• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Battle Angel Alita: Live Action Film?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
camelot187757

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Scouring the intricasies of the internet i came across a little article on Gamespot that bluntly stated that James Cameron probably most noted for the Terminator movies and Aliens, will be taking the helm for the movie. Personally I like all three of the Terminator movies (specially that Judgement Day boi.. he was liquid) so if anybody should be making a sci-fi movie of this kind of calibur I would say that this guy is certaintly man enough for the job.

However...(dum dum dum)

We face the ever pending problem of them "Americanizing" the movie. I would much rather have them leave the title alone if they are going to change around the names and such so that way they can please the American audience because we knoooow how much they hate anything that japanese. As a side note, if they can frickin make the Passion of the Christ in friggin Hebrew, have subs throughout the entire movie and have the same audience that they are afraid is going to reject anything that isn't english or American spend $158 Million to go and see it, why can't they do they same with adapted anime films? But on to the question.

Should Hollywood really be bothered making a live action movie about B.A.A.?
I say if they do, keep it real and don't ruin it by changing the names to Charlie and Courtney and the areas to Chicago and stuff.

Almost forgot the links
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03/09/news_6120115.html

And
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=7877 (I haven't read this one myself)
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:59 pm Reply with quote
See this thread. It may not be happening after all, or at least James Cameron may be doing this "Project 808"/Avatar thing first.

He just did an interview with AICN's "Quint" and didn't mention Battle Angel once. (Quint didn't even ask him about it, for some reason.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jousha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:26 pm Reply with quote
camelot187757 wrote:
As a side note, if they can frickin make the Passion of the Christ in friggin Hebrew, have subs throughout the entire movie and have the same audience that they are afraid is going to reject anything that isn't english or American spend $158 Million to go and see it, why can't they do they same with adapted anime films? But on to the question.

For one, that was a major risk on Gibson's part. Secondly, I don't think it's logical to compare the Christian community to the Anime community--the former is much larger in the US.
-----
I don't see a problem with Battle Angel being "Americanized." Either a movie is good or it isn't; it doesn't have to be be equeal to the manga/anime/etc. I still don't understand the "uptight"-ness behind a lot of fans not wanting to see "their" anime turned into a movie.
-----
This is pretty old news, my friend. As old as, or even older than, the Live Action NG:E possibility.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Considering that the manga takes place in a fictional dystopian society in an alternate world, concerns about how a western director would portray Japanese characters are irrelevant as there are no Japanese characters to portray.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shi-ne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I heard that Mel Gibson supposedly had a hard time trying to get someone to distribute 'Passion'; Hollywood loves to change things. If 'Passion' was a studio idea, the Romans would have english accents and the Hebrews would sound American. We're still going to see some changes in B.A. Hopefully, James Cameron fights like a mother%$&& so that he's able to make the film the way he wants to.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I really don't see the problem, I mean, why is it that it's so often ignored when the anime industry does the same? The works of other cultures are often adapted to an anime title and the changes and twists are completely ignored but when the roles reverse it creates an uproar.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1