• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Biggest/Favorite Rivalry in Anime?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DemonDragonJ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Throughout the wide multiverse of Japanese animation, there are many characters who form rivalries. These rivalries are usually deep-seated and greatly influence both the characters' actions and the series' plots. This thread is where you can discuss your favorite rivalry in anime, and your reasons for it being your favorite.

I shall list what I feel are the five greatest rivalries in anime, since I could not choose only one.

1. Goku and Vegeta from Dragon Ball Z. This is definitely one of the biggest on this list. Ever since their first battle, Vegeta harbored an overwhelming desire to prove himself superior to Goku. This rivalry helped to make Vegeta the most interesting character in the whole series. I actually do feel a slight measure of pity for Vegeta, for he never did actually become stronger than Goku.

2. Amuro Ray and Char Aznable from the original Mobile Suit Gundam. Char was a veteran pilot who had never before been bested, but then Amuro, an inexperienced fifteen-year-old boy, appears and defeats him. Char is humiliated and is determined to restore his reputation. Matter are made only worse when Amuro accidentally kills Lala, a women whom they both were in love with.

3. Ayeka and Ryoko from Tenchi Muyo! Both of these women have strong romantic feelings for Tenchi, and they prove true the belief that "Hell has no fury like a woman scorned." The fact that they both want Tenchi for themselves has led them into a never-ending fight to prove who is superior. (Maybe they could learn the fusion dance from DBZ, and then everything would work out, eh?)

4. Yugi Moto and Seto Kaiba from Yu-Gi-Oh! It all started in the first episode, when Yugi defeated Kaiba, and Kaiba was determined to have his revenge. Plus, an interesting twist was added when it was revealed that Yugi and Kaiba had been rivals in their past lives, as well.

5. Inu Yasha and Seshomaru from Inu Yasha. As crazy as it sounds, I have not seen this series, but I have heard that these two brothers hate each other, bringing a whole new definition to the term "sibling rivalry."

Well, what other rivalries does everyone else feel are worthy of mention? I look forward to your feedback.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I will take the liberty to mention Kyo and Yuki of Fruits Basket, because Kyo is always trying to better than Yuki at something, can't seem to snatch it. In this Tom and Jerry like sequence of cat vs. mouse, the mouse does seem to be the winner, the thing funny in this case is instead of planting traps to get the cat, this mouse spoiler[is throwing the cat into the wooden doors of Shigure's house (at Shigure's expense), and the cat is always complaining when he loses.] But in the manga spoiler[it looks like the cat will get the girl ]Wink
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Hmm biggest/favourite Rivalry in anime? Theres typically alot, especially in the shounen genre. Especially in the a particular shounen series called...........Naruto. However there are only a few rivalries in that series that I find interesting. The one I like the most is:

Rock Lee and his rivalry with Hyuuga Neji. The thing that makes this my favourite rivalry is Rock Lee's determination to surpass a "genius" in the form of his squadmate Neji. I found it inspiring to watch him endlessly train himself with hardwork to overcome the "genius". Probably his saying is what got me most interested in his rivalry. "A dropout will defeat a genius with hardwork" (of course that is the translated version I got) was quite the statement to me. That is what he believed in and he almost made it come true (but damn gaara for having that demon in him........but then again not his fault).

So far there aren't many other rivalries that are quite as interesting to me.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
suna_suna

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:26 pm Reply with quote
one of the best and biggest rivalries is the one between Kenshin Himura and Hajime Saito in Rurouni Kenshin. it had the best fight of the whole series up through the Legend of Kyoto ark. thats the fightspoiler[that takes place after Saito infiltrates the Kamiya Dojo as a police officer]it had so much action. their rivalry goes back into the revolution and they never really get over it.
sapphiremist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:28 am Reply with quote
My personal favorite would have to be Kyou and Yuki from Fruits Basket. Very Happy I've always liked Japanese folkore and its interesting how Kyou, the cat spirit, always tries to "defeat" Yuki, the mouse, because he feels so inferior from not beating Yuki once. It makes you think about the folktale and wonder if majority of cat/mouse cartoons portray cats chasing mice all the time. Plus, its absolutely funny how they destroy the house and everything.. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
Space_cowboy64

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:06 am Reply with quote
I'm not entirely sure whether this is a true rivalry or not but the one between Van and Allen Shiza in Escaflowne. I love the way they both are kind of fighting over the same thing but at the same time working together. It creates this fantastic tension and suspense between he characters, and I believe holds all the way though up until the end. The fight the two have in the last episode said by some to be absolute rubbish, I believe is amazing and breathtaking. I honestly could not tell which one was going to come out of it victorious, spoiler[but of course they both do.] I love Escaflowne and love these two great characters and I believe their rivalry for Hitmoi is one of animes best rivalry’s.

Thanks
Space
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
KuzuryuuTakumi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:07 am Reply with quote
My favourite is definately Yukari-sensei and Nyamo-sensei from Azumanga Daioh. I would think it's pretty self-explanatory but I just love how they bet on who would win the sports festivals and how Yukari always makes fun of Nyamo being a P.E teacher (especially when spoiler[Yukari takes centre stage after Nyamo fails to help Kagura in her work])

Another rivalry I like is (please bear with me) Ash and Gary from pokemon. It may not be well paced (I can only remember a few times they actually meet and then battle out of over 200 eps) but I really liked (and still like) their battle in the Johto league.

As for the biggest rivalry in anime, I have to agree with Amuro Ray and Char Aznable. Their rivalry lasts for over 10 years I think...
Well, it lasts between Mobile Suit Gundam, Zeta Gundam, ZZ Gundam (do they make an appearance here?) and ends in Chars Counterattack.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1