• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:57 pm Reply with quote
A dubbed version of Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu might turn out to be pretty good (I'm vouching for ADV to get it), but I'm just going to say one thing --

No one can bring Haruhi to life as much as Hirano Aya did. No one.

And I wonder how they'd pronounce Kyon's name. Probably "Kyoh-n", but "Kyaw-n" is also possible. And considering how the Rahxephon dub pronounced Itsuki "ih - tsuki" rather than "ee - tsuki", it could be pronounced that same way as well.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:09 pm Reply with quote
If it hasn't already been mentioned, it is ranked #2 on the top 10 best anime, with an average rating of 9.05 from 521 votes.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Fallen Embers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I know, I won't knock the translation at this point because there's nothing official yet but I'm still rather nervous about how things look. I'd love it if the original creator could collaborate on the translation (although that might asking too much). So far as ratings, It peaked at 9.07 and was gunning for Samurai X but episode 13 wasn't as big a crowd pleaser as 12. Here's hoping 14 is able to put it over the top.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Actually fallen, the highest I saw it at was 9.09, only 0.4 behind Samurai X at the time. You're right it probably wasn't mentioned that much in this thread kusanagi... but look at the view count for this thread, numbering at nearly 20,000 and nearly 500 posts I don't think many people would be surprised.

Zalis, you're right it's not fair to actually criticize it until it comes out... but this is how those of us with little to no faith in many company's ability to translate the nuances accurately deal with these things. We lower our expectations as low as we can so that no matter what happens we can't be disappointed. This is one show, that even when I buy, I'll hesitate over throwing away my fansubs until I see it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RDespair

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Let's stop bashing the official release until it actually comes out and we can see if it need bashing. After all, localizations and dubs have gotten much better in recent year and I can think of several series which have such good English dubs that I can't watch them in Japanese despite being a fan of the Japanese language (R.O.D. TV, Azumanga Daioh, and Super Gals come immediately to mind). Much as I like the Japanese voice actors and actresses for The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, I think the right localization team could make the English dub just as good or better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:50 pm Reply with quote
No, you decide you hate it before it even exists, which statistically and realistically from a psychological standpoint will push your opinion to continue to hate it out of habit regardless of the its actual quality. It's a common thing studied mostly in the movie industry, but applies pretty much here. Not to mention the other common issue where the original will always sound better or seem better due to being accustomed to that, regardless of fitting voices or which is more accurate, it's more a matter with most as to which came first.

Either way, I can say with certainty you will hate it, simply because you already do. If you actually have that little faith in the current industry then you've had your eyes shut the past few years content to dislike it because it is what it is. Most these people who translate this and work on this aren't just corporate puppets, these people are fans as well for the most part and do enjoy what they do.
Zero89

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:59 pm Reply with quote
actually I think It was higher than that at some point Wink, can't exactly remember what the number was, but I remember the non-bayesian(sp?) rating was some where around 9.21 or something to that extent, and I think it passed rurouni for a little while... I remember wondering just how high it would go at some point Shocked it was crazy high at one point...

edit:
Keonyn wrote:

Either way, I can say with certainty you will hate it, simply because you already do. If you actually have that little faith in the current industry then you've had your eyes shut the past few years content to dislike it because it is what it is. Most these people who translate this and work on this aren't just corporate puppets, these people are fans as well for the most part and do enjoy what they do.

right... so sentences like I were waiting for such long time is a bad translation just because we already have a preconcieved perception that the translations will be bad.... keep in mind I have only seen translations this bad a couple of times, but I have never seen a translation that has massacred the english language this bad in fansubs, maybe I don't watch enough Laughing

not to say I don't make mistakes, but I expect more from a professional, and people don't create misconceptions out of thin air...
Fallen Embers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:14 pm Reply with quote
*editted* - I'd rather be talking about the show. Debating anime companies is boring. I'm quite impressed by the opening sequence. It's like an onion. There's more and more little touches (clock rewinding for Mikuru in her pom-poms) that gets noticed the more my friends and I watch it again. And it easily ranks up with Cowboy Bebop as the most fun in anime-dom.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
right... so sentences like I were waiting for such long time is a bad translation just because we already have a preconcieved perception that the translations will be bad.... keep in mind I have only seen translations this bad a couple of times, but I have never seen a translation that has massacred the english language this bad in fansubs, maybe I don't watch enough Laughing

not to say I don't make mistakes, but I expect more from a professional, and people don't create misconceptions out of thin air...

Well, quoting a less common occurence doesn't eliminate the multitude of well done quotes as well. As for fansubs, I haven't seen all that many as I tend to avoid them, but even I've seen my share of poorly done fansubs when it comes to proper english or translation accuracy.

People do make mistakes, and there's always bad examples in pretty much everything that can be cited to counter the good examples. People are also pessimistic by nature, they can see and dismiss 20 good examples but will notice and remember just a single poor example. It's like reviews, people often read multiple reviews and in many cases they'll remember the negative review even if it's just one amongst a dozen or so great reviews.

