. She has to in order to basically be the master of Alucard who also has his badass dial jacked up to 11. It's in that pure aura, swagger, and just confidence in herself that pushes her over the top here. If you're a good person Kenshiro will just walk right by you. Good or bad Integra demands your attention and you take notice of that willpower.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 21