• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ouran High School Host Club!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:05 pm Reply with quote
The Seventh Son wrote:

and since fruits basket is also mentioned.....whos more psychotic, Renge or Kagura? im going for Renge.

Kagura isn't psychotic, she's just very...exuberant...in demonstrating her love!

Nice analysis echoblues! You've just added more to my anticipation for seeing this series! Thank you!
omnistry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:21 pm Reply with quote
The Seventh Son wrote:
i love this series, and really need to finish it. the characters are great, except for the twins....*shiver* thats just not right.

IMO Hikaru & Kaoru bring the show some of the funniest moments, like spoiler[the fake fight episode or the Halloween one]. Also, there's spoiler[Mr. Elephant.] (which you have to watch to know what I mean).

The way the show ends makes it seem like a second season is possible (spoiler[Tamaki and Kyouya's fathers talking about who should earn Haruhi's heart]). Do I spot a "Daddy"/"Mommy" rivalry for the two? Laughing

All in all this was really the only competition for Haruhi Suzumiya for 2006's anime of the year (sorry Death Note fans).
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:06 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:

All in all this was really the only competition for Haruhi Suzumiya for 2006's anime of the year (sorry Death Note fans).

Shocked Ooooh! You're in trouble now! I can hear the war drums as I type! Shocked

Laughing
omar235

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:25 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
omnistry wrote:

Shocked Ooooh! You're in trouble now! I can hear the war drums as I type! Shocked

Laughing

You obviously haven't seen Death Note have you...you know what I don't really care you are going down *grabs pitchfork and torch* kidding but maybe it wasn't your cup of tea but I would say that Death Note was deffinatly up there with Haruhi and Ouran IMO.
Mistress9
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:48 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
The Seventh Son wrote:
i love this series, and really need to finish it. the characters are great, except for the twins....*shiver* thats just not right.

IMO Hikaru & Kaoru bring the show some of the funniest moments, like spoiler[the fake fight episode or the Halloween one]. Also, there's spoiler[Mr. Elephant.] (which you have to watch to know what I mean).

The way the show ends makes it seem like a second season is possible (spoiler[Tamaki and Kyouya's fathers talking about who should earn Haruhi's heart]). Do I spot a "Daddy"/"Mommy" rivalry for the two? Laughing

Ah YES I think Ouran's the only anime I have seen) that makes me want well actual real stuff to happen between the twins. OH gosh I said it... And what was with spoiler[ that elephant scence seriously! that wasn't in the manga either...and I love the halloween scence the ending was so heart breaking...Poor poor Kaoru! ]

I really hope they release them soon.

Ah yeah, I like Death note as well but well Ouran is way better!
omnistry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:42 pm Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
omnistry wrote:

Laughing

You obviously haven't seen Death Note have you...you know what I don't really care you are going down *grabs pitchfork and torch* kidding but maybe it wasn't your cup of tea but I would say that Death Note was deffinatly up there with Haruhi and Ouran IMO.

I've seen the first seven episodes of DN. It is an awesome show; but I found Ouran, Haruhi, and Disgaea to be more entertaining (to me, that is). Comedy hold more attention to me, I guess.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:35 am Reply with quote
Was just rereading some of the older posts on this thread, and noticed the opera glasses conversation on the 3rd page. Although I hadn't thought of any of those explanations, as I didn't really think much about it at the time, I actually assumed something completely different. I assumed they actually had to do with a saying that Tamaki apparently ascribed to: "People are more beautiful the closer they are viewed". I always figured Tamaki got that saying from his mom, and then Eclaire picked up the idea as well later on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:41 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised this one hasn't been picked up yet with all the praise and popularity it has garnered, but I second the hope that Viz stays away from it -I hope FUNimation since they have the best packaging out of the other companies and I hope whoever gets it packages the DVD release similar to the elegant Japanese one with the miniature figurines.

