• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Haikyuu To The Top has commited capital crime. The previous seasons had these these awesome animated commercial breaks (eye catches? I think that's the correct term, but with them being animated it always make me doubt). There was a lot of variety and each showcased the personalities of the characters involved. They were great and they were funny. This 4th(?) season of Haikyuu has replaced those with these lame animated animal mascot thingies. They suck. I remember some people didn't like how the 4th season apparently changed the character designs and I personally haven't even noticed the difference, but I raise my fist in righteous fury for what they did to my animated eye catches.

I agree about the dumb eye catches, which seemed designed to sell plushie merch, but I also hated the new character designs.

3 1/2 years ago I wrote:
...I'm never going to forgive them for what they've done to poor Asahi. Because they're too lazy to draw his hairline properly, it looks like they threw a bad wig on his head, one discarded by Trump's stylist. It's like he was drop-shipped in from a Saturday morning cartoon. He just doesn't look like an anime character anymore.

... ... ...

People say these designs look more like the manga, but no, he does not look like that in the manga images I've seen. I feel like crying every time he's on screen now. Sad
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Well, yeah, looking at them side by side, I can see the difference and I can say that I also prefer the old Asahi design. But it's been like 2 or 3 years since I watched season 3 and the designs are close to enough to match my faded memory.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:12 am Reply with quote
Heaven Official's Blessing (Tian Guan Ci Fu) is back for season 2 and I couldn't be more delighted. I have no idea what's going on, in part because it's been awhile since season 1; in part because I am really bad at remembering character names in general, and Chinese names just do not stick in my brain for five seconds (and part of that is that what I hear is different from how it seems like they'd be pronounced from what's written); in part because so many characters have multiple titles they're known by, plus all the spiritual jargon that goes with the territory of this genre. But do I care? When something looks this stunningly gorgeous, I do not. Plus one thing I'll give most donghua, the OSTs are amazingly poignant and evocative. The OPs and EDs are worth sitting through every time for both music and imagery.

So in order to help me reorient myself with this story, I'm rewatching Funi's dub, so I only have the name pronunciations to deal with, and no subs to read. It's actually a pretty decent dub, though Wendee Lee is the only voice I recognize. It's making a bit more sense, though I'd forgotten just how bad the CGI zombies were during that sequence. Fortunately not much of that.

But ah, what a romantic scene, cross-dressing as a lovely bride on a night time stroll through a dead forest, with corpses hanging from the trees and a rain of blood gently falling from the branches as your mysterious bridegroom crushes skulls beneath his light bootsteps. And how thoughtful! He brought an umbrella to share. Very Happy
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:27 pm Reply with quote
A voice actress whose voice I've been hearing in anime for many years now suddenly pulls off a voice that I can barely recognize and is completely different from her usual style. Started watching Tomo-chan is a Girl! and in the first episode there were just a few moments here and there where Tomo sounded a tiny bit like Rie Takahashi. Tomo's voice is so much gruffer and deeper than I've ever heard from Takahashi that I figured that I must have been imagining things, but just to confirm I had to look up who voices Tomo and lo and behold it is Rie Takahashi.

This discovery has just deepened my appreciation for Takahashi. Explooooosion.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Other than watching a bunch of the new season and continuing shows from last season, I'm finally watching an older mecha anime saeries, Round Vernian Vifam, a show that I've known about since the late-80s, but never got around to seeing until now.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I just tried this HiDive streaming thing (the legal way to watch Made in Abyss, Oshi no Ko, Amagi Brilliant Park, Princess Tutu, Sakamoto, No Game No Life, and basically anything that's not on Crunchyroll or Netflix).

I can't be alone in thinking that these subtitles are awkwardly too close to the middle of the screen. Like, this is a problem. It's very distracting and sometimes covers up the show.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why I'm still watching Kawagoe Boys Sing -Now or Never-. It makes no sense and the singing is so-so and the lyrics are so bad I think they must be intended as a parody of idol show songs that tend to be all about smiling, or being the most awesome band, or overcoming to do your best, or sometimes about a girlfriend. I mean, get a load of this from ep 7:

It's tantalizing
My fist closes around a karashi lotus root
The smell stings the inside of my nose
From the bottom of a ditch as dark as boiled soy sauce
I look up at the sky
I went to a convenience store to pay my utility bills
And gave up my seat to a man bent over with age
Burn deep red
My molars, my wisdom teeth, sting
Sitting on a bench, I unwrap the root and munch
As I chew on that, I think, should I head north? Or south?
To the east, or the west?
Devour that horse mackerel, devour even the bones
Rebuild your ties with others
And then build your own bones yourself
With the sun!

