• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
VA opinions of PoKemon: Mastermind of Mirage PoKemon

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Frankman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:06 am Reply with quote
So far what do you think of the new VA's for PoKemon: Mastermind of Mirage PoKemon? For the first 20-25 minutos this is my opinion:

Ash- FINALLY has a deeper voice, sounds much older with no scratchiness. For purists it's a disgrace but for the "Why doesn't Ash get older" crowd, that's gravy. However, not a ton of variation in his voice.
Brock- Though he likewise sounds deeper, does he sound "forced" to you? The pitch and tone sounds . . . off. And slightly monotone.
May- Doesn't sound spunky anymore. Much more subdued. Also sounds TOO OLD.

Team Rocket- Hmmm, Jessie actually looks a tad different (might be me), James doesn't sound much better than the old Eric Stuart version, and the VA for Meowth needed to try decaf.

Again, this is through like half the of the show.

Last edited by The Frankman on Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Nakariou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:28 am Reply with quote
To be a long time Pokemon fan from the beginning of the English broadcasting, the voices sound terrible. Max, Misty, and Jessie sound sound simmlar, but still its not the same. Even the Pokemon sound different to me, also the drawings are bad.

Also Ash sounds like Richie from alwhile back in the show and the Koby from One Piece. But 4Kids has no rights right now do they?
Alex K.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:36 am Reply with quote
Actually, I think they cast Luffy's VA as Ash. Poor Veronica Taylor, she's probably steaming right now.
Nakariou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:38 am Reply with quote
It could be that too, they all sound the same to me. I just don't watch the dubbed One Piece that much.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:44 am Reply with quote
Nakariou wrote:
It could be that too, they all sound the same to me. I just don't watch the dubbed One Piece that much.

You may be right but I don't hear any similarities between dubbed Luffy and Ash at all. Must've really worked to create an original voice.

From the original article:
Quote:
...Pokemon U.S.A. will assume control over all Pokemon licensing in the U.S. and North America starting on January 1. 4Kids Entertainment has had a share of Pokemon licensing and has produced the American versions of the various Pokemon anime TV series, but starting in January Pokemon U.S.A. will assume all licensing duties for Pokemon and will also produce the English language version of the next Pokemon anime slated for release in North America, Pokemon: Battle Frontier.

This is a link to the original Talkback! article. I'd like to get opinions and info for a little something I'm trying to write.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:07 am Reply with quote
It's over, and here are the voices (trying to find who was who):

Billy Beach
Michelle Knotz
Rodger Parsons
Bill Rogers
Billy Regan
Jamie Peacock
Diane Stillwell

All in all, it's sad to see some of the better VA performances dragged down by May (cannot emote) and Ash (fluctuating voice) and Brock (I can't put my finger on it but he sounds wrong). Maybe it'll get ironed out in future episodes . . .
Nakariou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:07 am Reply with quote
I'm looking at the credits and for the voices it has these people:
Billy Beach
Michelle Knotz
Rodger Parsons
Bill Rogers
Billy Regan - Brock or Oak?
Jamie Peacock
Diane Stillwell

Edit: Seems you beat me xD Also I guess its neither Koby, Luffy, or Richie as Ash.
Halohound326

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:52 am Reply with quote
Nakariou's bro here, I've figured out that no one on Mastermind of Mirage is with 4K!ds. But My opinion for voices: Everyone sounds weird. But Max hasn't changed much.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Bad job here, they should've had one person of note. Brock is the worst crime (after hearing Seto Kaiba on Yu-Gi-Oh! the difference is stark). If ASh's VA gets a handle on the fluctuations when emoting I think I'll like it a lot. I've always wanted Ash to have a deeper voice.

The writing/dialogue in PoKemon: MoMP . . . that's another story. Crying or Very sad
Shorty22

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Most of those characters were the sorriest sounding "sound-a-likes" ever. It's like they didn't even try. Now, I'll be generous and give Misty, Jessie, and Max a pass. They weren't really sound-a-likes, but they were the top three in similarity.

