• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: More Oldboy Remake Film Images Unveiled

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:56 am Reply with quote
I watched the original OldBoy yesterday and I really have doubts a US remake, even under an accomplished director like Spike Lee, will be able to hold together.
ReverseTitan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:17 pm Reply with quote
trilaan wrote:
I watched the original OldBoy yesterday and I really have doubts a US remake, even under an accomplished director like Spike Lee, will be able to hold together.

You can't watch a comic book. The Korean version was not faithful to the original, yet I feel it is still a good film. I don't get why only Americans are required to be faithful. This film should be good before being faithful. Disney's Tarzan improved the original by getting rid of the xenocentric views and made the gorilla study study much more insightful. Just saying.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:43 am Reply with quote
ReverseTitan wrote:
trilaan wrote:

You can't watch a comic book. The Korean version was not faithful to the original, yet I feel it is still a good film. I don't get why only Americans are required to be faithful. This film should be good before being faithful. Disney's Tarzan improved the original by getting rid of the xenocentric views and made the gorilla study study much more insightful. Just saying.

Agreed, I never understood why people bash on American remake, yet when Asia remake American films, nobody complain about it. I mean nobody complain when Japan decide to remake the Clint Eastwood oscar-winning film, Unforgiven. I like to add that Japan's remake of Unforgiven has gotten attention on mainstream media like IGN, Hollywood reporter, and others. Yet nobody bash it the same way when US announce a remake of Asian film.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:31 am Reply with quote
ReverseTitan wrote:

You can't watch a comic book. The Korean version was not faithful to the original, yet I feel it is still a good film.

According to the trailers, Park Chan-wook's Oldboy is the original in this case. The fight in the hallway with hammer? Not in the manga. If Spike Lee's version was at least based on the manga, instead of the pre-existing movie, I might be interested. Now it just feels just redundant.
DTJB

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Still a Knicks fan, of course.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1