• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kanon 2006!

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jetz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Just finished Air. Look out for the spoiler[cameo of Ayu, Nayuki and Makoto.]

I don't know if it will be the same for you, but I like Air better than Kanon 2006.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Clodus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Got a glimpse of the first episode of Kanon in english from January 2008 edition of Newtype's dvd. No major problems or criticisms so far, everybodys voice was very satisfying for the most part. The first conversation between Yuichi and Nayuki starts off with him joking about forgetting her name and i specifically remember it giving me chills down my spine when Yuichi finished off with "nayuki" the first time i saw it, i didn't get the same feeling but it was great. I thought that Yuichi could've sounded of more sarcastic type attitude. I was really impressed with Brittney Karbowski for Ayu. They did keep the "Uguu" and it sounded so natural. The voice sounded like a tomboyish girl but man does it fit her so perfectly. even though its only the first episode, i can tell she's gonna make a great Ayu
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:35 am Reply with quote
Clodus wrote:
I thought that Yuichi could've sounded of more sarcastic type attitude.

I've seen the first four episodes now dubbed. (Review pending.) Be patient; it carries through much more when he starts interacting with Makoto, where the scenes lose none of the zing they have in the Japanese language. In fact, only the pickiest of fans should have much issue with the dub. The voice acting is, on the balance, better-cast and better-performed than it was for Air.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
riffs

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:25 am Reply with quote
I also had an impression of Yuuichi having a similar impression of Suzumiya Haruhi's Kyon. And of course I should, in a sense that both of the characters are voice-acted by same actor, Sugita Tomokazu. Appearance wise, Yuuichi and Kyon are also quite similar too. Maybe Kyoto Animation may like that type of male character whom they'd like to be in their show.
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:44 am Reply with quote
I am planning on buying at least the first volume since i liked Clannad and can't buy it yet. I have not bought Air due to some of the comments about it, but if I have any extra money I may change my mind at some point. So thanks for the comments on the dub. I'm glad to hear about it since it's what I usually watch.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
I am planning on buying at least the first volume since i liked Clannad and can't buy it yet. I have not bought Air due to some of the comments about it, but if I have any extra money I may change my mind at some point. So thanks for the comments on the dub. I'm glad to hear about it since it's what I usually watch.
If you liked Kanon and Clannad, odds are you'll like Air as well. After all, they're all animated by the same studio and based on games by the same company, and they all have similar moemoe "sad girls in snow" tearjerker storylines. So if you do get that extra money, I don't think you'll regret buying Air.
riffs wrote:
I also had an impression of Yuuichi having a similar impression of Suzumiya Haruhi's Kyon. And of course I should, in a sense that both of the characters are voice-acted by same actor, Sugita Tomokazu. Appearance wise, Yuuichi and Kyon are also quite similar too. Maybe Kyoto Animation may like that type of male character whom they'd like to be in their show.
Kyoto Animation doesn't have a say it how the male characters are -- Kyon's personality was already established by the Haruhi novels, and Yuuichi's personality was established by the Kanon game. It's just coincidence that KyoAni happened to animate both series and cast Tomokazu Sugita both times. As for Chris Patton on the English side...obviously, he didn't play Kyon, but he's played plenty of lead roles, so I'm sure he'll be up to the job.

@ Key: I'm glad to hear the favorable preliminary remarks on the dub. I was a little concerned when I heard the cameos in Air, because they didn't sound that good to me at all. But Brittney Karbowski sounded good in the trailer, and I'm assuming that everyone will be able to put in better performances with more information and context about the series.

And now that I've got the first volume pre-ordered, I get to find out for myself on Januaury 1st or when TRSI ships it to me, whichever comes first.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:06 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
If you liked Kanon and Clannad, odds are you'll like Air as well. After all, they're all animated by the same studio and based on games by the same company, and they all have similar moemoe "sad girls in snow" tearjerker storylines. So if you do get that extra money, I don't think you'll regret buying Air.

I think its worth gettting Air, but Air is quite a bit different than Kanon and Clannad and one can easily like Kanon a lot and not care for Air much and vice versa. Personally, I didn't like Air that much. It's the KyoAni show I like the least for various reasons.
GreatTeacherKen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:11 am Reply with quote
I'll agree with HitokiriShadow that even if you like Kanon and CLANNAD, it's not guranteed you'll like Air. In fact, I've met people who liked Kanon but didn't like Air very much.

