• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Higurashi - When They Cry (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:59 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:

I want details not a general overview please.

This series ended up like Lost for me, I wanted to know what was going on but couldn't be bothered to sit through getting there.

Sorry, there are too many details to try to cover everything in a synopsis. If you want the details, watch the series.

[Warning: the following contains megaspoilers from the second series, not just the first. It will spoiler the biggest mysteries of Higurashi, so read at your own risk]

Basically spoiler[The reason people went crazy due to a virus called "Hinamizawa syndrome." I actually don't recall the details of how it worked. Anyway, after saving Satoko from her abusive father, Rika finally finds out who is behind the murders: Takano. Major Takano, as she leads a special ops unit of sorts, of which Tomitake and the good doctor are a part of. But Takano has a different agenda from them, hence why she kills Tomitake every time. Anyway, this time, Rika tells the rest of the group whats going on so they can try to protect her and break the curse. Takano ends up killing all of them but Rika comes away with a prize: She remembers that Takano is responsible when she wakes up next time. Then they use the power of friendship (and help from a few other people) to defeat Takano and her unit.]

Last edited by HitokiriShadow on Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Anyone reading the previous post, do bear in mind that this is a spoiler for the end of the 2nd series (Kai), not the first.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Lebowski

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only person who tought the whole spoiler["With friendship we can do it"]thing was corny as hell. It felt rather out of place considering the rest of the series.
Metal Superman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I finished this one a while back. It's a good series. I was fascinated at how enthralling the first 26 episodes were, but the second season seems to fall short of it's predecessors glory. It's still an amazing series though.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:24 am Reply with quote
Yes do keep in mind that block of spoilers spoils BOTH seasons.

Hentai4me's post should've been shoved in a season 2 thread assuming there is one =P

Same as superman, and as I rated them in my anime list, the second season did some things well and explained most of the major points( I believe..been like a year), but after the carnage and mystery of the first season, the spoiler[more detective/military like atmosphere of the second season just didn't grab me as much.] This first season seriously freaked me out. As in some sleeping problems. All the more fun at sucking me in though.

And the site skin that is on ANN right now for Higurashi is really awesome...
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:45 am Reply with quote
The two series are really two different animals I'd agree, but each a masterpiece in their own way. Plus they play off of each other so you couldn't really have one without the other. A question is no good without it's answer and an answer is useless without knowing the question.

Lebowski wrote:
Am I the only person who tought the whole spoiler["With friendship we can do it"]thing was corny as hell. It felt rather out of place considering the rest of the series.

Well, I hate to point it out, but both series were chalked full of corny moments so I didn't find it a big deal. Luckily there was more than enough sheer story power, gruesome violence, and good characters to balance it out.
sogekihei-neko

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I just got disk five today, so I haven't seen the entire 1st season (I'm funny that way....I'll buy it legally =P)

So far I like the way everything is coming together in the story as the different arcs end...and I'll leave it at that (no spoilers).

And of course how can you NOT love a homicidal loli with a huge cleaver? Cool
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Well, I've already seen them and I'm buying it legally too. It's too good not to. Smile
bucklemyshoe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:54 pm Reply with quote
So I just finished episode 4 and I'm still not drawn in. I want to really like this show but it just moves along too slow.

My question is, should I give up or does it start to pick up?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4 of When They Cry (Higurashi no Naku Koroni) or Higurashi no Naku Koroni Kai? May sound like a dumb question, but I ask because I've seen more than one person start watching the sequel, Kai, first without having seen the first series, and have similiar reactions. If it's Kai, this is not a franchise in which you can watch out of order, it won't have the same impact.

If that's not the case if you're not intrigued after the first disc of When They Cry, (for reasons which would escape me) you won't be interested in the rest either.
bucklemyshoe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:46 pm Reply with quote
When They Cry.

It's not that I'm not intrested, it's just everything moves along so slow.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Actually it moves pretty speedy considering the series is divided into self contained 4 to 6 episode chapters. Basically you're getting about 6 different series in one series. After 4 the series restarts and a new scenario begins in which one of the other kids goes nuts and events unfold way differently. It all begins to come togather in the last arc of course and the second series explains what's going on in even greater detail.
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:19 am Reply with quote
bucklemyshoe wrote:
So I just finished episode 4 and I'm still not drawn in. I want to really like this show but it just moves along too slow.

My question is, should I give up or does it start to pick up?

I felt the same way at this point. I dropped it for a few months and then after seeing some rave reviews tried watching it again. Only I accidentally watched the second season instead. I enjoyed that a lot more, primarily because it was more focused, seemed to move faster and had clear objectives. After completing and enjoying the second season I then watched the first season and enjoyed it a lot more, since I knew where it was going. It still held plenty of shocking surprises for me though.

Just my 2 cents
lllwtflll

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:43 am Reply with quote
I had heard so much about this series so I decided to marathon it this weekend. I just finished it about an hour ago and there's one specific little thing that's been bugging me and i hope someone can clear it up for me.

spoiler[In episode 25, when Keiichi remembers everything that happened in episode 4, we find out that he was just extremely paranoid and there wasn't actually any syringe, it was just a marker. What about the needle in the rice ball though? Was that actually there? Or did he just imagine it? Also, the little confrontation he had with Rena in the bushes beside the road in episode 4. Was he so paranoid that he was just imagining Rena's psychotic laugh? In reality were all of his friends - Rena and Mion especially - truly just trying to help him?]

If anyone could clear that up for me I would really appreciate it! Thanks!
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:56 am Reply with quote
lllwtflll wrote:
I had heard so much about this series so I decided to marathon it this weekend. I just finished it about an hour ago and there's one specific little thing that's been bugging me and i hope someone can clear it up for me.

spoiler[In episode 25, when Keiichi remembers everything that happened in episode 4, we find out that he was just extremely paranoid and there wasn't actually any syringe, it was just a marker. What about the needle in the rice ball though? Was that actually there? Or did he just imagine it? Also, the little confrontation he had with Rena in the bushes beside the road in episode 4. Was he so paranoid that he was just imagining Rena's psychotic laugh? In reality were all of his friends - Rena and Mion especially - truly just trying to help him?]

If anyone could clear that up for me I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

spoiler[I heard that the "needle" in the rice ball was actually hot sauce. Apparently, there are some details that are in the games (that the anime is based on) that never make it into the show.

I'm fairly certain that Keiichi did indeed imagine the crazy laughs in that scene in episode 4: Rena and Mion were indeed just trying to help him. If you watch the scene between Keiichi and Rena again, and ignore the creepy music/tone of voice, and the blade and the laughter, and just focus on the actual words Rena says to him, it takes on a whole new meaning. Especially if you've seen Season 2 and understand some of the things Rena is referring to.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 29 of 30