• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Lie in April (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Gods of anime Drama: "spoiler[These two look too happy, make one fall unconscious]."
I was expecting that for a while, started to make me wonder if they were spoiler[not going to play up the sick girl angle].

I get the feeling I would have a better idea if I knew more about music. But what I can tell is that he is in need of counselling, those watching that other show, that bit with him as a kid was more of what Stockholm syndrome was. He spoiler[defended against apparently his mother giving him bruises over not playing right]. And little miss violin spoiler[forced him to make his return by a large audience, it worked out but still he was probably close to having a panic attack].
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:27 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 4

Gods of anime Drama: "spoiler[These two look too happy, make one fall unconscious]."
I was expecting that for a while, started to make me wonder if they were spoiler[not going to play up the sick girl angle].

Yeah, well...

spoiler["Something to remember me by."] said by Kaori in the episode. So it'd be more spoiler[dead person walking] rather than just something basic. I'm fine with it as long as they don't spoiler[pull out that old Clannad storyline and have her die because she's got the disease that kills ill girls.] Make it something that's ... something.

And then there's Watari's "Mine, mine, mine, mine!" reactions in the audience with Tsubaki's "...I've make a huge mistake" realization. So the drama is going to rain hard here, there and everywhere.

Beautiful episode, exquisitely composed and choreographed. I don't want to say it won't get any better than this because it better. Plus, I want to see Kousei play Hungarian Rhapsody #2, in honor of Tom the cat and Bugs Bunny.

Oh and I still don't like Kaori. "I'm in this new dress that's not exactly for you but I'm wearing it anyway. Stop practicing the piece that I'm forcing you to play and look at me." And then there's the "stealing my thunder" part which just makes me wonder what her angle was. She was helping herself help him help her?

Great episode, both in story, foreshadowing and execution. Did I make that clear?
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:17 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Stark700 wrote:
Episode 4:

I think at some point, the show will do a spoiler[flashback episode considering there's obviously something going on with Kousei and his mother. Anyways, great episode again. I loved the comedy, performance, and emotions running high on stage.]

I don't see how it could have been made more clear at this point that Kousei's spoiler[problem is his mother. Did you miss the ghost in the audience? Did you miss the flashback where he defending against the crown in his own mind the bruises his mother gave him?] Exactly what more do you need?
Quote:
I'm not sure when the romance factor will kick in yet but the show still retains its cuteness here and there in particular with Kaori.

Also there I think it has already. Tsubaki clearly realized near the end of that performance that the two connected and she has lost any chance with Kousei. Ryota is too dense to notice.

No, I didn't miss the point. What I was referring to is the likelihood of a flashback-centric episode to be done in the future. Actually, I think it probably also might be spoiler[more than just his mother involved as a person but more of events that are related directly to them.] Yeah, it's obvious on the surface but we don't know the full scopes of the circumstances regarding his past so far either. There's probably more to the story than meets the eye so we'll have to see eventually.

Well she's the childhood friend and there are connections between the two although we don't know too much of that until more concrete events are shown.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:39 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

Also there I think it has already. Tsubaki clearly realized near the end of that performance that the two connected and she has lost any chance with Kousei. Ryota is too dense to notice.

I can't believe I missed this comment; What Tsubki realized is that she herself has feelings for Kousei and not of the sisterly nature but whether or not she has a chance depends on a number of things.

Also, I'm pretty sure the scene where she talks to Kousei about her feelings is in the ending unless there's some other serious scene between them.

"Any chance?" though? The downer ending is in the show title. It's like calling Romeo and Juliet "Love Lies Bleeding" or, to be less subtle, "they die at the end, you know." Even more ironic, the last episode has the characters talking about the metaphor of the "April of their lives" and being optimistic about it.

I can even hear a voice say "little do they know..."
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:53 am Reply with quote
That episode was beautiful. The entire 22 minutes. The build up, the execution, the drama, the music, the animation....a real treat. I could re-watch that episode 20 times and not get bored.

The music is the star of this show. Yeah that's obvious, but it really does shine. Twice now I've been on the edge of my seat waiting to see how the performances play out.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5:

Great episode. I really liked the spoiler[balance of the mood from gloomy (symbolized by the grey skies) to the bright and shining day with sunset atmosphere in the latter half. I think they can conquer their fear. It will take time but I have high hopes for Kousei.]

Also, it was great to see spoiler[Tsubaki and get some of her moments with Kousei. I think we'll see more and more of that later on throughout this series.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

I find myself more and more thinking of her as really manipulative. Specifically how she begged him to join her (read forced), and then spoiler[made him feel bad about how it went]. Add in the fact she is obviously spoiler[not telling the truth about her ailment, and it really looks like she has little actual respect for him, trying to turn her accident into his fault]. Sure she likes to express being great by doing your own thing, but feels more like she is pushing others to do what she wants.

His other friends are not being great either, one plays the field, and the other also seems to have a history of being very demanding of him. Thinking further I think it may mainly be a case of showing the immaturity of their ages.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:24 am Reply with quote
^^ DP: Oh, boo hoo.

