• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Watch Cardcaptor Sakura's New Interactive Clow Cards & Sealing Wand in Action

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Sooo, that's over 250 dollars to get everything (except for the shoulder-riding Kero).

That and shipping....

Despite how much I love this, that's a no on my part.
Sheriru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Japan creates some great Techic Stuff but FAIL at Audio Parts. I was pumped before i watched the Video, but it went straight down after hearing those horrible plastic echo noises. It sure makes it Sound like a Childrens Toy.
Yikes.
You can keep it Japan.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:27 pm Reply with quote
An immensely fun idea but I think for that price it should've sounded better than light-up talking toys I had in the 90s. Sorry, CCS. I love you as a series but this I have to pass on.
Halko

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:29 pm Reply with quote
To be fair its impossible to get reasonable audio quality from a watch battery and portable speaker. For it to sound nice it would be much more expensive or require an outlet/smartphone to function.
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:43 pm Reply with quote
This is absolutely amazing. I do have my grievances which I'll elaborate more on in my reviews (shameless plug), but this is something that I've always wanted to see since I was a kid.

Also, maybe it's just because I am very familiar with the toy collecting scene, but Japanese toys are almost always this expensive. Just look at the prices for Kamen Rider, Super Sentai and Precure toys. Yes, parents pay these prices for toys for their kids.

Sheriru wrote:
Japan creates some great Techic Stuff but FAIL at Audio Parts. I was pumped before i watched the Video, but it went straight down after hearing those horrible plastic echo noises. It sure makes it Sound like a Childrens Toy.
Yikes.
You can keep it Japan.

Sounds perfectly fine to me.
NateSelwyn25

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:49 pm Reply with quote
And we can all blame Sailor Moon for these prices. Since the 20th anniversary merchandise line started. Bandai has been routinely charging $100 for something that, at best, is a $30 toy. I own a number of the Sailor Moon proplicas(because I am kinda nuts), and none of them are really worth the price I paid for them. I love them dearly, but other than fancy paint and being made super fragile, the actual quality isn't even on the same level as some of my recent-series Super Sentai mecha.
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote
NateSelwyn25 wrote:
And we can all blame Sailor Moon for these prices. Since the 20th anniversary merchandise line started. Bandai has been routinely charging $100 for something that, at best, is a $30 toy. I own a number of the Sailor Moon proplicas(because I am kinda nuts), and none of them are really worth the price I paid for them. I love them dearly, but other than fancy paint and being made super fragile, the actual quality isn't even on the same level as some of my recent-series Super Sentai mecha.

You have to remember that you have the licensing fees and seiyuu fees to go along with those. Not to mention, the Proplica line is meant for adult collectors and are prop replicas, not necessarily toys. However, that's besides the point because the prices for roleplay toys have always been steep.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:40 pm Reply with quote
The card sets look quite impressive! Smile The talking Sealing Wand is alright if one doesn't mind the below-average audio quality.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I would like the cards. Just to bust out from my back pocket.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Asterisk-CGY wrote:

Back when the show first came out here the cards were available as a full set. You could probably still find them on eBay. They came in a tacky plastic "Book" but the cards were nice.
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Asterisk-CGY wrote:

Back when the show first came out here the cards were available as a full set. You could probably still find them on eBay. They came in a tacky plastic "Book" but the cards were nice.

Yes, that would be the Trendmasters version. There were two more versions available, a Bandai one and a Kodansha one, both released in 1999. The Bandai version was rereleased in 2004 (which is rarer than the original, go figure), while the Kodansha version saw a reprint in 2015. If you can only pick just one set up, I highly recommend getting the Bandai version. It's by far the most accurate and nicest looking.

Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Yes, that's it. I didn't keep the box it came in so I have no idea which version it is. They started releasing the show here in 2000 so it is likely on of the 1999 versions you mention. I picked it up at an ordinary toy store as they were trying to get the show to break out. My copy looks like the photo except the wings on Kero are yellow rather than white as are the card figures.

At the same time I also found some funny looking rubbery dolls in various outfits and a plush Kero-chan.
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:43 pm Reply with quote
If you got yours in the US it's probably the Trendmasters version. The books and cards are actually completely different in terms of material, design and detail. As you mentiond, the Trendmasters' book is plastic while the Bandai one is actually made out of proper "book" material.

Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:49 am Reply with quote
Yes, that is it. I don't remember that box though. Of course it has been quite a while.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:13 am Reply with quote
Everything that I heard in the article sounded fine to me, and I did not hear the real wand. I heard a copy of a recording that was streamed over the Internet and played through the speakers of my laptop. The real thing might have been better.

My days of buying merchandise like this are long in the past, but I am very interested in what is being done with technology now.
Even though the products are not for me I do like these articles.

And I do have one of those old Clow Books with a complete set of cards.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2