• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NHK ni Youkoso! (Welcome to the NHK)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I marathoned Eps. 8-21 yesterday, and watched the last 3 epsidoes this morning, thereby finishing this series.

I liked it every step of the way. I liked how there were serious undertones lying beneath the humourous forefront. As much as I liked the comedy in the series, the drama got me to really appreciate the series as more than a comedy. I also liked the ending. It was rather conclusive, and ended on a rather happy note.

Irony was another thing I really enjoyed in this series. During the Offline Meeting episodes, I found it amusing that Sato was unknowingly and inadvertantly lured into a suicide pact. Yet, when everybody else decided to stop, it was Tatsuhiro who ended up wanting to kill himself, due to Hitomi's approval of Akira Jogasaki's marraige proposal. Even though it might not/shouldn't be seen as a funny moment, I found the irony in that hilarious. =\ The same thing could be said in the last episode, as well.

And the comedy. It wasn't funny to the point where I'd have to stop my media player to catch my breath, but I did laugh out loud quite a few times. There was the beer bottle scene, as well as the scene where Yamazaki reveals to Tatsuhiro that he was Mia the entire time, which I found hilarious.

There were a couple of things that did bother me about the series, but they're rather miniscule to the point that they don't seem to be worth mentioning, and it didn't affect my overall enjoyment of the series. I gave NHK an Excellent rating from Episode 2, seeing as my initial impressions of a series generally never waver. Watching this series was very enjoyable, as the comedy and drama got me to come back for more every episode. Though after seeing the last episode, I changed my rating to Masterpiece, mainly because the ending was rather good compared to some of Gonzo's other endings for other titles.
lazybastard

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:39 pm Reply with quote
The show got pretty serious towards the second half. But then come right with the extremely hilarious explanation of the meaning of NHK at the end. Oh the irony Very Happy

The EP during the first half was also wickedly funny.
ace52387

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Anthony P wrote:
That so! Well, hopefully the guy from Tokyopop at the Phoenix con wasn't BSing me about them releasing the novels sometime next summer.

According to Amazon, the novel will be out in october.

on the general subject:
Everything in the Anime sat well with me, except for my one gripe which is Satou's freakish paranoia. It's part of his character, but sometimes it's just off-putting watching him get paranoid over what most of us as viewers see as a something trifle. I'm referring to spoiler[when Satou thinks Misaki is somehow conspiring against him, leading him on only to let him fall hard because she's a bit of a stalker. A stalker is a stalker, I don't think most people would come to the conclusion that the stalker (not a serious stalker at that) is conspiring to break your heart.]

That aside, as exaggerated as some of the situations are, they feel rooted in relatable emotions. I just feel so much sympathy when i watch this anime. Almost every character is a loser, due to a mental condition, personality disorder, or just bad luck in life. spoiler[It's so sad seeing them try to work their lives out, only to be screwed over more.]
Alestal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I just finished this series today.

I find it sad that there are people who can't help themselves and who are that alone. There are times for everyone when you feel like everyone around you is judging you I guess.

Anyways, I really liked this series. It didn't go exactly as I had expected it too though, I expected a lot more from her "Progam/lesson thingy". But when stuff like that happens it just makes you appreciate it all the more.
I love the lines "If 99% of all supposed conspiracies are false, does that make the other 1% true?" .

When it comes down to it, you just need to sink or swim.
This anime kinda fucked up my day though.. lots of stuff went down right after I stopped watching it.
theeonegook89

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:24 am Reply with quote
Welcome to the NHK is by far one of the best slife-of-life anime series I've watched, the comedy and humor was satisfying and as for the story/plot, it somewhat made me appreciate the people who are trying to help you out (not that I get any anyways)
young98

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:36 am Reply with quote
i recently finished this anime, and i was definitely not disappointed by it, i wasn't too sure how funny it would be, since it had been a while since i actually laughed out loud or at least chuckled every episode, even the parts of the anime that deals with serious situations like suicide still makes it funny
i was also pleased how they mixed comedy and drama together, poking fun when acceptable, and keeping the mood somber when called for. i'm kind of a pessimistic guy, so i'm thinking everything Sato is thinking when he's near people, but i don't take it to the extreme like he does, haha
the only things i'd say that really bugged me about the series is that the animation and character designs changed ever so slightly or maybe not so slightly every episode, so that was weird, and another thing is that i wish that they would have concentrated a little more on the love relationship between Sato and Misaki
if you don't like this post, it's just becuase it's a conspiracy of the NHK!!!
demonroach

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching it yesterday. The show has excellent voice choices except for the main male character. THe main problem with the series is that the main male character sato? is about as stupid as an acorn, and even while his hikkikomari ways are being cured, he doesn't get any better in terms of being to talk right to anyone. Also, all the relationships in the series is shallow at best, and satos reasoning for doing anything is either extremely shallow or not explained well enough. They somehow blew a someone dramatic ending too..oh well..maybe a sequel will come out someday.

