• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Moomin's fly Finnair

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:00 am Reply with quote
I was flying out of JFK last week, after a fortnights business trip, and whilst my plane was taxiing out to take off I noticed a Finnair DC L1011 outside my window waiting to get in line too. This in itself wasn't note worthy but painted on the side of it was the characters from "Moomins". Why Finnair has done this only the Finns know.
unhealthyman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:15 am Reply with quote
Because Tove Jansson is the only famous Finn ever?

[Edit] Tove Jansson wrote the original books that the anime is based on by the way. She was Finnish Wink

selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:03 am Reply with quote
Well... there's certainly famous finns every 4 years Rolling Eyes but I guess that's not really the same thing. I don't know why they put them on there... but I love it. I wish the American companies did stuff like that, too bad they're too busy right now trying to go back and break their promises to their employees about things like retirement to do some simple advertising and not make their planes f-ugly.

Totally OT, but I can't believe the government is letting them get away with that stuff; it just blows my mind that the government can be that hypocritical. Usually it's at least different departments that cause the hypocrises in government...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:09 am Reply with quote
unhealthyman wrote:

Elias Lönnrot and Johan Ludvig Runeberg are rotating in their graves.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:22 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
unhealthyman wrote:

- abunai

And what about the numerous current and former NHL hockey players?
Mushiko

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:02 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
unhealthyman wrote:

I think Jean Sibelius is the one doing the most rolling. Very Happy I doubt that Runeberg is much known outside of Scandinavia, and Lönnrot, well, folk epics rarely go under their collectors' names. I don't think the Kalevala has his name on the cover (haven't got a copy at hand to check), even though he did do much more than just writing down and compiling the old songs.

I thought those Moomin planes were only flying to Japan; wonder what it was doing in the US. In the winter, Finnair has Santa planes, as well.

The Moomin characters on the plane actually seem to be taken from the original illustrations by Tove Jansson. Her style is a bit more angular, but otherwise the animation stays quite close to the original character designs. If I had my Moomin books here, I could check the exact source, too.

So the Moomins on the plane have nothing to do with the anime - and everything to do with it, since it has been chiefly responsible for the recent Moomin boom, especially in Japan.

But Immanuel Kant sure has come a long way. Wink
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tove_Jansson
Gauss

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:03 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
abunai wrote:

And what about the numerous current and former NHL hockey players?

They're not dead yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1