• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Guilty Crown Prize Pack Giveaway!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ignatz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Guilty Crown is the worst anime of all noitaminA shows. That is all.

*grabs popcorn*
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Ignatz wrote:
Guilty Crown is the worst anime of all noitaminA shows. That is all.

A dumb action series that ends up more bewildering than Code Geass, but more entertaining and humanizing. I'd rather rewatch it over Robotics Notes, NTR Rendezvous, Tsuritama, C, or Fractale I tell you what.
terminus24

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:36 pm Reply with quote
The plot was a mess, but the visuals and music were so good... They kinda made up for it.
Definitely getting the LE, mainly because I'm an artbook junkie. And Guilty Grown had art.

Last edited by terminus24 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen Guilty Crown, but I'm interested in it mostly because it has such a strong reputation for going off the rails in some way. I've never really heard a good explanation as to what exactly goes wrong, so I don't really have anything to go on, but I'm interested because its reputation is kind of unique: I can't really think of another show that has a similar reputation.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:49 pm Reply with quote
terminus24 wrote:
The plot was a mess, but the visuals and music were so good... They kinda made up for it.
Definitely getting the LE, mainly because I'm an artbook junkie. And Guilty Grown had art.

I will agree that the visuals and music were very good, though I don't know if I'd say they made up for the plot getting as sloppy as it did. But I tend to give less weight to those aspects anyway, so I can't fault anyone for giving this show credit for that much.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
I haven't seen Guilty Crown, but I'm interested in it mostly because it has such a strong reputation for going off the rails in some way. I've never really heard a good explanation as to what exactly goes wrong, so I don't really have anything to go on, but I'm interested because its reputation is kind of unique: I can't really think of another show that has a similar reputation.

Here's an explanation: It is full of plot-holes, and the two main characters (Shu and Inori) are boring as hell. I wouldn't even call them characters, more like plot devices. Shu often completely changes his personality on the fly, and Inori barely talks, yet Shu somehow manages to fall in love with her. Oh, and because of some stupid reasons, Inori comes to live at Shu's house. Talk about wish-fulfillment.

God, that show was so dumb, I can't believe believe it got noitaminA's timeslot for 22 whole episodes. At least crap like Fractale only lasted 11.

Last edited by Ignatz on Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I've been trying to slog through this show and I have not made much progress. This is one of the worst shows that I've ever had the misfortune of seeing. I'm told that it "gets good midway" but I don't know if I can get that far. The plot "twists" have been pretty banal, the writing for both the English and Japanese extremely awkward and the wish fulfillment/fanboy pandering-at-the-expense-of-substance factor has exceeded even that of Sword Art Online and Accel World. I did not think that anything could do that but this has.

I'm noticing more and more give-aways related to this series. I'm guessing that it is so bad that they have to give it away. Whoever conned Funimation into licensing this is probably still in a laughing fit over it.

This is primed to be the Heat Guy J of the decade...though that isn't really fair as Heat Guy got more mocking than it deserved and so far as I've seen Guilty Crown deserves all the mocking that the anime community can throw at it, and then some.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Good luck to ya'll, I guess?
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm noticing more and more give-aways related to this series. I'm guessing that it is so bad that they have to give it away. Whoever conned Funimation into licensing this is probably still in a laughing fit over it.

Yeah the show was super popular with western audiences(according to MAL 127,916 users watched it)and it made money Japan.Gee I wonder why Funimation licensed it? Also you know if Funimation thought it would be unprofitable for them to release the show on DVD and Blu-ray ,then they wouldn't have released it.Remember that Tatami Galaxy anime?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Not to mention Funimation was streaming it awhile it was airing, so yeah.

Screw all the haters, though, I love the show. I had no problem following the plot like some apparently did. Already got the LE box set sitting right in front of me. I'm glad the contest didn't included it because it would suck if I somehow managed to win Laughing
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:31 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

A dumb action series that ends up more bewildering than Code Geass, but more entertaining and humanizing.

I find this statement hilariously wrong, especially the bold part. I suppose that's what different opinions are for.

When the show wasn't being boring, it made me think less of humanity and I couldn't really sympathize with the characters.

But aside from this, I think it's good that they're doing a giveaway for anyone who is interested enough in participating.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:21 pm Reply with quote
At least I was a fan of the visual and music, which are pretty much what the give-away prizes are about.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
terminus24 wrote:

I will agree that the visuals and music were very good, though I don't know if I'd say they made up for the plot getting as sloppy as it did. But I tend to give less weight to those aspects anyway, so I can't fault anyone for giving this show credit for that much.

not as bad as you think. atleast it has a story. Alot of anime doesn't even have any story and worst story.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Wowzers, this anime seems to be more reviled than the second half of Sword Art Online. :0
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:36 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Wowzers, this anime seems to be more reviled than the second half of Sword Art Online. :0
So far as I've seen it, Guilty Crown, has been worse. Much worse.

As others have already mentioned, the fanboy-pandering is off the charts (loser guy given Godly Powers by accident, super-demure pop idol of his dreams attaches herself to him...) and there's nothing redeeming about the plot to compensate for that. Honestly, it doesn't have a plot, just a slew of banalities strung together. I can't say that the lackluster visuals or mundane music do anything for me.

I wonder if the Funimation actors scoffed at the Engrish of the whole "funeral parlor" concept or having to say lines like "You've gotten yourselves into something you can only die your way out of" ( the character who says that doesn't even kill the people to whom he said this cheesy line).

So far I would call this the less-logical, more-pandering inferior knockoff of Chaos;head. I do not believe that Chaos;Head was a great show but it is brilliant when contrasted with this schlock.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2