• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
England only...?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kurayami_Ookami

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:32 am Reply with quote
'Allo...

^^; I was wondering, because a friend of mine is going to england, and said he'd bring me back something, if there are any Animes (or mangas, or j-music) Available there that are unavailable/rare in the USA?

I need to know by tonight, if there are any...

Thankya ^^;
totalgeek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:45 am Reply with quote
Actually, I've heard that the Europeans (England in particular) have a harder time finding anime than America does. There MIGHT be a title or two that the English have that America doesn't, but I'd be hard pressed to name them.

The only thing I can think of is the English Dub Version of GITS2: Innocense, since that is being produced in England by Manga Entertainment with the GITS: SAC cast, but I don't think that has actually been released, yet. Besides, you would need a DVD player capable of playing Region 2 DVDs.

EDIT: I just looked it up and GITS2: Innocense was supposedly released a couple weeks ago in England. So, if your friend does get it for you on his trip you should come back to the forum and review it for all of us who couldn't get it.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:28 am Reply with quote
Just make sure you have a Mult-region DVD player as it will be in R2.
MIBlackburn_d6

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:40 am Reply with quote
There's not much anime here compared to North America although we do rarely get some stuff that North America dosen't.

These are the only things I can think of at the moment that have a better US release:

Akira by Manga Entertainment has both English dubs on, the original Streamline and then the new Pioneer dub (aswell as the Japanese of course).

Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence also by Manga Entertainment has an English dub and the Japanese with translated subtitles in Stereo, 5.1 and DTS aswell as a commentary, making of and exclusive interview with Oshii.

Howl's Moving Castle by Optimum Releasing is the similar to the US release but has more extras and the picture quality is better than the US DVD (well it should be anyway seeing as it is PAL which has a higher resolution). This DVD is out on the 13th of March.

You can also get older stuff like Ulysses 31 in a 3 disc boxset aswell as all of Battle of the Planets in a boxset.

There might be more stuff available over here but I'm not sure.

Also if you want to play the DVDs make sure you have a multi-region DVD player that can handle PAL aswell as a TV that can handle PAL.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by MIBlackburn_d6 on Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:19 am Reply with quote
MIBlackburn_d6 wrote:
Also if you want to play the DVDs make sure you have a multi-region DVD player that can handle PAL aswell as a TV that can handle PAL.
I don't know how many times I have to say this is a red herring. Rolling Eyes DVD players, whether mult-region, or region restricted, with always convert to whatever analogue output format they were manufactured for. Therefore if a person has a multi-region player purchased in the US, for example, then no matter what region the disc was produced in, it should play out on an NTSC receiver, also purchased in the US, quite happily.
angel_lover

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:56 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I don't know how many times I have to say this is a red herring. Rolling Eyes DVD players, whether mult-region, or region restricted, with always convert to whatever analogue output format they were manufactured for.

Not always entirely true. Yes, they will present the analogue output in the correct basic format, so a a DVD player in the US will always output NTSC-format output, but not every player will convert the frame rate. It's the same in Europe, every multiregion DVD player will output a PAL signal, but when playing a US DVD, some players will output true PAL at 50 fields per second, and some (cheaper?) ones can only output 60 fields per second - this is called PAL-60. Not every TV can cope with PAL-60, so I guess the same things could apply in the US with NTCS-50.
Space_cowboy64

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:09 am Reply with quote
well the thing is in england we get almost everything in the kinda third cycle. so if were talking about anime it goes japan america then jolly old england. the same is for films.

the only thing i can think of that we might get before u guys is in computer games there are some we get before others like the new eldar scrolls oblivion becuase its horibly british (gonna be stupidly good though). to relate this reply to anime i think MIBlackburn_d6 covered it all really.

england really does suck for anime we bearly have any tv stations or anything.

dont come to england Very Happy jokes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:07 pm Reply with quote
All-Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku had an UK-only dub, complete with British accents, that was completely different from ADV's dub, which came out much later, and it has songs performed by a band called "Marina Speaks", according to Helen McCarthy's ancient Anime Movie Guide.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:52 pm Reply with quote
MIBlackburn_d6 wrote:
Howl's Moving Castle by Optimum Releasing is the similar to the US release but has more extras and the picture quality is better than the US DVD (well it should be anyway seeing as it is PAL which has a higher resolution). This DVD is out on the 13th of March.

The amazon version cliams to have a special case.
There is also something that amazon keeps recommending called the Little Norse Prince. I don't know anything about this film, but I believe it's anime.
I think Gunbusters had a DVD release, but have never seen it for sale. The animeondvd review says it is edited and hard subtititled.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:42 am Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
I don't know how many times I have to say this is a red herring. Rolling Eyes DVD players, whether mult-region, or region restricted, with always convert to whatever analogue output format they were manufactured for.

Not always entirely true. Yes, they will present the analogue output in the correct basic format, so a a DVD player in the US will always output NTSC-format output, but not every player will convert the frame rate. It's the same in Europe, every multiregion DVD player will output a PAL signal, but when playing a US DVD, some players will output true PAL at 50 fields per second, and some (cheaper?) ones can only output 60 fields per second - this is called PAL-60. Not every TV can cope with PAL-60, so I guess the same things could apply in the US with NTCS-50.
I've got loads of R1 discs and not one has given me problems. and I'm on my second multi-region player. It's all down to the digital to analogue converter installed in a player. the digital information that is on a disc is the same round the world for basic DVD read only format. Region coding is a marketing weeze agreed between the studios and manufacturers of DVDs. The major ones that also have studios, like Sony, will not let you change region coding in their players. but the more smaller independent manufacterers, though they set up a player for that region, will also allow the less technically challanged to change a player into multi region.
MIBlackburn_d6

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:45 am Reply with quote
There are actually three exclusive covers from three different companies. One from Amazon, one from HMV (which is the cheapest and looks very nice) and one from Virgin Megastores.

Oh I forgot to mention the Little Norse Prince. It was just released last October with a new release of the Castle of Cagliostro. It was Isao Takahata's first film as director. Its a nice watch but the DVD is a very bare, just the film itself only in Japanese with English subs, a trailer for the Castle of Cagliostro and one for Grave of the Fireflies.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I believe Millennium Actress has a UK-exclusive dub, although I was looking at it in HMV yesterday (where it's on sale for £5) and apparently the dub is actually in some wierd language called Englsih I've not heard of before Razz
We have the odd exclusive commentary.. I think it was the re-release of Spriggan that had a Clementary added.
Generally the only titles that we have that the US doesn't have at all is old little-known stuff that noone is really interested in anyway. There was a thread asking the same question on AoD in the past, but I can't find it now. Are the Sol Bianca OVAs available on DVD in the US? The UK DVD is Japanese-only, hard subbed and low quality but I still enjoyed it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Myhrddin

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:12 pm Reply with quote
So, as I understand this US-Mess, the studio here in the states with the rights is being sold (or acquired..something) and in the meantime they're not doing anything logical.
Meanwhile, the UK now has a nice version of GITS2 Innocence, and if AU doesn't have theirs yet, its just 'round the corner now.
And, an additional goodie or two will be in the AU release.
Back Stateside, we're still exchanging the crappy 1st release to get rid of a poor production for proper sub-titles since the English Dub came afterwards.
There is absolutely NO News about GoFish doing Anything to work with Manga to get this gem across the pond for us. Somebody pour me a drink and get me an ant-acid because this mess is gonna make me PUKE.! *chuckling* Seriously.. This is just about criminal and if GoFish can't catch this one they need to bow out completely and give Manga carte blanche to give us the goodies.!
.......grrrrrrrrrr...........arrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh.!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1