May. Ok, did she age like 10 years while no one was looking? She sounds so old, it's kinda funny. Her voice reminded me of someone else though, but I can't place who. And the poor girl has no emotion anymore. When Max almost got hit with that attack as they were running out of the castle, she just monotonely said "Max. No." instead of like, "Maax! NO!" This was just even more blaringly apparent since they recently had an episode where May called out for Max as he was attacked and thrown off a cliff.

Ash. I didn't like the deeper voice, plus somehow it made him seem younger. Was it just me or was he really throwing around some abbrevated words and slang? It's like they changed his whole speaking pattern. And when Mew woke him up, he was so easily distracted from getting Pikachu it was insane. Need I really point out to anyone that Pikachu is Ash's best friend and should be his first thought, especially when they're alone.

Prof. Oak & Brock. Both of them sound really scratchy and deeper. And they made Brock kinda like actually perverted. He was really obsessing over Jenny there. Brock is capable of going to get Jenny for serious help without having some hormone induced fantasy about her before running off. What the hell was up with that? It's not like it's Miroku needing to be persauded by young women to help the town or kill a demon. They crossed the line with that here. And Jenny actually put her hand on Brock's face to push him away! I'm not sure Jenny or Joy has ever done anymore more than sweatdrop and kinda back away before.

Meowth. Aw, my poor Meowth, his lovely abbrevated, accented speech pattern is gone. Well, I guess they tried to imitate it, but just failed miserably.

Did you notice that most of the pokemon they used were the ones that don't talk or we haven't seen/don't see regularly? Pikachu sounded alright, but it's like his phrasing was messed up or something. And Mew! I was expecting something like the first movie voice, poor Mew sounded really whiny. But I could let that pass.

And what was up with Team Rocket? They didn't even serve a purpose in this special. Usually in movies, they serve some purpose, good or bad, in their small air time. They do something. In the first movie, they spoiler[found the background information for us and accidentally started up the machine]. In other movies, they've spoiler[helped/rescued Ash & Co. in some way]. It's like they didn't know what to do with Team Rocket. They might as well not have bothered to even put them into the special, they did absolutely nothing.

Plus most of the characters seemed to suffer from forced, monotoned, simple dialogue. It seemed like it was a miracle if they said more than 5 word sentences. "That was close." "My name is May." "I have pokemon skills." (I hope to never hear that phrase again.) "What are you doin' here?" ... Dude, some of them really should have just said "I am a robot." and have been done with it. Rolling Eyes

Did you notice the commercials advertising the special didn't have a single vocal clip in them? It's like they were hiding the fact that they changed the voice actors. Usually, they have Ash saying something exciting or one of the new friends pointing something out or you know... actual vocal words by the characters in them. The lack of words gave me a bad feeling when I first saw them.

Overall, the premise of the story seemed good, but it was like it was poorly executed. I want to say it was like bad fanfiction. You saw where they were headed, but it just didn't get there fluidly. Plus some of the animation was out of portion and like half of the time, the way the mouths moved was really off/distracting to me. This is the first time ever that I actually got up and wandered away during a new Pokemon airing.

If these are the voices that Pokemon USA really plans on sticking with, then as much as it pains me to say this, I don't know if I'm going to be watching Pokemon anymore. It's like they've ruined my old friend and I just don't recognize it anymore. I don't know if I'll be able to get pass the different voices to just enjoy the series again. And that just saddens me immensely. Sad It'd be one thing if it was a shorter series, there was actor death, etc. but for the reason of money and after so many years, I just don't know...
coldspider

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:31 pm Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:

Ash- FINALLY has a deeper voice, sounds much older with no scratchiness.

You're kidding right? Ash sounds even higher now.Most have said he now sounds like Richie (in a way he does),but he also sounds like that little kid Mikey (kid with the Eevee),WAY back in one of the early episodes.

