• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:09 pm Reply with quote
13 wrote:
lol interesting, the third choice of random viewing. well i guess i should have elaborated on my question. the main reason i brought this up is the fact that i haven't watched any episodes yet. i've just heard about it from friends and looked up plot descriptions online and stuff.

so i guess what really i meant to really ask was:
in what order would you have prefered watching this anime your first time? (out of the 2 choices i posted earlier Razz)

well there's no real 'right' answer to this question, i'm just interested in hearing everyones opinions and stuff before i start watching it. so lemme know what you guys think~

I'd say the majority of viewers (including me) would prefer and have prefered to view it in the broadcast order. You can view it the other way if you want, but personally, I really enjoyed the confusion of the series being out of order. The series really focuses on the "out of the ordinary", so viewing it out of order really just seems like the way it should be viewed imo. I just don't think I'd enjoy it as much in order. The broadcasted last episode just seems like a really good climax too, unlike the "real" last episode.
undeadben

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:20 pm Reply with quote
13 wrote:
what is the 'better' way to watch this anime? in the order the episodes were released? or in the chronological order in which the story takes place?

Despite that the episodes are not in chronological order, the story format is, for the most part. I'd suggest following the broadcast order so that you can follow along, get through the intros, plot points, turning points, and climax at the proper times. I actually did try starting them in chronological order but I stopped when I realized I would hit the climax entirely too early, this would be even worse for you, who has not seen it. It's a bit like if someone spoils the ending for you while you are still in the middle of a series.
d.yaro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Picked up my order of the R2 DVD of volume 3 yesterday. As mentioned earlier, with the episodes on the discs being in sequential, as opposed to broadcast order, this volume concludes "Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu". Yes, it's a bit of a letdown getting to the "final" episode of that storyline so soon. But heck, I'm not complaining. Volume 4 will start off with episodes from "Suzumiya Haruhi no Taikutsu", specifically the baseball tournament episode. It'll be interesting to see where the episode with the rigged computer game shows up.
WesW

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:12 am Reply with quote
d.yaro wrote:
Picked up my order of the R2 DVD of volume 3 yesterday. As mentioned earlier, with the episodes on the discs being in sequential, as opposed to broadcast order, this volume concludes "Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu". Yes, it's a bit of a letdown getting to the "final" episode of that storyline so soon. But heck, I'm not complaining. Volume 4 will start off with episodes from "Suzumiya Haruhi no Taikutsu", specifically the baseball tournament episode. It'll be interesting to see where the episode with the rigged computer game shows up.

I had been wondering which order would be chosen for the DVD's.
I know I am going to be pilloried by all the fan-boys and -girls here, but this pretty much confirms for me what I had suspected about the broadcast order- that it was a gimmick to increase interest in the show. I am watching the Cicada's Cry now, and it uses a similar gimmick. I'm becoming suspicious that these types of tricks are this year's fad. Haruhi is too good of a series to need such a gimmick, but anime is filled with nervous producers and such resorting to things like this, since anime in general is such a tough industry to profit in.
Now I'll go sit in the corner and plug my ears up. Wink
omnistry

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:14 am Reply with quote
What I'm wondering is when it gets picked up here, would the episodes also be released in chronological order, or will it be in broadcast order (considering most of us prefer the latter)?
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I hope its broadcast order
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Animefreak6969 wrote:
I hope its broadcast order

It won't be, I'd give it around a 10% chance max; and it breaks my heart. I guess it's pointless to even worry about what order they'll come in until someone liscenses it. You can be sure I'll start my campaign as soon as someone announces it though. What on earth could be taking companies this long for such a popular show? For that matter, why didn't Air get liscensed? Does KyoAni just charge outrageous amounts or something?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:00 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
What on earth could be taking companies this long for such a popular show? For that matter, why didn't Air get liscensed? Does KyoAni just charge outrageous amounts or something?

I've heard that the licensing costs for renai game anime such as Air are insane. Funimation did license Kiminozo though. This is the first of its kind to be brought over to the US, depending on how well it sells will probably determine whether we'll get anime like Air or Kanon coming over. So in other words, go buy it.

As for Haruhi, they've said they've already gotten bids for it. I'm guessing the licensing cost is much higher than even anime like Air or Kiminozo are. They seem to charge based on their popularity in Japan, rather than the likelyhood of popularity in the US. Seeing as I'd be willing to bet it will never sell as well as something like Bleach in the US, and I'm guessing the licensing costs are around the same if not higher, not as much profit is going to made off of it probably...

