• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:07 am Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
I'm surprised that no one posted about the release of Haruhi Vol 3.

Probably because people like me, who got R3 volume 7 (8th) last week, have no interest in R1 volume 3.

This final DVD contains a single episode 9/14 (Someday in the Rain) was sold at the same price of earlier volumes (2 episodes per disc), setting the new record of price per minute.

Zalis116 wrote:
But at least episodes 12 and 13 on disc 4 should be much more amusing, before concluding the DVD run with...that boring episode 9/14.

To me it's the most "realistic" episode: you just can't have so many "interesting incidents" happening around you every other day like Conan (with 400+ episodes and 11 movies, yet no one bothers to age a bit). It provided something hard to be presented in the form of novel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:07 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
But at least episodes 12 and 13 on disc 4 should be much more amusing, before concluding the DVD run with...that boring episode 9/14.

To me it's the most "realistic" episode: you just can't have so many "interesting incidents" happening around you every other day like Conan.

Episodes 12 and 13 (Live Alive and Day of Sagittarius) are easily my favorite episodes of the entire series. They simply are monuments to the awesomeness that is Haruhi and Nagato... (Slight exaggeration, maybe.. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop)

Realistic it is, but it can't be denied that 14 IS an epically boring episode... But I loved it. It works better in chronological order, since it properly provides an anticlimactic ending to the show (especially effective after the 'monuments to awesomeness' 12 and 13), while in broadcast order, it's 'a surprisingly boring episode in the middle of a very nice show, now get on with the Melancholy episodes!'. I think that it's the only episode of the series that gained a lot from the chronological ordering.

Anyway, the Suzumiya Haruhi no Gekisou concert DVD was released in Japan a while back, right? Videos of the performances have been floating around YouTube for a while now. Probably, most who care for it would simply have it imported over, but does anyone want to see this licensed? Though, I figure that the odds of this thing being licensed probably ranges from 'bad' to 'it'll get licensed when the world is invaded by evil bovine aliens.' For the record, I'd like to see it licensed, just so I can understand what they're saying in the first part and the intermissions... Anime hyper
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:11 pm Reply with quote
kizzmequik_74 wrote:
Episodes 12 and 13 (Live Alive and Day of Sagittarius) are easily my favorite episodes of the entire series. They simply are monuments to the awesomeness that is Haruhi and Nagato... (Slight exaggeration, maybe.. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop)

Not exaggerating at all. I can say that Live Alive was easily the most memorable anime episode in 2006. Period. It also gave Aya Hirano her status today.

kizzmequik_74 wrote:
Probably, most who care for it would simply have it imported over, but does anyone want to see this licensed?

I've heard the vocals were quite awful, for those girls didn't have enough training in live concert singing, something requires a lot of physical strength. However, to fans the atmosphere was more important than the quality of singing itself.

kizzmequik_74 wrote:
Though, I figure that the odds of this thing being licensed probably ranges from 'bad' to 'it'll get licensed when the world is invaded by evil bovine aliens.'

You played too much Diablo II or something? Laughing

kizzmequik_74 wrote:
For the record, I'd like to see it licensed, just so I can understand what they're saying in the first part and the intermissions... Anime hyper

Well, no one would ever say "I'd like to see it never get licensed." To licensing companies, it's more important if the licensed product can bring more money from fans. Wink And speaking of Minoru Shiraishi's intermission... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:06 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
I've heard the vocals were quite awful, for those girls didn't have enough training in live concert singing, something requires a lot of physical strength. However, to fans the atmosphere was more important than the quality of singing itself.

Well, yeah, the vocals were pretty bad overall, and by the end of it, Aya Hirano's voice was at its absolute limit. A bit excusable, since she sang the most songs, after all. I think that easily the best performances overall were Minori Chihara's Yuki, Muon, Madobe Nite, and Tomokazu Sugita's Kentai Life Returns. And yeah, you're right, the atmosphere is precisely what the fans pay for, and it simply seems awesome there, if a bit muted compared to most rock shows I've been to.

But then, the audience in MOST Japanese concert vids I've seen are remarkably well-behaved compared to rock shows I've been to (read as: no mosh pit, no mineral water bottles flying in the air, no rocks flying through the air, and no one being hit by said rocks, or fainting and being carried to the medical tent Shocked).

dormcat wrote:
kizzmequik_74 wrote:
Though, I figure that the odds of this thing being licensed probably ranges from 'bad' to 'it'll get licensed when the world is invaded by evil bovine aliens.'

You played too much Diablo II or something? Laughing

Wow, I wasn't even thinking of Diablo when I wrote that down, honest! Laughing

dormcat wrote:
And speaking of Minoru Shiraishi's intermission... Laughing

The one where he's in Haruhi cosplay, and introduces himself as one of the 'three perverts'? Tomokazu Sugita's Quattro Bajina/Char Aznable cosplay was pretty cool too... Fufufufu... Anime hyper
Porcupine

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
After all, in the context of the main story, these episodes are basically filler, and the goal at the end is...that rather boring "Nagato reads a book" episode.

