• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unpredictable

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Couldn't think of a really short way to describe this. One thing I really love is shows that are completely unpredictable at times, no matter how hard you try, you can't see what's coming (though it may seem obvious in hindsight). The other thing I like is shows that incorporate more than one style or genre.

Some examples of series that really had me guessing until the end or misled me well:
Bleach - spoiler[Was caught completely blindsided by Aizen]
Utawarerumono (the one that got me to make this thread) - spoiler[This show took me a while to get into as it appeared bland at first, but it looks like it's going to be much much more]
FLCL - Though, I had to watch it 3-4 times to get it, so it's a little different, but I think you see what I'm getting at
Gantz - spoiler[Wow, i did NOT see everyone dying coming, and when they did I lost all my faith in my ability to predict]
Inu Yasha - spoiler[haha, just kidding]
Negima - spoiler[Asuna dying? wtf was that?! Easily one of the most unexpected things ever, even if they did wimp out and hit that fabled "reset button"]
Death Note - nothing special here, just nearly impossible to predict what's going to happen most of the time

A few shows that I thought incorporated more than one style successfully:
Elfen Lied - a harem/horror? Brilliant!
Haruhi - uh... just doesn't fit well into any category except that it's funny (at times)

Does anyone know of any more shows that might fit into these categories? (obviously no spoilers please)(and which category they fit into)[/spoiler]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jaybug39

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:27 pm Reply with quote
How about Serial Experiment Lain? But then, I hardly knew what just happened, let alone know what is going to happen next. And this is the main reason that Lain is not one of my more favored anime.
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:25 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
Some examples of series that really had me guessing until the end or misled me well:
Bleach - spoiler[Was caught completely blindsided by Aizen]
Inu Yasha - spoiler[haha, just kidding]

Yeah, that Bleach one completely got me too. I thought that the spoiler[note left to Hinamori by Aizen was somewhat true but it didn't pertain to Hitsugaya, but Byakuya and Gin. I was really sure that Byakuya was in on it and that was the reason why he wanted Rukia killed.] Apparently, I was completely wrong.

As for Inuyasha, I couldn't agree more with you. I mean it's just so unpredictable, that I decided to not watch the entire series.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:58 pm Reply with quote
yeah right now for me it's Ergo Proxy. this show started off as pretty much a Ghost in The Shell ripoff. and then all of a sudden it's revealed that spoiler[Vincent is Ergo Proxy]. that was a huge shock for me, and it pretty much changed the entire direction of the show from that point on.
Kidder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:24 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
yeah right now for me it's Ergo Proxy. this show started off as pretty much a Ghost in The Shell ripoff. and then all of a sudden it's revealed that spoiler[Vincent is Ergo Proxy]. that was a huge shock for me, and it pretty much changed the entire direction of the show from that point on.

Definately Ergo Proxy. It's one of the few anime shows currently running that have really captured my interest and imagination. I remember a good number of us Ergo Proxy fans spent the early episodes trying to predict where the Proxy was coming from and where the story was heading.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:35 am Reply with quote
Really? Ergo Proxy has any worth to it?

/sigh

I watched the first 2-3 episodes then decided there were better shows to watch like higurashi and haruhi and nana and.... and... I've done this for like 6 shows now, at this point maybe I should just go back and get ALL the shows that came out last season (though I've seen nearly all of them now...) just to make sure I didn't miss any other good ones.

Lain to? I was kind of putting that one off in favor of more recent stuff... but...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Azathrael

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:32 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Shuffle!. I think the later half of the series was the most unpredictable turn of events in the history of my anime viewing.
Hoenheim

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I'll go with Paranoia Agent. It doesn't start off too compelling, but then as it gets deeper into the whole series's mysteries, you find out way more about exactly what was going on, and saves the biggest mysteries till the last episode, as well as being brilliantly written.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:00 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

So can I assume it gets better? I watched the first couple of episodes and it seemed like a blend of GitS and Appleseed to me. Pretty decent but really unoriginal (not to mention the attempt at ambigious storytelling doesn't work like it did in Texhnolyze).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1