• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaZ616

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:26 am Reply with quote
Hahaha, just finished watching ep 11. what can i say?...it was fantastic and very funny!

i found Mikuru's remarks to be the funniest as well as spoiler[when nagato was swaying her wireless mouse around. ]

The CG animation was great in the spoiler[space battle] however i noticed that the characters looked abit different from previous eps. espically Nagato.

-DaZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:40 am Reply with quote
crazydumbek wrote:
Does anyone know the meaning the hiragana (heno heono mohe?) in the faces Koizumi's crew?

Yes, I do... and it's henohenomoheji.

There's a reference to this traditional figure in the novels, btw, in chapter 7 of volume 1. However, it's used to describe Haruhi's face, locked in a grimace of angry boredom.

Tanigawa Nagaru (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu, ch. 7 p. 256) wrote:
ハルヒは口を見事なへの字にした。まるでマンガのキャラクターみたいに。

Some translator I can't mention by name wrote:
"Haruhi's mouth was perfectly like a heno-ji. She looked like a comic book character."

I can only surmise that this use in the anime of the heno-ji is the animators' way of giving a nod to this scene in the book.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Arcanite Champion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Hahahahaha! I LOVE that show! It's definitely one of favorites. All the wierd, random stuff that happens, the way Haruhi just walks all over anyone and especially the first episode. Cracks me up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I had to play a bit of catch up, so in a way it was very fortunate to watch episodes 10 and 11 back to back. I thought both were great.

I skimmed through the ep. 10 comments and I really don't have much to add except for the fact that Nagato could probably hold her own against some of the most popular shounen heroes out there. I found (just in case) spoiler[older Mikuru very interesting (she was much more forward, yet at the same time she was still Mikuru). And while it's probably the last time we see her I hope not. However, I have the feeling that the mere fact that she made an appearance to Kyon and referenced her mole could in itself have an impact on the future which may allow for Kyon and Mikuru to develop something. As far as the analyzing of the Snow White story I can't really tell how that will come into play (not too great at things like that). Only thing I can tell is that it will bring Kyon and Mikuru closer to one another (hence older Mikuru wanting to see him).]

Episode 11 was just fun. I was glad to see that little blackmail scandal come back round. I thought the use of placing the characters in actual space combat mixed with them playing the game on the computer was very imaginitive. I have to wonder if the writers wrote the episodes in the "correct" order and then went back and shuffled them around. I would imagine so because this is a series where you have to pay attention to detail, even little bits that don't seem significant (i.e. Nagato's glasses). If these episodes weren't written in order I would imagine there being a continuty issue here and thee. But fortunatley that is not the case and the result is a brilliant show.

Also maybe it's just me, but are the episode previews getting a little crazy with mecha references? The preview for episode 11 ends with Haruhi saying "Ready? Go!" which I believe is a G Gundam reference. And then for the preview of episode 12 Haruhi says "Listen to my song!" I just started on Macross 7 and that appears to be Basara's favorite phrase. Maybe I'm drawing too odd of a connection but that just jumped out at me.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I could easily fall in love with Nagato Yuki, were I at all the type of person to fall in love with fictive characters. Let any doubts that she has a personality and a sense of humour be laid to rest with episode 11.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Boy, reading all these posts about Gundam references makes me kind of sad that I haven't watched any Gundam, since I would have understood those lines better. Still, lines like "Long live the computer society!" have a "taken from somewhere else" feeling even if you don't know from where. In a similar vein to the "Super-Size-Me" line from #10, we get another translation tweaked for an Americanism, Kyon's "No, but my danger sense is tingling." #11 was breathtaking with all the CG space fights, and I loved hearing Mikuru-chan struggle to spit out lines about electromagnetic graviton torpedoes or whatever. It was also shocking, since the preview didn't give any indication of space battles or anything. Of course, I should have known not to trust any previews in this series; after all, in #11, Haruhi even declares, "Previews are worthless!" Laughing
TAKAVAR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:31 am Reply with quote
best moment in ep 11 was

spoiler[Haruhi's kick to the computer club's president, Best Animated Kick, it was completely unexpected]

I also like how the computer that is being used is real. like how spoiler[pictures of mikuru] were still in recyle bin, or spoiler[computer's club game] didn't run on full screen like how a more professional program would.
Mylene

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:32 am Reply with quote
TAKAVAR wrote:
best moment in ep 11 was

spoiler[Haruhi's kick to the computer club's president, Best Animated Kick, it was completely unexpected].