So in the TV-airing, these episodes were broken up and interlaced with the main plot episodes, as you saw in the LE discs. But at least episodes 12 and 13 on disc 4 should be much more amusing, before concluding the DVD run with...that boring episode 9/14.
I think I understand what you are trying to say but to be honest, now that I've seen most of Haruhi, I personally feel that the DVD order is the better order to watch in.

What you say is true, these episodes (Remote Island Syndrome parts 1 and 2, the computer club president episode, and Someday in the Rain) serve as filler in the TV-order broadcasts, so it's expected that they are of a lower quality. But, the problem is that these four boring episodes aren't broken up in the TV airing. They show in consecutive order right after each other. At least in the DVD ordering, "Someday in the Rain" is broken up and put (perhaps boringly) at the end. Although I might change my mind after I see the remaining two episodes. If they are boring too, then I would agree the DVD order is worse since 6 back-to-back boring episodes could be a killer. (BTW, I didn't consider Episode 00 and the baseball episode to be boring. Even though they were standalone stories, the production quality was top-notch in them so they held my interest).

Had I been watching in this order for the first time on Japanese TV, I'm not sure I would have survived the stretch of 4 boring, lower-quality episodes. I might have been tempted to say "Crud, Haruhi is getting into random standalone do-nothing episodes" and stopped watching after the 4th one. With the DVD ordering, at least I got to see 8 well-made episodes to start out with, enough to truly appreciate the quality of the series. In the DVD order these filler eps do feel more like a letdown though, while in the TV order one's hopes might not be so high at that point in the series.

Anyways, I do look forward to Episode 12/12 at the very least. Since Tsuruya appears to be in it. Smile
kizzmequik_74 wrote:
Anyway, the Suzumiya Haruhi no Gekisou concert DVD was released in Japan a while back, right? Videos of the performances have been floating around YouTube for a while now. Probably, most who care for it would simply have it imported over, but does anyone want to see this licensed?
I don't know what this is. Is this good? I'd only want to see this if it was animated/drawn. I hate seeing "live" stuff with real-life people whether they be the voice actors or whoever. I realize this will be insulting to some, but I just can't understand why anyone would want to see "live" things such as the nasty ASOS Brigade or SOS Brigade extras on the United States domestic Haruhi DVDs. I apologize sincerely to those who I've just offended with that comment. But I really do feel that way and I just wanted to get my point of view across.

Last edited by Porcupine on Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:52 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
kizzmequik_74 wrote:

Not exaggerating at all. I can say that Live Alive was easily the most memorable anime episode in 2006. Period. It also gave Aya Hirano her status today.

Yes, I loved that episode. "Live Alive" and "Someday in the Rain" are my two favorites, but I also love "Day of Sagittarius." There was something about episode 9/14 that was just incredibly appealing to me, and thus, it has become my favorite, topping even 12/12. Aya Hirano is so talented. <3

I'm not sure what order I prefer the episodes (TV vs. DVD), but I don't really think it matters all that much. It was more fun to watch the episodes out of order.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
I don't know what this is. Is this good? I'd only want to see this if it was animated/drawn.

This is the DVD of the Gekisou event/concert that was held last March. It's a big thank-you session by the cast and staff, with live performances of the OP/ED themes, insert songs, and various image songs by the voice actors. It starts with Yuko Goto doing Koi no Mikuru Densetsu while in character (read as: singing very badly), and moving on to performances from most of the main cast with the exception of Sayaka Aoki and Yuri Shiratori, and concluding with lip-synched dance performances of Welcome UNKNOWN and Hare Hare Yukai. So, yes, it's a live event, and therefore, yes, you probably won't like it.

Porcupine wrote:
I hate seeing "live" stuff with real-life people whether they be the voice actors or whoever. I realize this will be insulting to some, but I just can't understand why anyone would want to see "live" things such as the nasty ASOS Brigade or SOS Brigade extras on the United States domestic Haruhi DVDs. I apologize sincerely to those who I've just offended with that comment. But I really do feel that way and I just wanted to get my point of view across.

Fufu, no harm done, I suppose. I always figured that wanting to see live performances of the voice actors is indicative of one's obsession with a specific series. Or, more nastily, how far one goes in the 'loser fanboy' scale... Admittedly, I sit towards the deep end of that scale, I suppose.. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:02 am Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
I don't know what this is. Is this good?

Apparently you neither follow this thread closely nor know how to use forum search function. Here's the original post.

Porcupine wrote:
I'd only want to see this if it was animated/drawn. I hate seeing "live" stuff with real-life people whether they be the voice actors or whoever. I realize this will be insulting to some, but I just can't understand why anyone would want to see "live" things such as the nasty ASOS Brigade or SOS Brigade extras on the United States domestic Haruhi DVDs.

