• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Opinions re: watching NGE movies vs. TV show

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:39 am Reply with quote
Ok, so... I've tried to watch NGE before, and only got around to ep 13 or so... it just wasn't really my cup of tea-- a bit too much angst, and not enough character interaction, etc... I like Escaflowne and Macross, but am not a big mecha fan in general.

However, I recently was reading a thread here, and saw someone asking about the (paraphrase) 'vagina on the forehead' of so-and-so scene in one of the movies. Well, needless to say, the concept of an image as bizarre and yet as symbolically resonant as this piqued my interest in watching more of NGE.

My question is this-- from an objective (vs. fanboy) perspective-- how much do I get out of just watching the two movies versus watching the rest of the show and then watching End of Eva? Are they just very different (but both equally interesting) viewing experiences? Or is one version distinctly better than the other??

I know there are like 2 or 3 different endings for the show, so I don't feel like one is more "correct" than another. I'm just looking for opinions re: the artistic merit of my different viewing options.

Also, is stuff like this forehead-vagina shot mentioned above really just an anomaly in the movies (i.e. is it really just a mecha-fighting show still?), or does the show/the movies actually get ...."deeper"/more intellectual/philosophical as it goes along? Because frankly, watching the first 13 eps left me unimpressed. There just wasn't much (IMO) to chew on emotionally or intellectually. It was pretty enough in parts, but that was about it. And as a viewer, I'm not into having to wait 4 hours for a story to get going.... Thus, my interest in the two movies, as perhaps they "cut to the chase" a bit more.

Thanks ahead of time for any input. I know there are a lot of NGE lovers and haters out there.
NeonGEvangelion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:52 am Reply with quote
I suggest you completly watch the 26 TV episodes before watching the movies. The TV episodes have details whcih will help you understand the movies better. You could also watch Death, a recap movie with slightly different dialogue and scenes, but you cant really enjoy NGE or grasp some concepts without watching the full series+both movies. Bout the 'vagina on the face' bit, yes its there but mainly for symbolism. Watch the full series then moveis. NGE.
omar235

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Yes, you should watch the seires and then the movie (though the ending of the seires wasnt that good but it is easier to understand the movie if you watch the seires.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Steve Berry wrote:
does the show/the movies actually get ...."deeper"/more intellectual/philosophical as it goes along?

Heh, you have no idea. My personal experience with this series was kind of like yours. I watched up through episode 9 and randomly decided to order it one day, but I had no idea what I was getting into! If I'm not mistaken, episode 13 is the one with that giant angel that falls from the sky, right? If so, then you stopped watching it RIGHT before it takes its turn to the mind trip side.

I'd tell you to watch the series up through episode 24, then watch End of Evangelion. End of Evangelion was one of the most unique visual and story experiences I've ever seen NOT just in anime. And the climax of the movie is NOT fighting in the Eva's, but that's all I'll say about it.
greatdevourer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I prefer the series, although if you replace the last 2 eps with EoE, it's brilliant Very Happy

On the subject of Death, can someone explain the string quartet bits to me?
silver_omicron

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:19 pm Reply with quote
greatdevourer wrote:
I prefer the series, although if you replace the last 2 eps with EoE, it's brilliant Very Happy

On the subject of Death, can someone explain the string quartet bits to me?

Again, subject to large interpretation but as far as the quartet is concerned:

I'm marking this as spoilers to be on the safe side. If you've seen the movies you're good, and unless you care about spoiling the identity of the most important angel (and just his identity alone), then you're good also.

spoiler[One could view it as a "thematic device" used to convey the importance of the four characters. Basically, for those of your who are musically unaware: A string quartet consists of a Cello, a Viola, and two Violins, first and second (first plays more melody, second plays more harmony, that is VERY general though). Shinji is Cello, the heart and soul of all things music (especially moreso since a double bass isn't present). In Kanon, it's funny because as Asuka says all he has to do is play arpegios. Wanna make a Cello player angry? Ask them to play Pachelbel's Canon, it's three notes repeated over and over. That's basically a summary of Shinji's story. Repetitive questions and three key figures (you could even view the notes as the girls. Or perhaps as the struggle between the Id, Ego, Superego. Or Eva vs Angel vs People. The list goes on).

