• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Canadian Cosplayer Arrested in Japan on Suspicion of False Marriage

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Wait, I'm actually kind of confused by this whole thing. Were they doing some kind of pretend marriage thing, like some sort of role-playing, but it's illegal and they were arrested for it?
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:37 pm Reply with quote
she was paying him to be her sham husband for immigration purposes.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:38 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Wait, I'm actually kind of confused by this whole thing. Were they doing some kind of pretend marriage thing, like some sort of role-playing, but it's illegal and they were arrested for it?

Japan has some of the world's strictest immigration laws. Marriage, like in most places, is a legitimate means of establishing legal residence, but most countries will generally prosecute fraudulent marriages conducted purely for the benefit of obtaining legal residence, which appears to be the case here.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
#sukkar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:38 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Yes. This is an illegal practice because it gives someone the ability to prolong their stay in a country under false pretenses. I don't know how many countries it's illegal in, but it's also most certainly illegal in the US.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I get it now. She couldn't get some form of citizenship, so she did this as an attempt to stay in Japan for longer? (How was she able to live in Japan to begin with?)
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Oh great a typical marriage for citizenship then bail cases, seriously, that's illegal in all of the developed world, including the US. It's more common with mail order brides though.
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:09 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Ah, I get it now. She couldn't get some form of citizenship, so she did this as an attempt to stay in Japan for longer? (How was she able to live in Japan to begin with?)

It says she had a student visa for 4 years, but did the fake marriage to stay after it expired.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:11 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

The article says she started as a student.

She probably wanted to work in some kind of job (ie cosplay modeling) not usually up for a visa for foreigners.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:00 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
Japan has some of the world's strictest immigration laws. Marriage, like in most places, is a legitimate means of establishing legal residence, but most countries will generally prosecute fraudulent marriages conducted purely for the benefit of obtaining legal residence, which appears to be the case here.

Actually, Japan's immigration laws are relatively lax. HOWEVER, the language barrier acts as a filter of sorts, which is why you generally see foreigners working McJobs at convenience stores or bars unless they're fluent in Japanese and have something to offer society. In this case as a "sex industry worker," the girl was likely a hostess at a cabaret club, or got busted for actual prostitution.

Last edited by Compelled to Reply on Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:21 am; edited 1 time in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Ah, thanks for the clarification. I don't know very much about how immigration to Japan works, though I can understand why the things she did would be illegal.

So does this mean she's going to a Japanese prison? If so, I guess she has managed to make her stay in Japan longer, just not where she had intended.
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:45 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Ah, thanks for the clarification. I don't know very much about how immigration to Japan works, though I can understand why the things she did would be illegal.

So does this mean she's going to a Japanese prison? If so, I guess she has managed to make her stay in Japan longer, just not where she had intended.

She will be deported.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:06 pm Reply with quote
and will probably never be allowed back in, even as a visitor.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:00 am Reply with quote
This type of story has anime potential. Giving how the current American political climate on immigration, such an anime could be have streaming success here. It's also not that often we see such a story tying Japanese pop culture stuff with immigration. I wonder how CNN or Fox News would spin this if they reported it.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:20 am Reply with quote
[quote="Compelled to Reply"]
VORTIA wrote:
the girl was likely a hostess at a cabaret club, or got busted for actual prostitution.

While I'm guessing she worked at some hostess club (just a guess), the news clearly states she was arrested for marriage fraud.
When you apply for a marriage visa, you have to go in on multiple occasions to be interviewed and tested to see if you're not committing marriage fraud (they ask you questions about your partner separately, and only if they match are you in the clear). Doesn't stop a lot of people (and if it does, they usually will just not give you the visa, not arrest you, as far as I know), but in this case, someone put in a tip that she was committing marriage fraud, hence the arrest.

-Someone from Japan who is desperately trying to get permanent residency and hates visas lol
Sparvid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:35 am Reply with quote
Compelled to Reply wrote:
In this case as a "sex industry worker," the girl was likely a hostess at a cabaret club, or got busted for actual prostitution.

It doesn't give a timeline for when she did that, but last I checked, while a student visa allows for working X amount of hours/week, it specifically does not allow the person to work in (legal) "adult entertainment" businesses, such as host clubs and pachinko parlors.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3