This is one of the animes where I'm in the ambivalence regarding whether I like the anime better than the manga -some of the funny parts in the manga were expressed better in the anime, like that scene in the end of the first Roberia episode -spoiler[Tamaki and Kyoya weren't dressed as females in the manga-] some of the manga readers hated the filler parts in the anime that stressed on the craziness of the yaoi fangirls -like those scenes between Mori and Hunny when the latter was suffering from dental caries, but I personally found them hilarious, maybe because I have seen the anime before reading the manga that created my appreciation of the filler parts in the anime.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:32 am Reply with quote
Raven Shinobi wrote:
I'm surprised this one hasn't been picked up yet with all the praise and popularity it has garnered, but I second the hope that Viz stays away from it -I hope FUNimation since they have the best packaging out of the other companies and I hope whoever gets it packages the DVD release similar to the elegant Japanese one with the miniature figurines.
I've mentioned my issues with Viz on this thread before, and hope that they stays far, far, away Ouran--after watching SaiKano: Another Love Song from them, I don't even trust Viz to create subtitles that are actually translations of the Japanese dialogue. After all, we shouldn't be giving them our money to make glorified closed captions for the English dub audio and slap them on the DVD Rolling Eyes Plus, since Viz has yet to discover the secrets of the secondary subtitle track, English dub watchers will either be presented with a bunch of signs they can't read or with VHS-quality overlays of all the onscreen text Rolling Eyes I'll come right out and say it: Viz license = no money from me, unless the reviews indicate that they've improved to 2007 standards. Heck, even 2004 standards would be better than the crap they've churned out. (Though I don't follow their long shounen releases like Bleach/Naruto/Inuyasha/Hikaru no Go, so maybe I'm just getting the wrong series.)

While I'm liking Viz less and less, I did finish Ouran High School Host Club ( why call it "Ouran Koukou Host Club"? It's not like koukou is some obscure Japanese word that doesn't translate easily.) a few weeks ago. My reaction to the last two episodes was pretty similar to selenta's, if you know what I mean Wink Crying or Very sad Virtually every episode was entertaining or moving in some way, and we got to see all different sides of Haruhi, who will go down as one of the best shoujo female leads ever. The Hikaru/Kaoru flashbacks were especially devastating, especially spoiler[where they switched places to receive a girl's love confession Laughing and that one girl said she was sorry she couldn't tell them apart Anime cry] I wanted to see more of Renge, but after reading the new posts here, it seems like her manga role is smaller than her anime role. I guess I can't fault the anime creators for not fabricating more than they did already for her screentime.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:40 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
( why call it "Ouran Koukou Host Club"? It's not like koukou is some obscure Japanese word that doesn't translate easily.)

I myself am more used to call it "Koukou" rather than "High School" because of Tamaki's "Ouran Koukou Hosuto Kurabu" at the end of each preview for the next episode, but I don't know why they let him say "Hosuto Kurabu" rather than "Hosuto Bu" since the kanji character in the show's title that stands for club in English actually reads as "Bu" in Japanese Confused
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I wanted to see more of Renge, but after reading the new posts here, it seems like her manga role is smaller than her anime role.

After her chapter in the first volume, she's practically nonexistant.
frouella

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:13 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
I wanted to see more of Renge, but after reading the new posts here, it seems like her manga role is smaller than her anime role.

After her chapter in the first volume, she's practically nonexistant.

Truthfully, when I saw the episode that introduced Renge in the anime, I decided that I wanted her to die a slow and painful death; she just annoyed the hell outta me. BUT, after her next few appearances, she kinda grew on me. Well, not so much her really (except for that time when she played the announcer for the Honey/Chika fight), but the "high-power motor" shtick was pretty funny. I'm not familiar with her character in the manga because I've only read a few volumes (that she wasn't in, apparently).

BTW, is it just me, or does Haruhi look reeeaaallly weird in the manga? I mean, I'm no stranger to exaggerated anime/manga eyes, but hers are just ridiculous. She creeps me out; that's why I don't read the manga much... Anime dazed
kolibri

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:17 pm Reply with quote
frouella wrote:
BTW, is it just me, or does Haruhi look reeeaaallly weird in the manga? I mean, I'm no stranger to exaggerated anime/manga eyes, but hers are just ridiculous. She creeps me out; that's why I don't read the manga much... Anime dazed

Totally... I'm not a big fan of Hatori's style, but it does improve a little bit when the series goes on (or alternatively I get numb). Still, I have to say I prefer the manga - it's really funny and the extra omakes Hatori puts in are just priceless.
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:33 am Reply with quote
I'm really addicted to this series and I can't wait for the English release, I'll be waiting for it. I like every character and talking about Hatori I also like Millenium Snow, but Ouran is ebjoyable too!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4