Perhaps you would like to think about how and where Kousei would be without Tsubaki or his friends.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:48 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
^^ DP: Oh, boo hoo.

Perhaps you would like to think about how and where Kousei would be without Tsubaki or his friends.

Not thrown off a bridge and almost drowned. Punch and kicked while at a hospital. Bombarded by pages that must have required breaking into his house. Forced to be "friend A" with total disregard to his own thoughts. Publicly embarrassed and made to feel guilty.

Yes they are helping him break out of his rut, but dude needs a Guidance Counselor, not self serving friends who disregard his feelings.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 5: The Day After.

"My dad was overreacting and it was just routine testing." Unless she also has diabetes, there's little routine about it, especially at her age. spoiler[A lie.]

"Have you ever passed out like that before?" And her answer spoiler[ that was a lie. She could even come up with the "anemia" lie... and there it is. It's nice to learn how much she respect her "friends". Not just by being at least partially true because... yeah, this will be happening again... but she then pins her fainting on all that stress, practice and harassing she did, making it, and the performance, all Kousei's fault.]

Not that she had any problems or cares in the first round, plus it brings up the dreaded specter of "guilt" on the guy who deserves it least.

"I won't forget it, spoiler[even if I die."] Interesting word choice there.

And the episode even spells out the difference between Kaori and Tsubaki: "The only thing I am is a piano player." spoiler["Is that a bad thing?] Well, yes! And it's also wrong!

And right back to "stalking". She's predictable, I'll give Kaori that much.

I expected Kousei to leap after her but I did not expect him spoiler[to picture Tsubaki while doing it.]

Kaori's most recent "demand", I mean demand: She wants Kousei spoiler[to enter a piano competition now.] Mozart's "Twinkle, Twinkle" is a common piece for new piano players so I dismissed it as soon as it came up but, yeah, Kaori's a violin player, isn't she? This is fiction after all...

With every episode, I become more of a fan of Tsubaki and hate Kaori more. Is that the point?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:42 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
With every episode, I become more of a fan of Tsubaki and hate Kaori more. Is that the point?

Tusbaki is a nice girl but Kaori is a force of nature. Like Kōsei.

Hyper-talented 14-year-olds are often not well adjusted. That's what you are seeing.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:40 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:

Tusbaki is a nice girl but Kaori is a force of nature. Like Kōsei.

Hyper-talented 14-year-olds are often not well adjusted. That's what you are seeing.

Yeah, I got her connection with kids awhile ago. But the difference is that she does know better, episode 5 shows that, in so far her only solo moment.

So. Are her actions spontaneous or calculated? Well, episode five ends on Kaori trying to have a calculated move seem spontaneous, which has been a complaint of mine from the start, but here she gets caught in the lie {I also brought up "pathological liar", another one of her constant, um, quirks. Ha, she's so zany and by zany, I mean psychotic} and she has to admit she was waiting for him. All the other times? Those were completely random, sure.

They weren't. Her solo scene shows that she does know better, that she's not "on" 100% of the time which then raises the questions of how much is an act, why and for whom.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
So. Are her actions spontaneous or calculated?

Why is "both" not an option?

One other thing I wanted to point out: by the end of the most recent episode, Kōsei biggest (only?) problem with Kaori is that he is having a very hard time believing that a girl that great could possibly be interested in him as anything but a handy accompanist. All the other things about her that you hate seem to be absolutely no problem to him.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:30 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
So. Are her actions spontaneous or calculated?

Why is "both" not an option?

One other thing I wanted to point out: by the end of the most recent episode, Kōsei biggest (only?) problem with Kaori is that he is having a very hard time believing that a girl that great could possibly be interested in him as anything but a handy accompanist. All the other things about her that you hate seem to be absolutely no problem to him.

...because Kousei is not only wracked with guilt over his mother's death but now he has to deal with his failure of a performance {even if it played out exactly as he believed it would} and issues of self worth? Kaori had no part in the first issue {that we know...} but she should not adding to the second one, more "no biggie" rather than, "Yeah, it's all your fault! What are you going to do to make up for it?"

As the self worth thing, if Tsubaki can pull and push things out of Kousei that doesn't involve a piano, why can't Kaori see that?

Did Kaori really believe that the power of {not love or music} her own personality... wait...
Did she think the competition would work out or was it just another step in her path to whatever her end goal is?

Step one: Get Kousei to watch round one. Virtuoso performance for him.
Step two: Get Kousei to join round two. Two solo performers sharing a stage; Never would have worked for a violin competition.
Step three: Get Kousei playing on his own.

It's fine and all {no, it's not} but she also had to use Tsubaki and Watari as well and we still don't know if she honestly likes Watari or if she's just using him as well. She possibly asked him out as a pretense and still you give Kaori a pass on it.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6:

Damn, I feel bad for spoiler[Tsubaki this episode. Sooner or later, she's going to have to come to terms of her own feelings and realize it. Anyways, it was a nice episode overall with a lot of emotions.]

It also looks like Kousei is going to get some high level competition soon. Can't wait for next episode!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12