• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Viz streams Reborn!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Got the new Shonen Jump in the mail:

Maybe if enough people watch, they'll bring back the manga??
opn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:56 pm Reply with quote
i already knew about this. even made a thread about it on two other forums still its nice to see reborn being (possibley) licensed and with this and ft maybe long running shonen's are finally getting the benefit of the doubt and are getting licensed.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Maybe Viz realizes that Reborn can be a NYT Bestseller if they advertize it properly?

If DGM can make the list with each new volume, Reborn can. The only difference is the fact that Viz markets DGM to the right fanbase (fans of action and gothic horror), while they marketed Reborn as a comedy when it's mostly an action series from volume five onwards.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:20 pm Reply with quote
The first season of reborn is god awful, i wouldn't be surprised if hardly anyone kept watching through it.

When ever i go back to rewatch the series i have to skip that first part.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:54 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
Got the new Shonen Jump in the mail:

Maybe if enough people watch, they'll bring back the manga??

Very, very doubtful. Just because people watched the streamed version, does not guarantee a direct sale, nor does it guarantee Viz Media will pick up the series again.

Remember Eat Man? It was dropped years ago and there were some serious fans that contacted Viz (it wasn't Viz Media at that time) the series was still left unfinished and still is today.

I am thinking Viz Media isn't looking to make much money on the Reborn streams and is doing it to introduce newer fans to Viz Media in the hopes it creates a interest in their company that will result in continued support.

I've noticed that once a series is dropped by Viz Media, the chances of it rights being picked by them once again is very unlikely. I've been buying from Viz Media for years and it's been a very long time since I've heard any news of Viz Media continuing a dropped series.

Gintama is another fine example. The manga was dropped and even though there is a strong fanbase (not strong enough apparently) it's unlikely that the manga will ever see a conclusion in the United States.

So there really isn't much that can be done with dropped manga series from Viz Media. I just support whatever current series that I've been collecting for a while (such as Bleach and One Piece) and support them that way.

But I agree with Tylerr, I watched the first season and it was not only for the most part generic, but quite bland as well. There were multiple times where I nearly dropped it, but continued in the hopes it might get better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1