• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Nikkei News Lists Info for Wii's Successor

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Ah so some of those rumors were true...the controller does sound interesting, but I;d like to hear more about it. E3 certainly looks like it'll be fun this year.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm still trying to understand how having a screen on a controller is useful... Someone once said "so you can leave the room and still keep playing the game for a bit" but well, I still don't see why anyone would. For kids to go on a car ride, keep playing, and come back and continue? I dunno... All I know is that it would take away from those warnings of taking a break...
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:34 pm Reply with quote
The only thing a 6 inch screen on a controller will be is a huge drain on battery power. I don't think this gimmick will work for Nintendo all that well.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing the screen is so you can play in your bedroom or outside, places where you might not have a TV handy. The PSP can access PS3 content over the internet, but it can't play its games. I'm wondering if this controller will have a similar function, but be able to play games, too. 6" is awfully long for a touchpad on a controller, I sure hope we're not getting a virtual controller with all of the buttons on the touchpad. That might work for iPads and iPhones, but to press buttons you can't see or feel while looking at at TV is pretty tricky.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
The only thing a 6 inch screen on a controller will be is a huge drain on battery power. I don't think this gimmick will work for Nintendo all that well.

and yet Sony/Microsoft will most definitely try to make their own versions of said gimmick. Even if it doesn't work well, it'll still have an impact on the industry.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
I'm still trying to understand how having a screen on a controller is useful... Someone once said "so you can leave the room and still keep playing the game for a bit" but well, I still don't see why anyone would. For kids to go on a car ride, keep playing, and come back and continue? I dunno... All I know is that it would take away from those warnings of taking a break...

Do you remember the Lens of Truth from Zelda? I think it'd function like, you move the controller over the TV and you can see things on the screen that you can't see on the TV for games that use those kinds of functions. It could also be an instant item menu for RPGs so you don't have to pause all the time.

I think RPGs, adventure games and FPS's to an extent benefit the most if they use the way I think they would.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
aluria

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:07 pm Reply with quote
The screen in the controller could also work like having the GBA plugged into the Gamecube. It provides extra information without crowding up the main screen or forcing you to constantly open and close said information screen.

They could also do a DS screen and have some awesome touchscreen interaction. I could see that working well.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:21 pm Reply with quote
aluria wrote:
They could also do a DS screen and have some awesome touchscreen interaction. I could see that working well.

Ooh, this actually would make a "DS Player" possible. With a touchscreen on the controller it would have the touch interface required to play DS and 3DS (sans 3D) games on a TV through the console without having to actually own either handheld.

Emerje
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:31 pm Reply with quote
That's very cool but geez this is going to be like a $100+ dollar controller from the sound of it. If it has physical buttons/sticks on it then this thing is coming close to literally being a DS that you use as a gamepad. *Looks at current price of a Nintendo DS* Anime hyper'

Sheleigha wrote:
I'm still trying to understand how having a screen on a controller is useful...

Surely you've heard of the Game Gear, DS, Game Boy, etc or some gaming device that has controllers and buttons and a screen on it, right?
Saturn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
That's very cool but geez this is going to be like a $100+ dollar controller from the sound of it. If it has physical buttons/sticks on it then this thing is coming close to literally being a DS that you use as a gamepad. *Looks at current price of a Nintendo DS* Anime hyper'

ugh, that's true. And watch them not bundle a single controller with the system or something asinine like that ~_~ Like the 3D tvs for which you have to buy glasses separately, to the tune of $100 each. BLAH.
Anyway, a 6 inch screen? Won't that make the controller kind of humongous? Maybe I'm not picturing it correctly or something.
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I do hope that if does act like a handheld/console thing. Do RPG grinding on the go, then when you continue on with the story, see it in glorious big screen TV. If they go that route, I think I might go for that system.
AnimeGuy1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I dont know how this whole screen thing is going to work out in the end but since this is nintindo I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. What my real concern is just how much are the controllers going to cost?
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Sheleigha wrote:
I'm still trying to understand how having a screen on a controller is useful...

Surely you've heard of the Game Gear, DS, Game Boy, etc or some gaming device that has controllers and buttons and a screen on it, right?

None of those are consoles though. Handheld has its own market. This has the possibility of being a two-in-one, which doesn't sound affordable...

Perhaps it is like the above ideas, where it would be like a console DS, showing a mini-map. If it's something like that, and not the idea of playing the entire game on the controller, that would be interesting. But still not cheap.
machetecat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Ya know, I'd really just like to grab a controller and play some Mario without everything going "touchscreen" on me. I find it irritating enough that I have to waste electricity charging my wiimotes every few days. At least the Xbox and PS3 give you an option to buy WIRED controllers.

BUT, I have a pokemon obsession, so I'll probably end up buying this for whatever pokemon game comes out for it. I'm hoping KH3 will be multi-platform, so I don't have to buy a bunch of consoles in the future.
youjik33

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:48 pm Reply with quote
As someone who does not like touchscreens or motion control, this does not sound remotely appealing.

...then again I haven't bought a console since my PS2.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2