Asuka is 2nd violin, which is ironic because she would not be one to settle for second violin (again, no one is saying 2nd is worse, it's just one of those taboo yet understood concepts of music: 1st violinists are just "better", but still don't exactly think that). I can't really see how ties to being a second violinist, there maybe more to the solo she plays (Gavotte I think) but I can't tell beyond that.

Rei's is pretty obvious, Violists are usually discreet, quiet, and the smallest section of the orchestra. On the surface, they appear to have the smallest role to play but if you take them away there is a noticeable difference. I'm pretty sure a viola is the only one in an orchestra/quartet who plays in their own cleff, but don't cite me on it. That could also tie in to her uniqueness. A viola has the same strings as a cello, thus showing her ties to Shinji.

Now, Kaworu (sorry about spelling here). Lord only knows why Gainax decided to throw him into the mix. First violinists are the head to all music ensembles, before conductors there was concertmasters who were actually the principal first violinist of an orchestra. I can't imagine why Kaworu is that important, one could see him as the male component to Rei but apart from that I can't think of anything else. He is the coolest (in demeanor I meant, laid back) and probably the closest thing to perfection in terms of being human so maybe that's why he was chosen. I think there's alot of meaning behind his line "sorry i'm late" but we'll save that for another day. ]
d.yaro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm...I'll take a stab at this one...

From my perspective, I'd recommend the TV series as the better viewing experience. I'd also recommend taking your time watching it. Remember, the original Japanese TV audience saw it one episode per week, not a single marathon sitting going through the whole thing in less than a week. Also, having watched the series more than three years before watching the movies I'd say the viewing experience from watching the series has lasted with me longer. I would be hard pressed to recall details from the movies other than the tone of Asuka's voice in the final spoken line in one of them. Someone mentioned the string quartet mechanism/structure in the "Death" movie. All I can say about it is that it had some part in defining the structure of the film but I don't remember how or why. Can't expect one to recommend something they don't remember much of eh?
Fullmetal Donut

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Just a word to the wise:

DO NOT WATCH NGE ENTIRELY IN A SINGLE SITTING! YOU WILL REGRET IT!

Seriously, Eva is one of those complete mind fucks that are hazardous in large doses... Not unlike taking illicit drugs. Watch the series but pace yourself because you're in for a rollercoaster of teen angst, depression and cruel, cruel people whom you just want to choke.

Take in only one episode a day to avoid self loathing and suicidal tendencies. Do NOT watch Eva if you already suffer from these conditions. Inform your Doctor or Psychiatrist IMMEDIATELY if you experience any of these symptons during or after watching Eva.

PRX Doctor Fullmetal Donut[/b]
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:11 pm Reply with quote
You know, as extreme as your post sounds, I'd have to agree with you. Eva captivated me to the point where I watched it within a few days, and even further to where I ran around town the day after finishing it searching for End of Evangelion and then watched that later on that same day (picked it up before class). And let me tell you, it put me in the weirdest mood for the rest of the day after that. No matter how I tried, I just could not shake the experience from myself for the rest of that day! However, it is because of this experience that Evangelion is one of my favorite animes... go figure Razz

But yeah, do try and take it in small doses.
greatdevourer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:40 am Reply with quote
Fullmetal Donut wrote:
Just a word to the wise:

DO NOT WATCH NGE ENTIRELY IN A SINGLE SITTING! YOU WILL REGRET IT!

Seriously, Eva is one of those complete mind fucks that are hazardous in large doses... Not unlike taking illicit drugs. Watch the series but pace yourself because you're in for a rollercoaster of teen angst, depression and cruel, cruel people whom you just want to choke.

Take in only one episode a day to avoid self loathing and suicidal tendencies. Do NOT watch Eva if you already suffer from these conditions. Inform your Doctor or Psychiatrist IMMEDIATELY if you experience any of these symptons during or after watching Eva.

