• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:12 am Reply with quote
Zero89 wrote:
right... so sentences like I were waiting for such long time is a bad translation just because we already have a preconcieved perception that the translations will be bad.... keep in mind I have only seen translations this bad a couple of times, but I have never seen a translation that has massacred the english language this bad in fansubs, maybe I don't watch enough Laughing not to say I don't make mistakes, but I expect more from a professional, and people don't create misconceptions out of thin air...
Just out of curiosity, in which series and episode did you see this? As good as some fansubs are, there are plenty of bad ones out there...at least on DVDs you'll never see something like "These are swords given to // (vague/bad translation) various Shinigami, lower Shinigami, sorry Sad " I've seen other fansubs that are "correct" in terms of translation but have little or no idea how to make sentences that are readable, flowing, or enjoyable in English, not to mention the grammar/spelling problems.
Zero89

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:41 am Reply with quote
It was a bleach (R2 I think) airing at a shop that specializes in games, anime and pretty much everything like that... and yes the translation were really that bad, and they weren't just once in a while... It was bad sentence after bad sentence. There was also a flame of recca one that wasn't quite as bad, but was still far from "normal" english... they said it wasn't a bootleg... and like I said, I've never seen a fansub that bad... I wasn't saying that fansubs that bad weren't out there; only that I personally have never seen such a bad translation in fansubs...

I'm sure there are a lot of decent translations out there, but in my opinion their shouldn't be ANY translations that bad when you get to the professional level... to reiterate: not saying all are bad; just that I personally have had some bad experiences.

Keonyn wrote:

Well, quoting a less common occurence doesn't eliminate the multitude of well done quotes as well. As for fansubs, I haven't seen all that many as I tend to avoid them, but even I've seen my share of poorly done fansubs when it comes to proper english or translation accuracy.

Of course. My point was merely that bad translations have happened... meaning it could happen again...

The dub could be good, but I don't know of anyone who quite fits the part for kyon, and haruhi (the nucleus of the show)...

and getting back to the show:
Is anyone else excited (although a bit sad Crying or Very sad ) to see the ending? It seemed like the whole point of ep. 13 was to set this episode up... I'll be looking forward to the show ending in a bang!
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:12 am Reply with quote
Not to turn this into a fansub debate (as everything seems to be), but here's what I've seen. Fansubs from the bigger groups tend to be quite accurate, often just as accurate as any professional group and they have the wit to translate the subtext (just look at Haruhi, very very good job. I only caught one mistake, not to say there weren't more; that's not the point, the point is that there was only one OBVIOUS mistake).

Proffesional groups on the other hand take weeks to months to translate series, it is expected to accurately reflect the meaning and connotations of the original dialogue as closely as possible, anything less is not really acceptable to many people; especially when a fansub group can pump out a more accurate and insightful translation in a day. I've seen some really really really bad fansubs in my day (there were some moments in Hunter X Hunter where I had to go back and rewatch a couple times it was so bad), but that's what you get for watching fansubs.

You may have faith in the industry's ability, and while the standard is definately rising, I think we have every right to be worried about this show. There are times in Haruhi where the characters talk very fast (think Excel Saga... Shocked ), some of those things almost definitely cannot be spoken in English in a comparable time frame without ruining the pacing and timing of many of the jokes. Either way, I'm not as worried about the ability of the company (though... god forbid 4kids gets it) but rather retaining the special air that Haruhi has to it; I think it would be difficult for anyone to do, but I love the Japanese VA for this show so I'd probably only be watching the subs anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:34 am Reply with quote
Okay let's stop with this whole "I hope 4Kids doesn't get it" crap because anyone who's been following the news here knows they've been moving away from anime. Eventually, they might not even be a factor in the industry.

Though the R2 DVDs mentioned sound a little suspicious since not too many R2 releases even have subtitles. The target buyer is a Japanese anime fan. I wouldn't surprised if I found a half-assed subtitle job done on an R2 DVD. It's not like there's THAT much pressure to do it since importing anime from Japan is usually only for the most hardcore of fans due the costs and little return episode wise.
uchuunavi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:28 am Reply with quote
Sorry if this link was posted before i just came across it and i was... um... amuzed and scared at the same time Anime catgrin + sweatdrop . btw it was me who started the pics from real places thread... that's how i learned about this site elsewhere. I guess if you didn't see it yet it would fit right in.

http://kanai.dw.land.to/diary/2006-05-01b.htm

I wonder what would happen if this person was a fan of someone who actually had a human body... Anime smallmouth

