• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu (TV)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:32 pm Reply with quote
It's really best to start at the beginning of any franchise ultimately, so that would be Full Metal Panic.

Fumofu can be watched by itself but you'll get more of the jokes if you've seen Full Metal Panic first. However, Fumofu is not really necessary to the storyline so one could also just skip it after watching FMP and just watch Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid. The Second Raid, however, is dependant on characters and relationships formed in the first season, I would now recomend watching it without having seen the original 26 episode series.
demonroach

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Err. I thought the whole full metal panic series had the most terrible boring storyline. So when they made this Fomoffu spinoff,...bad action turned into one of the worst comedy spin offs ever created. I mean, this is horribly bad from start to finish. I mean, these guys are strictly capitalizing on the Full Metal Panic brand, which is just good animation put together with horrible storytelling. Yuck.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Animastryfe wrote:
Do I need to first watch Full Metal Panic before watching this? I'm looking for an anime that's more like Fumoffu than the original FMP, and I don't really want to watch the original FMP right now.

I actually watched Fumoffu before FMP, and it was absolutely fine. Ideally you would watch FMP first to establish the characters, because I think Fumoffu might have been an eensy weensy bit funnier had I known Kaname and Sousuke better...but honestly it was hilarious anyway.

My favorite scene remains the part where Sousuke forgets Kaname's notes again, and they take a taxi to his apartment, rushing because they want to get to school on time. spoiler[They come back and the taxi is gone. Kaname asks Sousuke if he told the taxi driver to wait. Sousuke replies, "yes, i was very clear. i waved my gun and said--"] The way Sousuke's english VA delivered the line, I just laughed so hard.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:13 pm Reply with quote
demonroach wrote:
I mean, these guys are strictly capitalizing on the Full Metal Panic brand, which is just good animation put together with horrible storytelling. Yuck.

What? Seriously, what? Do you understand pretty much all of the stories comes from a series of light novels and therefore Fumoffu is not "capitalizing" on the brand except to animate more story that wasn't animated before it came to be?
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:02 am Reply with quote
demonroach wrote:
So when they made this Fomoffu spinoff,...bad action turned into one of the worst comedy spin offs ever created. I mean, this is horribly bad from start to finish.

Would you care to elaborate on what was so horribly bad about it? Yours is such a rare type of reaction to Fumoffu that I really am curious to hear you explain this, as even most people I've talked to who didn't care much for the first FMP series still liked Fumoffu. I laughed out loud at that series probably as much as I have at any series put out the past few years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:56 am Reply with quote
demonroach wrote:
Err. I thought the whole full metal panic series had the most terrible boring storyline. So when they made this Fomoffu spinoff,...bad action turned into one of the worst comedy spin offs ever created. I mean, this is horribly bad from start to finish. I mean, these guys are strictly capitalizing on the Full Metal Panic brand, which is just good animation put together with horrible storytelling. Yuck.

As had been said before Fumoffu and the rest of FMP are based on light novles.

Volumes that are considered part of the main plot are; 1, 3, 6, 8, 9, 12, 15, 17 & 19. (Vols 8 and 9 being episodes 5-13 of The Second Raid)

Volumes that are considered side stories are; 2, 4, 5, 7, 10, 11, 13, 14, 16 & 18.

I would expect KyoAni could make a 39 episode series (or at the very least a very tightly paced 24/26 ep series) to finish off the main series as well as produce 2 more fumoffu length series full of side stories.
demonroach

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Well, as long as people like it I'm should they would make as much of it as possible.
Nomeru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I just watched this a couple days ago for the first time (and I watched the second raid yesterday), and it was great. My favorate part has to be the last episode. that was just the best... ever. Sousuke brings in a canaster of an unidentified nerve agent, that gets spilled in the classroom. spoiler[the nerve agent turned out to be experimental and it will desolve your clothes, which by the time it had activated, it had already spread among the whole school, or so it would seem.] Oh, that was great.

I really hope they bring back some more fumoffu-type stuff, sence they appear to have the material for it. (not to mention continuing the main story, which I also love, the second raid was just great in my opinion)

You know, I watched the second raid ova last night, which was captain testerosa's day off, and that was great too. She got drunk the night before and she had to piece together what happened. In all, it was as good as anything from fumoffu, if not better. Probably my favorate comedic part in the whole series at this point.
Clodus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Westlo, thats really encouraging that theres so much material left to be animated. it has high hopes of being made well done since its gonna be by kyoto animation as well. man im hyped up!
Having seen the 3 series, i liked fumoffu the best because it kept me laughing the entire time which is rare for me since at the most i usually get a few laughs and smiles from shows.
Nomeru wrote:

You know, I watched the second raid ova last night, which was captain testerosa's day off, and that was great too. She got drunk the night before and she had to piece together what happened. In all, it was as good as anything from fumoffu, if not better. Probably my favorate comedic part in the whole series at this point.

The most hilarious part of the ova for me was when spoiler[Kurtz replaced the intimate anime scene with pigs kissing!] i laughed so hard i had to pause it to recover before i could finish the ova. that scene was so funny
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:14 am Reply with quote
I really missed the supporting cast in Fumoffu and found the Tessa episodes by far the best from the second series. I actually enjoy watching the comedy antics of Kurz and Sousuke with Mao yelling and them over the high school stuff.

Overall the rather cute comedy of the bonus episode of TSR worked better for me than the over the top antics of Fumoffu. I think this is in part from the fact that the over the top antics go at odds with the more realistic moments. I find myself thinking "How can someone die from an explosion when they just recently blew up in that comedic moment?" which is something that I find annoying in many otherwise excellent shonen shows like Fullmetal Alchemist or Tenchi.
Truered

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:52 am Reply with quote
I saw half of the first episode at one of my first anime society meetings at university- the OTTness caused me to go out and buy the first DVD. I sat and watched it in one go, really enjoying it, having only seen a few episodes of FMP (which I'm going to watch soon).

I've picked up volumes 3 and 4 as well but volume 2 is never in stock at HMV, so I'm going to have to buy it at full price Evil or Very Mad Razz

So when I return back to University I'll get volume 2 and watch the whole series, as it's nice to have some crazy every now and again.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I find Full Metal Panics comedy more enjoyable than the drama. I'd like to see another Fumoffu type season in the future. My favorite episodes were the ones with Tessa, especially the one with Kurtz in it!
krazywrath

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I love Full Metal Panic! Fumoffu was especially funny! So this post really brings back memories. It is REALLy hilarious how Souske never fits into society!
I also wish that FMP would continue!
sykosteve

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:18 am Reply with quote
I think one of my favorite scenes in the whole series has to be when Kaname is cutting Sousuke's hair. His ability to relax and be comfortable and just totally forget all 'dangers' he perceives was done very well in that episode. sigh...I guess the only way i'm ever going to see some real kaname/sousuke action is by reading a fan fic isn't it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
urzu_7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:31 am Reply with quote
sykosteve wrote:
I think one of my favorite scenes in the whole series has to be when Kaname is cutting Sousuke's hair. His ability to relax and be comfortable and just totally forget all 'dangers' he perceives was done very well in that episode. sigh...I guess the only way i'm ever going to see some real kaname/sousuke action is by reading a fan fic isn't it?

well you should watch the fumoffu episode when spoiler[all the school clubs compete for a room by having a girl hunt, I thought the end with sousuke and kaname. Not really action but it was...sweet]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5