What appears to be shaping up as the theme song is a little better, sticking to the usual "we can do it" sentiments:

You must believe it, not just feel it
Even if you made careless mistakes
Like shining lights down through the cloud
Now's the time, Yes you can
Give us the desire to open the doors to our souls
If I lose my mind, don't worry
Out from darkness, be alright
Do our thing, won't worry about anything
We have no choice but to do it
Now or never
Don't let go
This road is endless but we're gonna make it
Don't let go
We have no choice but to do it
Now or never
Don't let go
This mountain's high, ain't visible
But we're gonna make it
Don't let go
Now you know better
Now or never

Hopefully they'll revise the lyrics a bit, but honestly, I don't think they can be saved. I guess the only reason I still watch this, despite hating nearly all the characters, is that I can just zone out and even ffwd during half of it so it doesn't take much time and is just to rest my mind for a minute. But man, that first song really made me do a double take when it started talking about teeth and building bones with the sun. Vitamin D, I guess.
Aresef

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:46 am Reply with quote
Like a lot of people, I just finished Scott Pilgrim Takes Off. I'm glad the marketing misled us. I ended up blindsided with a Ramona-led story that allowed for her and the gallery of side characters to flourish. The show wisely acknowledges how much Scott sucks and disposes of him fairly quickly. Young Neil was delightfully dumb. Roxy and her relationship with Ramona were handled with maturity. In many ways (sometimes more obviously than others), this is Bryan Lee O'Malley taking another swing at the things his books did wrong and maybe working through some issues of his own.

I also liked all the easter eggs. The Bubblegum Crisis gag hit like a bus.
danialmehdi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:37 pm Reply with quote
i am watching one piece since last 10 years and its best anime for me till now Very Happy
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:41 am Reply with quote
Since January, 2009, I have been collecting a ridiculously large collection of anime physical media. What I haven't been doing enough of during that time is actually watching the titles I've purchased. Just to give you one example: to date, I have only watched 75 of my 303 OVA titles. And that obviously doesn't count either my anime TV series or anime movies/specials which are in a similar state of backloggedness.

But I've recently had a sudden and mysterious urge to watch some of my OVAs and I've watched some great Golden Age of OVA cheese like Battle Royal High School, Vampire Wars, Psychic Wars and Labyrinth of Flames. Have started in on Super Atragon. Good times!
AsleepBySunset

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I finally finished Baraou no Souretsu, and it's probably a good 1 out of 10, maybe 1.5. I feel like I'm always the contrarian, but for all its flaws, Platinum End was a fun ride from beginning to end yet its reviewers "shredded" it as if it were the room or something, meanwhile, Baraou no Souretsu is actively bad, boring, and incoherent, the colour palettes were so bland and bleak, the story telling was paced way too fast (one of many examples of anime where the pacing is so fast the story becomes deathly boring) and the MAL threads seem to show it has some kind of... loyal fanbase. Also it's fanbase seems convinced human hermaphrodites are an actual thing, they aren't, no human beings have both male and female genitals like richard is implied to have. I'd kind of like to see a straight world master piece style adaption of a shakespeare play, but Baraou no Souretsu is not something I'd ever recommend to anyone.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:30 am Reply with quote
So almost 7 years after it first was broadcast, I'm finally watching Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Arc. Four episodes in and really enjoying it. I have no idea why it's taken me this long to get around to it, given I enjoyed the first season a lot. In fact, what finally got me off my but was discovering that the third season is coming out in January. I also have to watch the movie and OVA, of course. Great to dip back into this particular world.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:20 am Reply with quote
It's that time again. The dead new years week with almost nothing new airing.

I'm going to watch something great! some deep and artful thing I slept on... or maybe something fun, colorful, and full of sakuga!

...Huh... a second season of... which one is that? I've watched all of these, right?
....uh... no, originally on Funimation when I didn't watch much there...hmmm

Watching: Banished from the Hero's Party, I Decided to Live a Quiet Life in the Countryside

Halfway through. Really nothing special, but it is relaxing, with the violent previous life threatening to interrupt the idyllic stupor of the small town.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:02 pm Reply with quote
The Dead Zone is well-timed for me given that I'm visiting family who have crappy internet access. Most of the time I have to use my phone as a Hotspot just to avoid Buffering Hell. If I was at home, I'd be cutting into my physical backlog (among other shows, I'm currently watching and enjoying Netflix's Cannon Busters which I recently acquired the limited edition of) and whittling down my streaming backlog (mostly Netflix titles but there are others for good measure). Got 26 Winter shows lined up to sample and god knows how many of those will stick.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Edited to add criteria

Actually, that makes me want to reread the book (Dead Zone).

Anime wise, I've spent some of my lull week watching the Kaina of the Great Snow Sea movie and rewatching Deaimon: Recipe for Happiness because I was in the mood for something quiet and peaceful.

Live Action Wise: The Killer, Yu Yu Hakusho because I guess I got tired of watching things that were quiet and peaceful.

And Mike Birbiglia "The Old Man and the Pool because I think he's funny.

And I'll give a show called The Imperfects a shot though I'm pretty much going in blind.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1058 of 1062