Jesus,these new voices sound AWFUL.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:49 pm Reply with quote
coldspider wrote:
The Frankman wrote:

Ash- FINALLY has a deeper voice, sounds much older with no scratchiness.

You're kidding right? Ash sounds even higher now.Most have said he now sounds like Richie (in a way he does),but he also sounds like that little kid Mikey (kid with the Eevee),WAY back in one of the early episodes.

Jesus,these new voices sound AWFUL.

Sticking to my gunz. The voice has a deeper pitch, though I admit there is some scratchiness. I'm more perturbed about the writing.

Jessie: "Look, a door!"
James: "It looks suspicious."
Meowth: "NO DOORS' STOPPIN US!"

Shocked The Frankman am cry. Shocked
animechicky123

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:45 am Reply with quote
Okay just a stupid question, would everyone be picking apart the show if the old voice actors were in it? THe type of pokemon that were shown were choosen by the animators in Japan! Yeah the script was weak, but the focus of this post is
"VA opinions of PoKemon: Mastermind of Mirage PoKemon"

Overall they weren't bad. Half the time team rocket serves no purpose anyway, just some comic relief. They say their speach and are "blasted off again"

People have to remeber that in America the good dubs are forced to fit within the lip flap. If Jessie had more then three words in the original script, it wouldn't fit in the dubbing with current animation. SO what fits? "Look a door."

What do you want? This is pokemon and there have been equally bad scripts produced by 4kids as well?

Like I said in a other post, I'd rather see the ending of the series then not at all. WB has pulled Pokemon and yu gi oh from their line up. I don't know where they are going to go, but I still want to see them. If anything put it DVD and if you HATE the VA's so bad watch the Japanese track and read the subtitles
Alex K.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:19 am Reply with quote
animechicky123 wrote:
Like I said in a other post, I'd rather see the ending of the series then not at all. WB has pulled Pokemon and yu gi oh from their line up. I don't know where they are going to go, but I still want to see them. If anything put it DVD and if you HATE the VA's so bad watch the Japanese track and read the subtitles

Pokemon will probably end up as a Toonami exclusive like One Piece.

Also, there's no way we're going to get bilingual Pokemon DVDs at this point. All that will do is confuse the kiddies who have no idea that Pokemon is a Japanese cartoon. Also, they'd have to re-release the fist 350+ episodes on new bilingual discs with subtitles, and I don't think they would even bother doing that (maybe in box sets or something, though).
Shorty22

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:29 pm Reply with quote
animechicky123 wrote:
Would everyone be picking apart the show if the old voice actors were in it?

Well, if the old voice actors were in it, then no one would be paying attention to it and there wouldn't have been a news articles about it, although it probably would have been mentioned in passing on the front page. Someone probably would have made a thread about the special anyway though.

animechicky123 wrote:
Yeah the script was weak, but the focus of this post is "VA opinions of PoKemon: Mastermind of Mirage PoKemon"

And just because the thread started out for VA opinions doesn't mean it can't expand. At the time, this was the only thread active about the special, so I expanded my view into the whole concept; voices, writing, animation, since the whole thing is an American made special and I wanted to touch on those points, so I did. Going off on related tangents is hardly against the rules.

animechicky123 wrote:

They pulled them from their fall lineup. That's at least 3 months away. Yugioh will have finished by then; they're airing the last few episodes of the last arc now, so really, that's a mute point. And I'm curious as to what's going to happen with the Pokemon TV airings. The only thing I can see is Cartoon Network picking it up, but who knows if they even want it or not. I want to see it survive, but I don't want to see it injured, limping through it's next season(s).

The anime fan's world would be a much simpler place if we could just pop in our uncut, unedited, biligual, subtitled anime DVD for any series. Unfortunately, many of the younger titles don't have that. Man, why do I have to like simple shonen titles? They're prime targets for dub-only or no release at all...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3