Of course, I don't know any of this for sure, most of it is just a guess. Honestly, even besides that though, I still don't see it not getting licensed.
WesW

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:30 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:

...They seem to charge based on their popularity in Japan, rather than the likelyhood of popularity in the US.

This doesn't bode well, then, given the news article here which linked to that Newsweek International article on Japanese culture which mentioned that Haruhi had become a cultural phenomenon in Japan.
Still, companies frequent sites like ANN, and they have to notice a show which runs to the top of the ratings based upon fansubs alone.
What would really be great is if a comedy like Haruhi was finally used to take over for the American shows like Futurama on AS. I think that if anime is ever going to become more mainstream it is going to be because of comedies like Haruhi or dramas like Suzuka.
Anthony P

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:11 pm Reply with quote
WesW wrote:
What would really be great is if a comedy like Haruhi was finally used to take over for the American shows like Futurama on AS. I think that if anime is ever going to become more mainstream it is going to be because of comedies like Haruhi or dramas like Suzuka.

If Haruhi were to win any over Americans not already in the anime loop, it'd likely be due to the series's brisk pacing and top-notch production. But I think the chances of Haruhi becoming a breakout hit are slim indeed. For one, most Americans tend towards episodic shows (with a few exceptions, of course); Haruhi isn't episodic, and furthermore I think the back-and-forth broadcast episode order would simply annoy many casual watchers, and the series in normal order isn't to best effect. Also, the parody aspects of the series and the few references it tosses in render it somewhat inaccessable to people that aren't at least somewhat familiar with anime.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, that does make sense PG, and it's good to hear they've gotten offers.

WesW wrote:
This doesn't bode well, then, given the news article here which linked to that Newsweek International article on Japanese culture which mentioned that Haruhi had become a cultural phenomenon in Japan.

I don't think "cultural phenomenon" covers what Haruhi was for a couple months. Laughing There was a... what, 25 foot mural painted outside the Akihabara train station? There were also some pictures of Akihabara floating around the net, not sure what happened to them, but like half of the advertisements and merchandise you could see was for Haruhi. I haven't heard much about it after the show ended; but it did get 4th in most popular shows in the survey linked from the home page here. Also, if I remember correctly, the first Haruhi single that was released was sold-out all across Japan for like three days.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:58 am Reply with quote
I still have to sit down and watch my own discs (other than the extras), but I gather then R2s put the episodes in chronological order so I would be extremely surprised if the R1s did not follow suit.

I'd give Haruhi better odds than AIR as, while it would probably cost more I'd expect a larger possible market for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:01 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
There was a... what, 25 foot mural painted outside the Akihabara train station? There were also some pictures of Akihabara floating around the net, not sure what happened to them

Those may have been my pictures you're thinking of (or somebody else, I have the pictures anyway though)...

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c233/PantsgoblinX/Picture025.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c233/PantsgoblinX/Picture016.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c233/PantsgoblinX/Picture027.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c233/PantsgoblinX/Picture028.jpg

Although, what you said sounds a bit exaggerated... The mural (it was actually just a floor advertisement, unless there's something else I don't know about) was only about 8 or 10 feet.

But Haruhi's popularity was pretty much exclusively limited to just Akihabara. Besides seeing the CDs at a few stores, I didn't see anything relating to it outside of Akiba. Inside of Akiba though... it was pretty much impossible to not notice it. The show was playing on TVs in pretty much every anime store you walked into...

Although, this was when it still in the middle of its broadcast (about mid May), I don't know if its popularity has expended outside of Akiba now.

Quote:
but like half of the advertisements and merchandise you could see was for Haruhi.

I wouldn't say that much, but its designated section for merchandise seemed to be exceptionally large compared to other shows. Especially considering all they had to offer was the novels and first 2 CDs at the time. I remember either the 4th or 5th floor of Gamers had a huge display for the show. I would have loved to take a picture of it, but no photos allowed in the store (I sort of snuck the ones on the escalator, since no one was looking, they mainly just don't want merchandise to be pictured though, so it's not that big of a deal). So the photos are rather limited to just posters, most of the merchandise and displays in the stores looked a lot nicer and well set up.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I guess I stand corrected. I guess coupled with some of the pictures I saw, and hearing about Haruhi everywhere for about two months, I blew it out of proportion in my head.
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Wow, those Haruhi train station pics are... WTF in a good way. Razz I just finished watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya for the second time (it's been 3 months since I watched it) and it was even better than the first time. Very Happy I definitely wanna see this get licensed but I'd prefer Kyon (broadcast) order for the R1 DVDs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 70 of 213