No, sorry, lame joke, the person making this is a good person. Probably. After all its for fans and done so well that it's amazing.
one3rd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:47 am Reply with quote
Zero89 wrote:
It was a bleach (R2 I think) airing at a shop that specializes in games, anime and pretty much everything like that... and yes the translation were really that bad, and they weren't just once in a while... It was bad sentence after bad sentence. There was also a flame of recca one that wasn't quite as bad, but was still far from "normal" english... they said it wasn't a bootleg... and like I said, I've never seen a fansub that bad... I wasn't saying that fansubs that bad weren't out there; only that I personally have never seen such a bad translation in fansubs...

It was probably a bootleg. You will almost never see English subtitles on a Japanese R2 release.
RDespair

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Zero89 wrote:

Um, that Bleach airing was obviously a bootleg because that's one series that doesn't have a professional English translation out at the moment (official Japanese anime DVDs don't have English translations on them unless they're Studio Ghibli films) and if they're willing to show one bootleg, then I wouldn't be surprised if the Flame of Recca showing was a bootleg too.

I do agree that fansubs are generally a lot better in quality than bootlegs (unless the bootleg is directly copying off of an official English release), but that's not saying much. I've watched many anime series and though I know of series where the dub was lacking, I can not think of a single professional release where I had major problems with the subtitle tracks.

Back on topic, is everyone as excited as I am to see the final episode? I worried that it's not going to live up to my expectations, but that's mostly because my expectations are so high (they've been building up to the events in the next episode throughout the entire series).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:23 pm Reply with quote
uchuunavi wrote:
Wow, that is quite amazing. Even more credit to the animators.
Zero89 wrote:
Yeah, that's definitely a bootleg -- sold at some random specialty shop, and maybe the owners didn't know it was a bootleg; but if they did know, would they really honestly say, "Yeah, those are illegal Hong Kong DVDs"? Besides, since Bleach hasn't even been released in R1 yet, you can't say "These DVDs have bad translations, therefore the R1 companies do a bad job." That's like saying, "The picture quality of this theater-cam movie I downloaded is awful, therefore Miramax did a bad job making the movie." If anyone wants to conduct a real test, get the DVDs of some series you have on fansub, and if the fansub is a good one, the quality will be comparable, differences in translation approach notwithstanding.
Anyway, to try and get this back on topic and away from the 4th fansub debate in the last 4 weeks, I watched the last episode today (and yes, it's pretty definitive that it is the last episode, since there's a notice saying "Next week at this timeslot, 'Welcome to NHK' will air), partly as a countermeasure against the chaos of a potential AX announcement. I'll leave specific discussion until the English-subtitled release, but imo, The Melancholy Suzuimya goes out with a bang that stays true to the level of quality that it's maintained throughout its run. It kind of felt like a mixture between the Evangelion TV ending and End of Evangelion, but in a good way Smile Many of the things that we've seen in "later" episodes make more sense after seing Melancholy~ VI. I'm not changing the "Masterpiece" rating I gave it after 5 episodes, and it may earn a spot in my Top 20 Anime.
d.yaro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Just filling some space... With respect to the R2 DVD of Episode 00 which arrived yesterday (Yes, Canada Post delivers parcels on Sundays in my neighbourhood): I must be nuts to have bought it but I already knew that when I ordered the thing. Anyways, it's been a while since I watched that first episode and I still found myself laughing out loud when I watched it yesterday. Yes, there are no English subtitles. Given that it's been a while since I saw the show originally, I didn't first notice the clip that the DVD version has but the TV show didn't. I was too busy laughing at Kyon/Ono's voice over for the scene. The next episode trailer features the beyond deadpan voice over of Nagato/Chihara delivering a minimal exhortation of "Jikai. Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu. Ichi. Mite" instead of Ono and Hirano's dialogue. The "Making of TV CM" video? Yup, Hirano looks and acts like she just got out of hight school. The trailer for an anime movie titled "Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo"? Looks like it could be interesting.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:47 pm Reply with quote
uchuunavi wrote:

...you know, I really love it when the places in shows are real places, so obviously I find this absolutely awesome Very Happy When I saw The Terminal, I just so happened to be in New York with my dad. My dad works for an airline company so I fly as many as 10-20 times a year since I was 3. Suffice to say I could relate to having hours upon hours to kill trying to fly stand-by when we missed planes because they were full. Long story short, the movie ends with Tom Hanks being allowed into America and the last few shots are of him wandering around Times Square (why isn't there an apostrophe? or is it supposed to be just 'Time'?). The movie theatre my dad and I were in was on Times Square so it was one of those really surreal moments when we got out of the theatre and saw all the places that looked exactly as they did in the movie.