Also, men should not scream like a girl in normal conversations or when they are excited. I don't know if its normal for japanese men to scream like girls like sato does constantly, but it gets annoying very fast.
young98

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:46 am Reply with quote
demonroach wrote:
I just finished watching it yesterday. The show has excellent voice choices except for the main male character. THe main problem with the series is that the main male character sato? is about as stupid as an acorn, and even while his hikkikomari ways are being cured, he doesn't get any better in terms of being to talk right to anyone. Also, all the relationships in the series is shallow at best, and satos reasoning for doing anything is either extremely shallow or not explained well enough. They somehow blew a someone dramatic ending too..oh well..maybe a sequel will come out someday.

Also, men should not scream like a girl in normal conversations or when they are excited. I don't know if its normal for japanese men to scream like girls like sato does constantly, but it gets annoying very fast.

i totally get what you mean when you say you got kind of tired of Sato constantly screaming when interacting with other people and his little or no progression out of his hikikomori ways, but i got used to it, and even expected him to do it after a couple of episodes. when i watch animes, i put myself into that world, so i understood his paranoia about other people, and why he would overreact when just talking with people, and i expected the little progression of his way out of being a hikikomori because Misaki isn't an actual expert in helping people, especially when she's so messed up herself
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I've only seen a few episodes of this show, but so far the comedy hasn't impressed me at all. It seems to rely on the gimmick that the word "conspiracy" is inherently funny Confused

What does draw me in is how very sad Sato's condition really is. I wonder how many more people there would be like him if their parents just supplied them with money and didn't ask any questions. I think this show has the potential to be really sweet and poignant...we'll see Smile
Theorys

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:09 am Reply with quote
theeonegook89 wrote:
Welcome to the NHK is by far one of the best slife-of-life anime series I've watched, the comedy and humor was satisfying and as for the story/plot, it somewhat made me appreciate the people who are trying to help you out (not that I get any anyways)

Well then, allow me to be your cure for your hikikomori ways. You like Welcome to the NHK because of its "slice-of-life", "comedy", "humor", and "story/plot"? Well I know one that is just as good and not as depressing.

It's called NieA_7. It's only 13 episodes long and it's got all the elements of Welcome to the NHK but it's more about peace/calmness and less paranoia than NHK.
Alestal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:44 am Reply with quote
When you watch this show you think you know what will happen, you assume that the cute girl will save the troubled loser from his hellish life.

I think that this series greatest strength is the fact that its unpredictable. Just when you think you know whats going to happen next it throws something your way unexpected. I expected this series to be another light, fluffy, comedic, slice-of-life, adventure, but it was much more than that. It had deph.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, this one really swept me clean off my feet. I can't remember the last time I so strongly identified with the characters in an anime.

I've had some low points in my life and seen others in a similar state as all of the characters; people are flawed, yet we all put on a smile for the rest of world to see. I didn't even notice the animation quality-perhaps the story was just THAT intriguing. Not to mention it kept me thoroughly entertained every episode.

The underlying theme noted in the title IMO is not spoiler["NHK" is not a figment of Satou's imagination or apart of some psychological disorder. NHK is used as a form of relief in this rather cruel world, but not to the point where it is unrealistically justified (i.e. the bad man made me do it!); bad things happen to good people and that's just life. I was really moved when Satou decided to commit suicide as a way to emphasize his wish for Mizaki to live happy; he figured that she would abide by his wishes if they were his last ones. It's the only irrational way he could think of to save her; although it may have been the wrong choice, the intentions were what really got to me.]

I recall Selenta mentioning how spoiler[Satou's RMT phase was unrealistic. I disagree, because good people can get caught up in a addiction and truly act in some of the most bizarre ways a person can imagine. It happens in the real world; I've seen it, experienced it, and read about it. The series rarely (if ever) strays from a believable viewpoint.]

A must see for people in my age group (18-25), although I think everyone should see it. I believe that my age group would appreciate it the most.
ShadowTrader

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:

A must see for people in my age group (18-25), although I think everyone should see it. I believe that my age group would appreciate it the most.

I just finished the series not too long ago as well, and I couldn't agree more with your analysis. I can definitely say that I relate to Satou more than I would of have when I was still a teen.
I rated this one as a masterpiece, but I must also emphasize that its only a masterpiece because I've had enough life experience, that the real depth of the series really penetrated my psyche. I would not urge those who are still immature of age and mind to watch it just because everyone recommends it.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I just realized I posted in other threads but not in the official thread my final impressions of this show, which I finished quite a while ago.

I'm giving a nod to Kirkdawg's analysis. This show was poignant and seemed to make use of the phrase "real life is stranger than fiction" by being just the right amount of strange. Kudos for a story about two very f***ed up people in love who utterly need each other, done sweetly and heart-wrenchingly. I was rooting for Misaki and Satou until the very end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10