For one thing, Air is considerably more serious in tone than Kanon and CLANNAD. One of the main weaknesses I feel the series has the pacing is a bit awkward. It starts off slow, but once you get into the characters' arcs it speeds up considerably. A lot of this has to do with short length of the series, so no doubt KyoAni had to compress a lot to tell the story within a 12 episode time format. This is a series I feel should've been longer.

It's also a bit less straightforward, as in it seems to be the most difficult to understand of the three shows. I've seen huge amounts of topics asking questions about the ending's meaning as well as other things.

but still I'd say it's worth a shot. The seiyuu acting is excellent as well as the soundtrack and animation. In spite of all I said, I like the show and it introduced me to Key works. I won't gurantee you'll like it, but the emotional impact tends to be very strong for those who do.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:37 pm Reply with quote
How is the Air dub? Because it'd probably be what I would watch. I am of course watching Clannad so I'm willing to watch without a dub, but I prefer dubs generally. Is there an available preview or trailer for the show?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I really liked Kanon (2006) myself, but I saw the Air movie a while ago and it really turned me off to Key stuff. I didn't really like the main character and the film was too depressing for my tastes. The animation was awesome though. Glad I decided to take a chance and watch Kanon though it had a better balance of humor, romance, and the dramatics.
animebrainyanic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:00 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I think its worth gettting Air, but Air is quite a bit different than Kanon and Clannad and one can easily like Kanon a lot and not care for Air much and vice versa. Personally, I didn't like Air that much. It's the KyoAni show I like the least for various reasons.

Same as well, having though of that the genre of Air would be so serious anybody could be pissed off not watching both Kanon and Clannad. That's why this series would be better because of spinoffs.

GreatTeacherKen wrote:
It's also a bit less straightforward, as in it seems to be the most difficult to understand of the three shows. I've seen huge amounts of topics asking questions about the ending's meaning as well as other things.

Unlike any other works of Kyoto Animation Visual Art's/Key adaptation, this 12-episode-series isn't enough to love this animation. The story's too fast, if they did like 24 episodes like that of the both series. Then this would be so much better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Animastryfe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:04 am Reply with quote
I've already read through the thread, but I still don't understand some parts.
spoiler[
So apparently Kyoto Animation made all the girl's endings the good ones, which I'm very glad about, but how is Makoto's ending... "good"?

Could someone explain Makoto's ending to me please? In the very last scene with the tree stump, was there a fox in the background?]

Last edited by Animastryfe on Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
qtipbrit92

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
...I saw the Air movie a while ago and it really turned me off to Key stuff...

The Air movie was developed by Toei, the studio that KyoAni keeps one-upping (and doing it well) on Key's works, with better animation, character design, and general continuity. (so if you liked the animation in the Air movie, prepare to be amazed by the anime.
More on-topic, I personally had mixed feelings regarding the dub, and not only because of the narrator's pronunciation of "Hurahi Suzumiya" in the trailer (youtube it.).
Though most of the casting and voice acting was quite meritable (Jessica Boone's Nayuki was particularly good) the dub made many of the characters seem much older than in the original Japanese, and as an avid Yui Horie fan, I felt that Brittney Karbowski's "Uguu~" was not quite up to par. Confused
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Well, I have no real complaints about the Kanon dub personally, it's very well acted which is good enough for me. The only gripe I'd mention is that lethargic, sleepy Nayuki is far more ammusing in the original Japanese with the higher pitched voice. Crying or Very sad
ehsan13

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:45 am Reply with quote
Animastryfe wrote:
I've already read through the thread, but I still don't understand some parts.
spoiler[
So apparently Kyoto Animation made all the girl's endings the good ones, which I'm very glad about, but how is Makoto's ending... "good"?

Could someone explain Makoto's ending to me please? In the very last scene with the tree stump, was there a fox in the background?]

Well, Makoto was a fox in the hill with mysterious powers. She wanted to live with Yuichi forever, so she took human form and gave up her life. And Yuichi granted her wish by marrying her, so that they can live together forever. Isnt that a wish granted or happy ending?

Well in the last scene of that episode, I saw spoiler[Makoto lying on the ground and Piro sniffing around her.] So, her spirit still lives. She also appeared almost at the end of the series spoiler[just before the true Sawatari Makoto rescued Yuichi]

I have no words to describe "Kanon". The only thing I can say is ....if I hadnt watched Kanon, it would have been a shameful thing to say that I am an anime fan ... and I am glad that I watched it ...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 17