• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Next Forum Tournament - Voting Results

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:51 pm Reply with quote
See here for proposal voting.

See here for results.

For those who have not participated in our official forum tournaments before, these are bracketed single elimination tournaments which set characters or groups within a certain criteria against each other head-to-head. Discussing the relative merits of characters within the given categories is at least half the fun, but there is a long tradition of serious evaluation of merits, too. The category used and the roster of participants are both chosen by general vote; this is the first stage.

PAST TOURNAMENTS
These categories have been used before, so neither they nor any idea very similar to them is eligible to be used again:

Coolest Character (Dec. 2010 - May 2011)

Best Supporting Character (2010)

Best Team/Organization (2009-2010)

Best Hero/Heroine (2009)

Most Clever/Intelligent Character (2008-2009)

Best Duo (2008)

Most Evil Character (2007-2008)

Crazy Character (2006-2007)

Moe Character (2005-2006)

PROPOSALS
Honestly, I think we're running low on fully viable and interesting ideas, but there is one which has been proposed multiple times before whose time has, IMO, finally come. And since we've have two straight solo tournaments, a pair/group tournament is now eligible again, too:

Best Rivals

We've previously done a Best Duo format, but we pretty much decided at that point that duos built on rivalries were not strong contenders. The idea has lingered ever since and should be completely viable. We don't have to worry about the breadth of the field, as dedicated rivalries are hardly limited to shonen action series; they appear quite frequently in romantic series, comedies, space series, and even dramas. Rivalries can come in a wide variety of themes: romantic, ideological, political, competitive, legal (e.g. a cop and criminal who go at it over the years), and familial are all options that immediately come to mind, and there may be others, too.

For qualifying criteria, a rivalry must involve two individuals, an individual and a team/organization, or two teams/organizations who have a sustained conflict over a long period of time for one or more of the above-listed reasons. One or both sides must, to some degree, regard their conflict as a rivalry, with top performers being expected to have mutual and open acknowledgement. These requirements would be adhered to strictly, as otherwise we could get swamped with all manner of hero-vs.-villain conflicts that can't really be called rivalries. Judging criteria would be on the strength, mutuality, entertainment value, and development of the rivalry over time.

My one concern here is that we may not be able to put together a field of 128 with this idea. I'm fine with that; it just means that we'd either have a round shorter tournament or else a partial first round where top vote-getters get byes into the second round.

Thoughts? Other reasonable proposals? Do keep in mind that any other proposals being made must be broad enough to cover a wide swatch of genres and must be clearly definable enough to be able to generate some degree of consistent judging criteria.

Last edited by Key on Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering about the inclusion of teams and organizations. Wouldn't it be best to simply keep them out? This kind of wide reach didn't really work well in the coolest tournament. For one, Conan and the Black Organization from Detective are fine rivals, but I'd rather pick a single member from that organization -- or Kaitou Kid (which is the one I'd pick over any member from the organization).
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Are you considering cutting the field down? The length of these tournaments has always been the one thing keeping me from participating because 20 weeks is just...long. And the first few rounds are just riddled with participants I have no idea on, making voting very difficult and boring since it's just a game of read and choose.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:52 pm Reply with quote
A couple ideas:

Best Old Character- Elder anime characters notable for their influence within their anime titles whether helping to guide prominent characters within their series or being comedic relief.

Anime's Biggest Flirt- Anime characters notable for getting the romantic interest and admiration of those from the opposite/ same sex who crave the attention they receive from their admirers and relish and/or take advantage of it for different reasons.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I'll just think through out some categories without much thought or preference. a bit of early brainstorming to get further ideas.

Remember I'm not arguing for these, just spitballing.

Ggultra2764 wrote:

Best Old Character- Elder anime characters notable for their influence within their anime titles whether helping to guide prominent characters within their series or being comedic relief.

The last nominations thread this got some traction under the Best Mentor name, which would favor elder characters but not be determined by age. A con of it being that i may be a slight bore.

in the inverse, how to create a category that favors youth without being defined by it?
Most Precocious? Other than necessitating some to look up the word it could be an option and works for children through teens. encompassing shonens and child geniuses alike.
Maybe Best Prodigy might be another way to do that, althoiugh being precocious means maturing/excelling in ways other than merely skill or intelligence.

Sexiest?
It is probably a separate enough category from Moe/cute- which was done so long ago it might be time to reveisit the area again.

Best Skill user or Best weapon user or best utensil user
some sort of category to emphasize the characters that need a sword or amulet or sports tool or vehicle to be who they are.

Best athlete... mini tournement fodder?

Most tragic or Worst luck or something
wouldn't have to do with a final outcome but a general attribute. A character isn't tragic becasue they die in the end, they're tragic because they have to go though such misfortune.

...Best savior

...Most clueless

...Biggest pervert

okay, running out of ideas.

But Best Rivals is a good category as well.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Tue May 31, 2011 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Most Precocious? Other than necessitating some to look up the word it could be an option and works for children through teens. encompassing shonens and child geniuses alike.
Maybe Best Prodigy might be another way to do that, althoiugh being precocious means maturing/excelling in ways other than merely skill or intelligence.

These two might be picked off due to seeming too similar to Moe Character and Most Clever/ Intellectual Character respectively.

Quote:
Sexiest?
It is probably a separate enough category from Moe/cute- which was done so long ago it might be time to reveisit the area again.

This would be a fun one to vote on. I imagine there might have to be some other specifications worked out though besides voting based on being physical attractive,
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Best Love Triangle. We can judge them on various levels like most interesting even if the final pair was enivtible, Or look at the most hard fought ones, best dynamic and interaction etc. and not limit it to 3 people depending on the show so even expansive love trees can count.
Key

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:38 pm Reply with quote
To address a few questions:

The King of Harts wrote:
Are you considering cutting the field down? The length of these tournaments has always been the one thing keeping me from participating because 20 weeks is just...long.

