• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Knights of Sidonia Offers Official 3D Models For Sale to the Public

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:18 pm Reply with quote
But looking at the site, it doesn't include the rights to actually USE these characters for anything at all outside of your own personal use.

Just posting a 30 second video you made with them to youtube is a violation of the IP... There's no such thing as fair use in Japanese law.

I mean sure, you could create awesome mock battles and render them on your own computer for only you to view. But if you wanted to show your work to someone else you'll need the rights to use these characters...

So what in the world would be the purpose of buying these? You don't even have the rights to modify the model data at all, so you can't like "original" up the models or use than as a base for anything either.

Do people seriously sit in their apartments and play around with virtual models all day only for personal use and never show their work to anyone? Without usage rights this is extremely pointless.
Via_01

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:27 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
But looking at the site, it doesn't include the rights to actually USE these characters for anything at all outside of your own personal use.

Just posting a 30 second video you made with them to youtube is a violation of the IP... There's no such thing as fair use in Japanese law.

I mean sure, you could create awesome mock battles and render them on your own computer for only you to view. But if you wanted to show your work to someone else you'll need the rights to use these characters...

So what in the world would be the purpose of buying these? You don't even have the rights to modify the model data at all, so you can't like "original" up the models or use than as a base for anything either.

Do people seriously sit in their apartments and play around with virtual models all day only for personal use and never show their work to anyone? Without usage rights this is extremely pointless.

I think they intend them to be something like... virtual figurines? Like, to exhibit them on your computer instead of your shelf. That's the only way I can make some sense out of it.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:18 am Reply with quote
Imma assume that is why they are charging people for some of the models, they want people to say use MMD or some other program to promote the models as a means to saturate the field and get people used to the 3D animation models as a means of story telling beyond there limited series productions.

This is little different than say in the West where people use Gary's Mod and make cartoon skits with the Team Fortress characters.

Thinking of which, I would be unsurprised if someone makes a Gmod skit WITH the KoS characters within the near future, especially with the "free" models.
partially

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:58 am Reply with quote
There is no fair-use and yet there is a massive doujin market that is conveniently ignored.

The models could be used to make fan comics and even used in fan games I guess.

To be honest I had been planning to see Sidonia but hadn't gotten around to it yet. After seeing how low quality these models are I am not so sure I want to. Rolling Eyes
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:27 am Reply with quote
partially wrote:
There is no fair-use and yet there is a massive doujin market that is conveniently ignored.

The models could be used to make fan comics and even used in fan games I guess.

To be honest I had been planning to see Sidonia but hadn't gotten around to it yet. After seeing how low quality these models are I am not so sure I want to. Rolling Eyes

Yeah, I suppose the purpose is to sell these to people who then release doujin or web videos that they then "choose" not to prosecute.

I wonder if someone could bring a lawsuit against them for facilitating the IP copyright violation of their own property Smile
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:34 am Reply with quote
Well I guess it's the modern version of selling cells.
The interesting 3d models are quite pricey in my opinion. Crying or Very sad
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Although only the dude comes shirtless, and even then, he's got pants. So I'm sure that spoils the fun for some would-be doujiners. Wink
Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the warning, samuelp.

In a way, this kinda of dumb for them to sell these. Its new thing to sell, but beware the buyer if you try to use it.

I wonder if their changing things up before they aire next part of the series or a complete new one based on this.
Suena

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, after a quick look it seems like you can use them for non-commercial use. So yes, it looks you could use them for MMD and publicly post the video, as long as you weren't profiting from it or otherwise violating the usage agreement.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm no 3D artist myself, but I've spent a lot of time around some very talented ones, and even with my inexpert eye, these models look extremely low-detail. I mean, I guess they're sufficient for your typical weekly limited-animation series (I haven't seen the show myself to tell either way), but I can practically count the polies on that mech. Not good.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Suena wrote:
Hmmm, after a quick look it seems like you can use them for non-commercial use. So yes, it looks you could use them for MMD and publicly post the video, as long as you weren't profiting from it or otherwise violating the usage agreement.

That's the gray area in the law, see.

The agreement is that you can use the models for non-commercial use, but it also explicitly says that it does not confer any of the intellectual property rights to the characters the models represent.
So yeah, you can use the models according to the agreement, but technically you still can't use the characters the models represent without getting explicit permission according to Japanese IP law.

That being said clearly the intent is that they would allow people to do what they want as long as it's non-commercial, but they also want to reserve the right to take down anything they don't like... leaving it in this gray area works for that.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:43 am Reply with quote
This is stupid. The character models themselves look so badly textured, and include any lack of detail. As an amateur animator, I know that anyone who'd know how to actually use these models could just make them themselves. Seriously; I'm pretty crap at Autodesk Maya, but I could still make a better version of those Mecha if given a couple of days.

Althouh I appreciate the support to the animating community this series is doing, I don't think that it'll go well.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:23 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I'm no 3D artist myself, but I've spent a lot of time around some very talented ones, and even with my inexpert eye, these models look extremely low-detail. I mean, I guess they're sufficient for your typical weekly limited-animation series (I haven't seen the show myself to tell either way), but I can practically count the polies on that mech. Not good.

Yeah, also coming from a not-a-3D-artist-myself position, the models from the pictures shown really are super low-detailed. I'd hope that maybe the models actually look better once you actually buy and download them, but then why would they advertise them with such a 'meh' quality to them….

It's a real shame, too. Having just (finally!) completed Knights of Sidonia on Netflix, I can confidently say that the models in the actual series are much better textured or at least better shaded. The ones pictured here, sans the faces, look like they're from the early production stages. Please don't let these models deter you from seeing a legitimately cool sci-fi anime that's really competently animated and directed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1