• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Magazines

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isaacada1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 2:34 am Reply with quote
What are people's thoughts on the anime magazines that are currently for purchase in North America? Are you subscribed to more then one of them?

Animerica
Anime Insider(formerly Anime Invasion)
Anime Play
Beckett Anime Collector
Newtype USA
Protoculture Addicts

I'm curious if we'll see any other players enter the market for anime/manga, such as an english version of Animage or Animedia.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Case

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Animerica
Anime Insider(formerly Anime Invasion)

Haven't picked either one of these up for a while. There just hasn't been anything that's caught my eye recently, I guess. (Last issues I have are the June Animerica, mainly for the Animatrix stuff, and the February issue of Invasion.)

They're both on the magazine rack at Suncoast, so I often pick them up and thumb through them when I stop by there... But if I don't see anything in them that I find unique and interesting, I don't bother spending my money. I guess, I feel like I get most of what they have to offer through my internet wanderings and other sources nowadays. I think the appearance Newtype has work out some of their appeal, too. I definitely haven't bought as many since its debut as I did beforehand.

Quote:
Anime Play

Haven't seen it yet, though I caught the news about it a while back and got kind of excited because of the DVD angle. Guess I kinda forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me.
Very Happy

Quote:
Beckett Anime Collector

Never really looked at it, I guess. Isn't it mostly a price guide for YuGiOh and so forth? That's not really my bag. :-\

Quote:
Newtype USA

My favorite publication, at the moment. I have every issue so far (except the AnimeExpo preview) though I've been picking it up at the newsstand rather than signing on for a subscription. I love the preview DVDs to death, even went out and got them their own little CD case to keep them all accessible and organized, but the editorial content as of late seems to be getting a little stale... I dunno, maybe the newness is just wearing off. But it seems to me that there was a whole lot more to read in the first couple of issues. Like, for example, the ill-fated For The Barrel serial novel...
(R.I.P. Very Happy )

I guess that's sort of the reason why I haven't subscribed. As long as the sampler DVDs continue to contain new and exciting material, though, I will probably continue to buy it.

Quote:
Protoculture Addicts

Heard a lot of talk about it, never gotten a chance to check it out. It's the only one so far that I haven't been able to find in local magazine racks.
Confused
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:45 am Reply with quote
Our own Zac the Answerman writes for Anime Insider, so I want to check it out on that basis, even though I've never liked Wizard publications before. I haven't gotten around to it because it's never in stock by the time I make it to the stores.

Newhype is pretty, but light on substance.

The only ish of Protoculture Addicts I've ever seen was a few years back, and was mostly dopey fan reviews.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:59 am Reply with quote
Rebecca who technically writes Ms. Answerman now is also featured in Anime Insider.

-Z
Yuki555

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:53 am Reply with quote
I'm new to manga and more new to anime magazines. I was thinking about buy Newtype USA though. They have lots of free stuff inside. Very Happy
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Meh... I cancelled my monthly preorder of Animerica at a local bookstore when money became tighter and I noticed I was hardly even reading many issues. And Newtype's just too bloody expensive, and the sort of series that get hyped by Newtype aren't really the sort I'm interested in. So, these days, the only magazine I subscribe to is National Review, though that has nothing to do with anime, and I spend the money I would otherwise be spending on Animerica or Newtype on anime or manga (a paperback volume of most manga series in French as well as Tokyopop titles in English being cheaper than a single issue of Newtype)... I just get my anime news online.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JELEINEN

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 8:40 pm Reply with quote
The best English language anime magazine is Animeco (which I believe is now defunct). It was published quarterly by the Japanese Animation Society of Hawaii. What was cool about it was that it assumed an above basic knowledge of anime from its readers and had some well done, in depth articles on diverse anime related topics. What always annoys me about Animerica and the rest is that they come across like they're talking down to me.

The only magazines I buy now are Newtype (the real one, not the ADV mouth piece) and Animage (the oldest and best anime magazine on the planet). I used to buy the Japanese AX magazine when it was around because it always had lots of Di Gi Charat articles. Dengeki's Animation magazine wasn't bad, but I believe it's gone as well.
Coral Skipper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy Newtype USA and Anime Insider equally. They give you two diffrent things. Newtype USA is a magazine more about what is out in Japan and is more focused on getting us excited about the new titles that have yet to even be licensed yet. Anime Insider is the best anime magazine about the American market, in my opinion. Also as nice as the DVDs and extra length Newtype USA has, well they are plusses, but the price brings it down to Anime Insider's level.
molloaggie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Anime Insider seems to be aimed at the same teeny-bopper crowd as Shonen Jump is. I haven't found it to be very exciting.

I'm also losing some interest in NewType. It's really good but a lot of stuff just isn't coming here RIGHT NOW. I still went out and bought the newest issue today. I haven't given up yet.

I really enjoyed that weekly Raijin but my comic shop stopped carrying it.

Animerica always had game reviews of games that came out three months prior. That was annoying.
Dark Nero

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Out of this magazines (if any) are targerted towards adults only?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:47 am Reply with quote
If you are looking to find magazines that are more geared towards adults, you won't find anything here that's published in English.

If you don't mind importing magazines or going through any Japanese Booksellers, you may be able to find Megami. It's the only one that comes to mind that falls under that category that still focuses on anime.

I'm aware of other magazines out there as well, but they are more geared towards hentai games and whatnot and are probably not what you are looking for.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Case

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:24 pm Reply with quote
isaacada1 wrote:
Anime Play

Finally picked up issue one, yesterday at Suncoast, along with August's Newtype. Very Happy

And I gotta say... it strikes me as the "half-translated fanpage" of American anime mags. It actually covers some pretty interesting material (And, what appears to be little-known domestic DVD releases) that I've never seen or heard of through the other mags and my usual online sources (Soar High Isami anyone? Idol Fighter Su-pai-chi?) But it seems to have some pretty terrible English in places and, maybe the disc just doesn't operate properly on my DVD player, the multimedia seemed to be mostly small clips that you couldn't select to enlarge and watch in its full glory... which I found terribly annoying.

Meah... It was worth one issue, though. It's different.

Oh, and ANN was one of their two recommended websites in issue #1. Y'all guys hear that yet? Very Happy

Now I just need an issue or two of Protoculture Addicts. Do they offer back issue orders? Are there any good back issues that are particularly worth ordering, and paying shipping for?
Confused
LuppyLuptonium

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 8:40 pm Reply with quote
/Newtype rules... I haven't read Animerica for a while, I boy Anime Insider every time it comes out (bi monthly).... There is an anime and games magazine called Play, I read the first issue and never picked up another. I can handle that they have diffrent tastes than me but they insulted anime that I like a bit too much for my tastes, plus their gaming stories read like bad editorials....
animaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:13 pm Reply with quote
newtype Exclamation its kinda like the rolling stone of anime or somthin its great
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pumpkinhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Newtype US.....yeah it is pretty much all of ADV's titles but I still enjoy it simply because they do other articles regarding Japanese culture and I like the fan pages better. But they are...getting kinda boring recently. The August issue is the first one that I enjoyed in awhile.

Animerica...sorry but I"ll always have a soft spot for Animerica because it was the first magazine I ever read on anime.

Anime Insider...all right but it's too much focused on Toonami stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2