I'm not offended if you don't like to see seiyū in real person; in fact, I doubt if you realized the difference between having a live concert from seiyū of your favorite show and a bunch of cosplayers trying to recreate scenes in anime.

On the other hand, I'm quite annoyed that you kept talking "US domestic" left and right.
Zero89

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:34 am Reply with quote
Anyone heard anything about the second season? I know they were talking about it sometime around the next few months...

But I have to disagree with the filler comment... While the later episodes don't have the climactic resolution, you get to see the evolution of Kyon X Haruhi's reltionship, as well as Haruhi's development as a person in general...

AND DID I MENTION EPISODE 12 IS AWESOME!!!! how can you call that filler?
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:49 am Reply with quote
Zero89 wrote:
But I have to disagree with the filler comment... While the later episodes don't have the climactic resolution, you get to see the evolution of Kyon X Haruhi's reltionship, as well as Haruhi's development as a person in general...

AND DID I MENTION EPISODE 12 IS AWESOME!!!! how can you call that filler?

Well, I think we're all agreed that Live Alive easily ranks as one of the most awesome single episodes in the history of anime. Also, the 'filler episodes are arguably not exactly filler, for the reasons mentioned above. However, in the context of the first season, especially in broadcast order, all of those episodes ARE filler, seeing as the 'main' story, such as they were , of that season were the six Melancholy episodes (the adaptation of the first novel).

Zero89 wrote:
Anyone heard anything about the second season? I know they were talking about it sometime around the next few months...

I haven't really heard much lately, so the rumors of a winter or spring 2008 airing as discussed here are still probably the best guess anyone can have. Practically the only thing known for sure is that the second season was announced in a newspaper (?) advert in July, and that it was announced in the August Newtype. KyoAni is doing Clannad next season, which, if they follow a spring release for Haruhi 2, makes it the third straight year that they followed up an adaptation of a Key visual novel with a more otaku-oriented series. I'm really betting on a spring airing, though.
Zero89

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:51 am Reply with quote
kizzmequik_74 wrote:

Well, I think we're all agreed that Live Alive easily ranks as one of the most awesome single episodes in the history of anime. Also, the 'filler episodes are arguably not exactly filler, for the reasons mentioned above. However, in the context of the first season, especially in broadcast order, all of those episodes ARE filler, seeing as the 'main' story, such as they were , of that season were the six Melancholy episodes (the adaptation of the first novel).

I realize that... my definition of filler is just different than yours, I guess... If the episodes have any bearing on the development of the story, whether it be storyline/plot, or characters, then I don't view them as "fillers" since they are a necessary part of the show...

kizzmequik_74 wrote:

I haven't really heard much lately, so the rumors of a winter or spring 2008 airing as discussed here are still probably the best guess anyone can have. Practically the only thing known for sure is that the second season was announced in a newspaper (?) advert in July, and that it was announced in the August Newtype. KyoAni is doing Clannad next season, which, if they follow a spring release for Haruhi 2, makes it the third straight year that they followed up an adaptation of a Key visual novel with a more otaku-oriented series. I'm really betting on a spring airing, though.

Cool, so there's still nothing concrete... Confused Oh well, clannad actually looks pretty good...

Oh and btw, thanks.
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:14 am Reply with quote
Zero89 wrote:
I realize that... my definition of filler is just different than yours, I guess... If the episodes have any bearing on the development of the story, whether it be storyline/plot, or characters, then I don't view them as "fillers" since they are a necessary part of the show...

Ah, true that. From your definition, those episodes really aren't filler, and I agree. A lot of character development did occur in those episodes... And I'd assume that all of that development will figure a lot in the second season, basing on what I've read about the later novels.

I'll have to amend my statement as 'those episodes were USED AS filler in broadcast order'. The... 'filler-ness', as it were, all but disappears when viewed chronological order, though I'm still a bit... miffed by the lack of Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody in the first season, mainly because it'll be somewhat of a pain to sort all of the episodes of both seasons in chronological order if they animate that story later (and I do hope that it does get animated) Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:

I was kind of disappointed by the pillow case though. It was made to pretty shoddy quality and on mine, the red from Haruhi's mouth just bled all over her face and it looks like someone punched her in the mouth and dirtied up her face. :)

I didn't see anything wrong with mine, maybe I got lucky.

Though I get the feeling that a lot of the colour will probably leech out the first time I wash it, even if I turn it inside-out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:36 pm Reply with quote
There are some rumors floating around saying that Aya Hirano is suffering from depression and might not reprise her role in the second TV series. Personally I don't think this rumor is believable in any way. Rolling Eyes
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Really? There are those kinds of rumors floating around about her? Seems like the nature of show business is one of the few constants of the human condition, huh? Confused

But then, if she didn't reprise her role, well, I'D be the one to go into depression. Anime cry Ah, well, odds are that it's just showbiz intrigue, right?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 135 of 213