I wish I could go there to the places the show was modeled after Crying or Very sad it's too bad that no matter how I look at it, I can't justify flying for 12 hours each way (much less the costs involved Confused ) just to look at some bikes on a corner and drainage markings. Either way, the idea that many of the places are real just makes me that much happier with this show and it's creators.
Zero89

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
uchuunavi wrote:
Wow, that is quite amazing. Even more credit to the animators.
Zero89 wrote:
Yeah, that's definitely a bootleg -- sold at some random specialty shop, and maybe the owners didn't know it was a bootleg; but if they did know, would they really honestly say, "Yeah, those are illegal Hong Kong DVDs"?

yeah, I suspected as much... I just used the worst possible examples I could think of Wink ... Some R1 releases like Advent Children, and Tsukihime were not too bad... but, there was just something off about the translations... I can't put my finger on it... I guess they just didn't mesh all that well... I'm hoping that the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya does not turn up this way... and before anyone says I was prejiduce with those shows... that was before I saw my first fansub... sorry for my fragmented thoughts Confused I'm just getting really tired of this "sub-thread". please move on...
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Final episode!!! Surprised

spoiler[Awesome ending! Hell, this has to be one of the most satisfying endings I have seen in a very long time. Lots of the main plot points has been addressed, and I especially love the moment when Kyon kissed Haruhi. It's just seems so fitting, and it makes me melt with glee! Embarassed

This has to be an absolute rarity for anime series to go strong throughout its entirety and ends with a bang!]

I have no hesistation of leaving my rating "Masterpiece". Kyoto Animation seriously set the bar high for this series. And not to mention this has to be the only anime series that episode shuffling really helped strengthen Haruhi's character and her relationship with others.

Let's hope for a second season!
Animedude35

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I really have to say, if it ends, it ends on a great note.

I especially liked the part where spoiler[Kyon tells Mikuru that she has a star-shaped mole on her chest and she's shocked the he knew. Then she starts beating him in a girly manner Razz ] That had me laughing out loud.

Anyways, after all the unconventional arrangement of the episodes, it makes more sense now since now you can appreciate the characters, especially with Haruhi and Kyon.

Bring on Season 2! (which I am 99.9% sure, giving how popular it is in Japan AND the internet, and having enough material of the other novels)
Mylene

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Ah, it's over. Overall, I found the anime to be quite satisfying. Very creative, expertly animated, fantastic music...just about everything I could want, although it still lacked a little for my emotion-junkie side. Which not every anime is going to have that, of course, but I still didn't get the special feeling in my chest, the flutter in my stomach that I get from my other favorite shows. That being said, looking at most factors objectively, it was a stunning show, and even without the certain intangibles I desire, it still ended up making my top ten. There are other shows I technically like better than it that are below it in my rankings, but I try to use both objective and subjective measures, which lead to a few oddly placed shows.

But I digress. Episode 14 was fulfilling. I enjoyed how Itsuki spoiler[ was the one to make Kyon understand why he was in the closed space, it was because Haruhi wanted him there. However, Itsuki seemed to give up on the prospects of success. On the other hand, the girls didn't tell him why he was there, they told him that other key point that he needed to know--how to get her to want to return their world, each using an example of a fairy tale where a kiss returns things to the way they should be. Personally, I found Yuki typing Snow White, rather than the kiss itself, to be the most interesting part of the episode. She's been my favorite character most of the way through, and that cemented it.]

I hope the novels get brought over. I'm far enough behind in my translating without tossing actual novels onto the pile, particularly ones with this much depth and sci-fi aspects...
RDespair

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Just wow. I didn't expect them to be able to pull off the ending (and I was ready to drop my rating of the series down from Masterpiece if they really botched it up) but they did pull it off marvelously, tying in the many loose ends, giving all the main characters a chance to shine, but still leaving some things to the imagination. Although the episodes in-between varied in quality from episode to episode, I can say without reservation that I think The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya has the best first episode and the best last episode of any anime I've watched.

I love how spoiler[the opening takes on new meaning now that I've watched the final episode. Yuki>Mata Toshokan ni (probably spelling that wrong) - I love it!]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 34 of 213