Depends on what idea we choose. If we get an idea where I don't feel a field of 128 is viable, then we will run with a field of 64 instead.

egoist wrote:
I'm wondering about the inclusion of teams and organizations. Wouldn't it be best to simply keep them out? This kind of wide reach didn't really work well in the coolest tournament. For one, Conan and the Black Organization from Detective are fine rivals, but I'd rather pick a single member from that organization -- or Kaitou Kid (which is the one I'd pick over any member from the organization).

In cases like that, nominators would have to decide whether the rivalry works better as individual vs. individual (with the focus on one individual within the group) or individual vs. group. In most cases I expect that which way to go should be fairly clear - you just choose the stronger match-up - and in cases where it's not the nomination voting can let everyone help decide. In cases where there's an overlap, only the higher vote-getter will proceed.

I can't see eliminating groups from the picture in any case, as that cuts out some excellent rivalries such as the Capulets and the Montagues in Romeo x Juliet or (especially) the two ninja clans in Basilisk.

Of other ideas posted so far, Best Love Triangle looks most interesting but I fear that it would be too subjective. Then there's also cases like Kimikiss and Urusei Yatsura where defining who exactly is in the love triangle can be complicated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Wealthiest Character: This is one I've been wanting to propose for a long time. I think it's humorous how in many shows there's a character, usually a supporting character or antagonist who is unimaginably wealthy. Almost as if being rich is a character type. There are a couple downsides to this proposal and first is it's very difficult to quantify exactly how wealthy a character is because it's usually depicted as vague and just as part of a certain characters development by showing his or her background. So I think in terms of comparing a character's wealth, less emphasis should be placed on an actual monetary value and more on things like status, possessions and way of life. The other downside to this is that there's one particular character who is so much of a shoe-in for this tournament, it would be an almost flawless win for him (hint, he was in the last tournament).

But if we do it sometime in the future I would like to make it clear that only main and supporting characters are eligible. This is because if we assume Tomoyo-chan's (CCS) parents are the one's actually earning all that wealth, we are still just talking about Tomoyo-chan herself because her parents are only minor characters even though it's them that are actually responsible for that wealth.

Last edited by P€|\||§_|\/|ast@ on Tue May 31, 2011 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if this is what Spastic Minnow meant with Best Savior but it made me think Best Deus Ex Machina. We could either be board about it and use the actual meaning of the word which would allow us to include things like Super Saiyan Mode, Senzu Beans, Mechas etc. Or we can just stick to individuals or individual moments in a particular series.

Also when isn't one of these tournaments a bit subjective?
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Just thought of another one: Anime's Biggest Otaku. This has a very good likelihood of being restricted only to recent shows as having anime characters themselves being otaku is a pretty new phenomenon. But this is good for some participants who might complain that tournaments introduce too many characters of old shows that not many forum members have seen.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Best P.O.V. Character in a Harem!
Rationale: Most of them are so colourless that it makes the special ones all the more special (Kyon in Haruhi Suzumiya, Haruhi in Ouran...)
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Just thought of another one: Anime's Biggest Otaku. This has a very good likelihood of being restricted only to recent shows as having anime characters themselves being otaku is a pretty new phenomenon.
I love this suggestion. (And I can think of worthy examples at least back to the 80s.) It's definitely do-able and fun.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Depends on what idea we choose. If we get an idea where I don't feel a field of 128 is viable, then we will run with a field of 64 instead.

That's good enough, I suppose. I'd like to actually be able to go from beginning to end one of these times, so hopefully it goes 64.

My proposal:

Best Leader

Leaders are the people that keep their squad of at least 2 other people cool under pressure. The team may not always like their leader and their ways, but they can and do put their personal feelings aside and follow his lead. Leaders include individuals that head up forces, squads, revolt teams, organizations, fleets, clans, ships, and most anything else that involves a group of people that work together for a goal.

Now, I do think there are people that fit into that criteria, but aren't really considered leaders. For example, Zordon isn't the leader of the Power Rangers. The Red Ranger is the leader as he plays a much more active role and leads the team in real time. So yea, Zordon is the head, but the Red Ranger keeps things going and the team looks to him for orders. Basically, talking head types (Zordon? Talking heads?) don't qualify as leaders, unless they're actively giving the team orders like a captain moving squads in position.

The idea does need fine tuning though, as "best" leader is difficult. While Captain Tylor is a bumbling bafoon, his team respects him and he's successful. Meanwhile Major Kusanagi runs a fine tuned machine that's deadly precise. Then there's are leaders of evil syndicates that don't succeed, but are still difficult adversaries. It's just that there's so much in being a leader that it can be difficult to decide who's better and for what reasons.
Key

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:08 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Best Leader

Leaders are the people that keep their squad of at least 2 other people cool under pressure. The team may not always like their leader and their ways, but they can and do put their personal feelings aside and follow his lead. Leaders include individuals that head up forces, squads, revolt teams, organizations, fleets, clans, ships, and most anything else that involves a group of people that work together for a goal.

I do think this idea is highly viable, but my concern here is that it would be the "same-'ole, same-'ole" for top competitors. You'd see Section 9 reps and the LoGH stand-bys placing highly, and I don't want to trudge through yet another series of rounds about what makes those characters great. (At least not yet.) I want to see an idea that will bring in a lot of fresh blood, characters and series that have rarely or never made prominent and lasting appearances in these forum tournaments.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7