• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shakugan no Shana (TV) (all seasons + movie).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:49 am Reply with quote
Explanations that cite the novel is good thing, but the anime still makes no sense. Novel -- maybe, but not the anime.
lukezskywalk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I just finished this series as well. And I agree with the Mad Scientist and Ferrain on most of the points.

As far as character development goes I think Shakugan no Shana III did a tremendous job. Their decisions and actions are complex, mature if not flawed - far from the slice of life/love triangles so many Shounen series fell prey to.

Has it been 4 years since II? Most fans of Shana grew up during that time, and so did Shana.

Bravo for a wonderful series and a great closure to so many of us who grew up with the Flame-Haired Red-Hot-Eyed Hunter!
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:49 pm Reply with quote
lukezskywalk--
I disagree; I see this as a downward arc made all the more tragic because the first season was so DAMNED GOOD!
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:05 am Reply with quote
lukezskywalk wrote:
I just finished this series as well. And I agree with the Mad Scientist and Ferrain on most of the points.

As far as character development goes I think Shakugan no Shana III did a tremendous job. Their decisions and actions are complex, mature if not flawed - far from the slice of life/love triangles so many Shounen series fell prey to.

Has it been 4 years since II? Most fans of Shana grew up during that time, and so did Shana.

Bravo for a wonderful series and a great closure to so many of us who grew up with the Flame-Haired Red-Hot-Eyed Hunter!

If viewed with all the other preceding seasons, Shakugan no Shana III went off the rails. As has been mentioned earlier they mangled Yuji's character and seemed to have turned Shana into some 'stand by your man' caricature.
Riddley

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:52 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
If viewed with all the other preceding seasons, Shakugan no Shana III went off the rails. As has been mentioned earlier they mangled Yuji's character and seemed to have turned Shana into some 'stand by your man' caricature.

I disagree. She loved him. If anything she was trying to put him in his place when it came to their relationship. She felt he was wrong, and in her world he was, so she fought against him. That's about as far from the "stand-by-your-man" caricature you can get.

I think the 1st season was the worst of the three, particularly in terms of character design and artwork. I preferred the third season because there was much more interesting dynamics between characters, it was more mature, and the plot was stimulating.

God, the eyes in season 1...I have nightmares about them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 18 of 18