Either way, the dub will be done for those who prefer anime that way, it'll no doubt not be good enough for purists regardless of how well it's done but that's nothing new. The sub may or may not be well done, but I have no doubt there will be those who despise simply because it's not a word for word reprint of the fansubs they've already seen, that's hardly a new thing either, not to mention so many have already judged it before the show has even been licensed, let alone released. A precedent has been set, that of a series that can't and won't be translated well, which sets the stage and gives people the expectation of failure. Either way, the bottom line is the show isn't licensed or even released, it's pretty pointless to talk about how bad something is when it doesn't even exist yet.
Steroid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Either way, the dub will be done for those who prefer anime that way, it'll no doubt not be good enough for purists regardless of how well it's done but that's nothing new. The sub may or may not be well done, but I have no doubt there will be those who despise simply because it's not a word for word reprint of the fansubs they've already seen, that's hardly a new thing either, not to mention so many have already judged it before the show has even been licensed, let alone released. A precedent has been set, that of a series that can't and won't be translated well, which sets the stage and gives people the expectation of failure. Either way, the bottom line is the show isn't licensed or even released, it's pretty pointless to talk about how bad something is when it doesn't even exist yet.

But, particularly for a show like Suzumiya (though I would argue this in most cases), a translation should show deference to the original work to specifically serve the fans who became fans as the series was released. Just as the SOS Brigade comprises people who Haruhi has taken as her own elite guard, with those outside of the Brigade as second-class citizens, so should the fandom of the show consist of people who are the elite guard of that show.

It is, I think, a value that disagrees with that of many: that I prefer exclusivity to inclusion, elitism to egalitarianism, the few to the many. But that is why I like shows that are inaccessible to most and why, to wrench things back to the topic at hand, I would like to see more privileges, and fewer responsibilities, accrue to the members of the brigade, particularly to Kyon who had no powers as of yet.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:19 pm Reply with quote
wow... that's some viewpoint there.... too bad it's absolutely ridiculous no matter how you look at it Rolling Eyes (god forbid from a moral standpoint outside of anime Shocked )

Quote:
I prefer exclusivity to inclusion, elitism to egalitarianism, the few to the many. But that is why I like shows that are inaccessible to most and why, to wrench things back to the topic at hand, I would like to see more privileges, and fewer responsibilities, accrue to the members of the brigade, particularly to Kyon who had no powers as of yet.

Kyon may be "in the club" but he doesn't belong so it wouldn't make any sense to give him powers. In fact, it would make more sense according to your philosophy to NOT give him powers, eject him from the gang for being different, and keep the magical powers among those few priveleged people who deserve them.
Steroid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:32 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
wow... that's some viewpoint there.... too bad it's absolutely ridiculous no matter how you look at it Rolling Eyes (god forbid from a moral standpoint outside of anime Shocked )

It makes perfect sense to me, so "absolutely ridiculous" is a little strong.

Quote:
Kyon may be "in the club" but he doesn't belong so it wouldn't make any sense to give him powers. In fact, it would make more sense according to your philosophy to NOT give him powers, eject him from the gang for being different, and keep the magical powers among those few priveleged people who deserve them.

You have an opposite view of cause and effect from mine. My view is that membership has its privileges, but that those privileges are not the criteria for membership. What are the criteria? A willingness to stand with friends despite the ridicule of others, and to accept the premises of the club.

In the first (aired second) episode, Haruhi declares that she has no interest in ordinary humans, and I agree with her. I do, however, make allowances for extraordinary humans.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Are you seriously trying to justify your real-life elitist standpoint by citing an example from an anime?

So, basically what I think you're getting at is, only "the worthy" deserve to watch this anime. That doesn't sound much different from the One Piece fans who were crying last June because 4kids licensed it and therefore they wouldn't be the only ones who knew about the show.
Steroid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:26 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Are you seriously trying to justify your real-life elitist standpoint by citing an example from an anime?

No, I'm not trying to justify it at all. I'm explaining why that standpoint leads me to like this particular anime and the direction I would like to see it go because of it.

Quote:
So, basically what I think you're getting at is, only "the worthy" deserve to watch this anime. That doesn't sound much different from the One Piece fans who were crying last June because 4kids licensed it and therefore they wouldn't be the only ones who knew about the show.

Can't say, because I'm not a One Piece fan. But put it this way: I hope lots of people become Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu fans. I hope it becomes popular to cosplay the characters at conventions. I hope they form real-life analogues of the SOS Brigade. I hope they go around wearing badges and using secret handshakes to identify themselves while non-members look on in confusion. I hope they spend much time and effort disecting the SHnY episodes and novels for hidden triviata and themes. And I hope to be a part of such a movement. Indeed, I want to see this play out for most of the anime I enjoy. What I don't want is to see it relegated to "merely" a piece of popular fiction, with the title of fan conferring no status to the holder.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:
I hope it becomes popular to cosplay the characters at conventions.

Take a look-see.

Steroid wrote:
I hope they go around wearing badges and using secret handshakes to identify themselves while non-members look on in confusion.

Um, ah, I'll show you mine later today. Anime smile + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 33 of 213