• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Second needed to make Summer Wars Hugo-eligible for 2012

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking for someone who's going to this year's Worldcon to help give Summer Wars a proper chance at Hugo eligibility.

The background:

The Hugo Awards are the top awards in sf. They're given out at the World Science Fiction Convention (Worldcon) after being voted on by members of Worldcon.

A foreign-language work like Summer Wars gets two shots at Hugo eligibility, once when originally released, and once when released in English. For most practical purposes, it was released in English in 2010, when it started showing outside of film festivals. However, as you may know, it was an extremely limited release, showing in a small number of cities for a week at a time, and the DVD wasn't released until this year.

Which brings us to this rule:

Quote:
In the event that a potential Hugo Award nominee receives extremely limited distribution in the year of its first publication or presentation, its eligibility may be extended for an additional year by a three fourths (3/4) vote of the intervening Business Meeting of WSFS.

What this means is that anyone attending Worldcon can go to the Business Meeting, suggest that a specific work meets the necessary conditions, and have it put to a vote.

The Business Meeting runs on Robert's Rules of Order, which means that any proposal must be seconded by somebody before it is acted on. This is where I'm looking for a volunteer who will be at Worldcon! All you have to do is come to the appropriate segment of the Business Meeting, which is going to be at 10am Thursday of the con, and say "Seconded" after I say "Move that Summer Wars be granted extended eligibility."

After a motion is seconded, there's a chance for people to speak for and against it, and then there's the vote. I'll explain the situation, and that will probably be that for debate. (Okay, so it would help if you participate in the vote, too.)

If Summer Wars is indeed granted extended eligibility, it still has to go up against the Hollywood blockbusters for this year, so I'm not sure what its chances are of making next year's ballot. But with the number of awards it's gotten (not least a Japanese equivalent of a Hugo), it definitely deserves the courtesy of a fair shot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1