Sort of like the way in episode two that she spoiler[grabbed Kyon and slammed his head against the desk. So fluid, so painful looking (I usually don't cringe when someone gets comically hurt in an anime, but that was realistic looking and sounding), and completely unexpected as well.]

Yes, I know...spoiler block for episode two...Meh, better safe than sorry, I guess.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:08 am Reply with quote
Just watched Episode 11, and I really liked the spoiler[frequent switching between exaggerated "epic" mode and the real life 8-bit NES MIDI mode. Made me get really into it several times, only to realize they were playing a really cheap game produced by a club next door.]

Possibly an uncommon opinion, but I spoiler[in a way, wanted the SOS-Dan to lose the match, for the same reasons Kyon did at first. Haruhi always gets whatever she wants whenever she wants, and it just feeds her ego more and more. Doing so may "reset" the world, but Haruhi needs to learn a lesson. Maybe she'd be more compassionate toward her club members after being forced to hang out with the Computer Society for a while.]

About Yuki - spoiler[I caught a subtle personality in her from this episode, but I didn't find any humor from her at all.]
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:33 pm Reply with quote
TAKAVAR wrote:
I also like how the computer that is being used is real. like how spoiler[pictures of mikuru] were still in recyle bin

No, they're not. spoiler[They're in a folder titled "MIKURU". Kyon was fast, creating the folder and moving them from the recycle bin in a flash, while Haruhi's back was turned. And they're still there when... no, nevermind.]

By the way, the game is a clear hommage to the classic Japanese game series 銀河英雄伝説 (Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu, "Legend of Galactic Heroes"). Here's a screenshot from the series' sixth installment:

I'm sure the similarities are evident to everyone.

- abunai
one3rd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I was kind of wondering if it was a LOGH reference, but the ships seemed too oddly shaped. I didn't know about that game though.
crazydumbek

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:03 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

Yes, I do... and it's henohenomoheji.

- abunai

Thank you. I think I remember seeing this in Narto as well, but I guess I forgot.

BTW. I really liked the way how Nagato spoiler[learned how to use the keyboard during the practice rounds, especially after her initial difficulty with a mouse ]. It really added a lot to her coolness.

My favorite moment is still in the first episode. Gonna put spoler tags her for the heck of it...spoiler[Magical girl Mikuru pulling out two pistols to attack and eventually getting the beat down from Nagato is still the funniest moment in the show. Number two would be Mikuru in a bunny suit firing the toy assault rifle ]
SoljaFeJah

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:03 am Reply with quote
WOW. I really enjoy this show. I haven't enjoyed a show this much in a long time. Really funny. I think Haruhi Suzumiya is a great character, a girl who is oddly different from everyone elese.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:35 am Reply with quote
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
Kyon holds his stones like a beginner.

Not only that but he places them like a beginner too. Normally in go you spread out your stones at the beginning of the game to gain a strategic advantage. Getting locked in a tactical battle is really the mark of a newbie. hmmm, two strategy games in one episode? Can't be a coincidence...

The style and scale of those space battles definitely reminded me of Legend of the Galactic Heroes. I mean, 5 fleets of 15,000 spindle-like ships, battling it out with pincer and flanking maneuvers? Typical LoGH stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:43 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
Kyon holds his stones like a beginner.

Not only that but he places them like a beginner too. Normally in go you spread out your stones at the beginning of the game to gain a strategic advantage. Getting locked in a tactical battle is really the mark of a newbie. hmmm, two strategy games in one episode? Can't be a coincidence...

Actually, they're playing Five-in-a-Row. The stone placement focuses the action entirely on the center of the board, and a good look at the board shows the heated battle to get that last connected stone. I'd say it would've been more appropriate for them to be playing Go, with the whole "Go before battle" saying.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 25 of 213