PRX Doctor Fullmetal Donut[/b]
Oops... *watched the entire series and both the movies in a solid run one day* Embarassed
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:26 am Reply with quote
silver_omicron wrote:

Asuka is 2nd violin, which is ironic because she would not be one to settle for second violin (again, no one is saying 2nd is worse, it's just one of those taboo yet understood concepts of music: 1st violinists are just "better", but still don't exactly think that). I can't really see how ties to being a second violinist, there maybe more to the solo she plays (Gavotte I think) but I can't tell beyond that.[/spoiler]
This is pretty true--I played second violin in high school, and like me, most of the people in the section played violin for the heck of it, while the first violinists were people who actually practiced and/or took private lessons. In general, second violin parts are less glamorous than first violin parts--1st violins will have fancy/promminent melodies, while 2nd violins will be sawing away on repeated eighth notes.

silver_omicron wrote:
spoiler[Rei's is pretty obvious, Violists are usually discreet, quiet, and the smallest section of the orchestra. On the surface, they appear to have the smallest role to play but if you take them away there is a noticeable difference. I'm pretty sure a viola is the only one in an orchestra/quartet who plays in their own clef, but don't cite me on it. That could also tie in to her uniqueness. A viola has the same strings as a cello, thus showing her ties to Shinji. ]

True, the viola uses the alto clef: , and I don't know of any other instrument, string or otherwise, that uses the same clef.

the Rancorous wrote:
I'd tell you to watch the series up through episode 24, then watch End of Evangelion. End of Evangelion was one of the most unique visual and story experiences I've ever seen NOT just in anime. And the climax of the movie is NOT fighting in the Eva's, but that's all I'll say about it.
I think End of Eva is a great movie too, but I still recommend watching TV 25-26, if for no other reason than to understand what the controversy is all about. Imo, those 2 episodes are a valid ending, since spoiler[Evangelion wasn't really about giant robots and climactic battles in the first place; it was about Shinji's teen angst and psychological issues, and that's what TV 25-26 resolves.] So, if you want the most complete EVA experience possible, watch all of the TV series & the movies. (Hmm, I still need to watch Death & Rebirth, though...)
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Eva is noteworthy for three reasons, in ascending order:

1. It upgraded the mecha genre, applying deliberate Jungianism to a genre that already had a Jungian element anyway. I'm not particularly interested in mecha, but it's interesting to see how people can make use of a genre for purposes other than "scratching the genre itch" or spoofing.

2. It was a labor of love, which automatically makes it more interesting than the manufactured product that makes up most anime.

3. Most significantly, it downloaded the concerns and techniques of New Wave filmmakers like Jean-Luc Godard and Alain Resnais into popular anime, paving the way for shows such as Lain, Utena and FLCL, which I hope will merely be prologue. Thematic and aesthetic richness are more interesting than the kind of arithmatic plot resolution that Eva ultimately abandoned.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:12 am Reply with quote
IMO, Death and Rebirth is pretty pointless. Death is just a summary of the series with a bit of new diaologue, and Rebirth is just the first 40 minutes of EoE, seriously, it just ends right when spoiler[the rest of the eva series is circling over Asuka] Its really not needed.

And I still disagree that ep. 25 and 26 are an adequate ending. As I said before, Eva built itself up for a climatic confrontation and then just left all of that behind as if it were never a part of the story in the first place. Yes it concluded Shinji's story, but that just could not make up for the amount of loose ends it left. But... this topic looks as if it is one of those neverending debates, so I guess its better left at "to each their own." Wink
greatdevourer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:48 am Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
And I still disagree that ep. 25 and 26 are an adequate ending. As I said before, Eva built itself up for a climatic confrontation and then just left all of that behind as if it were never a part of the story in the first place. Yes it concluded Shinji's story, but that just could not make up for the amount of loose ends it left. But... this topic looks as if it is one of those neverending debates, so I guess its better left at "to each their own." Wink
The thing is that the majority of 25 and 26 are squeezed into about 5mins of EoE, so it's still there, it's just set to the back
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:51 am Reply with quote
Ok, so I've finished watching the TV show .... I'm planning on moving on to the movies (or atleast EoE). I go to Greencine, go to put it in my cue, and recognize that I can also watch the "director's cuts" of the TV show's last 6 eps as well, or instead of, the movies. Any thoughts on this? What's the difference between the director's cuts and the original final 6 eps? Is it essentially still the same telling of the story as the TV show? or does it include stuff from the movies?? Con-fu-sing!! Looking for some input from those more well-versed in Eva-dom.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2