• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jimmy lets us down on GunM once again

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:28 am Reply with quote
beast

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to hear that. Don't want to see a good manga being bastardized into a Hollywood movie.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:46 pm Reply with quote
beast wrote:
I'm glad to hear that. Don't want to see a good manga being bastardized into a Hollywood movie.

And just who's saying that an American feature film adaptation would automatically be bad?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
thecactusman17

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I read it. Reread it yourself: this project has been his dream for well over a decade now. In a similar situation, if out of the blue I got a chance to work on what I'd wanted to do for the past ten years vs. what I said would be next, I'd at least carefully weigh my options. If this is his once in a lifetime opportunity, then he can wait on Batle Angel. He's James-freakin'-Cameron, it's not like he won't be allowed to work on BA some more later. I wasn't even aware it was out of Pre-Prod yet anyway. Shooting wasn't supposed to start until later this year.

As for BA, I'm not sure what to think yet. All I can hope is that he won't shy away from the violence. While I want to see how he developes the story (and I won't be naive enough to think that this will be anything less than "James Cameron's Battle Angel" and neither should you) I also want to see the uber-violent sci-fi spectacle that caught my attention in the first place. From the guy that brought us Alien. That would be a kick.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:49 am Reply with quote
thecactusman17 wrote:
As for BA, I'm not sure what to think yet. All I can hope is that he won't shy away from the violence. While I want to see how he developes the story (and I won't be naive enough to think that this will be anything less than "James Cameron's Battle Angel" and neither should you) I also want to see the uber-violent sci-fi spectacle that caught my attention in the first place. From the guy that brought us Alien. That would be a kick.

So essentially, a much superior version than Aeon Flux?

Count me in!!
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... James Cameron's done an interview with AICN's "Quint, yet, not only does he not talk about live-action GUNMN/Battle Angel, Quint somehow doesn't even ask him about it.

I have to say, both as a filmgoer and as someone who's somewhat interested in the business side of things, Battle Angel was the only one of the proposed Hollywood live-action anime/manga adaptations that I really have all that much confidence in, both because of who is at the helm and because I feel that GUNMN would be a property that is more amenable to live-action adaptation that would be much more palatable to a wider mainstream American audience than, say, a religious-themed giant robot psychodrama.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
thecactusman17

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:46 pm Reply with quote
An interesting consideration: while Harry seems pretty certain that Project 880 is Avatar, Cameron claims that his plate is full for the next five years. Plausible (theough unlikely) scenario: In an effort to avoid being labeled a hack artist by the reactionary anime community (who will be instrumental in word of mouth advertising for this film) Cameron publicly does not speak about it, labeling it instead as "Project 880". He uses this as a smokescreen to deflect intense fan scrutiny from his next project Avatar. Project 880, aka Gunm, aka Battle Angel Alita, is quietly finished and suddenly a huge blockbuster science fiction film explodes out of nowhere witth Cameron's name attached to it that otherwise wouldn't experience the same mainstream hype, being an adaptation of those "silly Japanese cartoons."
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Except James Cameron was speaking about it publicly a lot as recently as a few months ago.

But now Avatar seems to have more momentum within his directorial Attention Deficit Disorder.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shi-ne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:02 pm Reply with quote
This isn't fair at all. Crying or Very sad I was really hoping to see this next year, but it seems I'm going to have to wait a little longer for it.
camelot187757

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Except James Cameron was speaking about it publicly a lot as recently as a few months ago.

But now Avatar seems to have more momentum within his directorial Attention Deficit Disorder.

By Avatar I hope he doesn't mean that show on Nick. It hasn't breathed a year and they are already trying to make a movie out if it? IN any case if its just the title I wish that he could refocus his attention on B.A.A because that would probably be more intersting than anything else that he could be thinking of.
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:23 pm Reply with quote
thecactusman17 wrote:
From the guy that brought us Alien.

Ridley Scott did Alien. James Cameron brought us the far superior Aliens. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:30 pm Reply with quote
camelot187757 wrote:

By Avatar I hope he doesn't mean that show on Nick. It hasn't breathed a year and they are already trying to make a movie out if it?

Uhh... no, it's the movie idea about an epic love/war story on an alien planet that James Cameron has been talking about since at least 1997.

A lot of people give the script glowing reviews.
thecactusman17

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:46 pm Reply with quote
First off, you got me Cloe. My mistake there.

The reason I see my scenario as plausible is because BAA hasn't started shooting yet, which is where a lot of the leaks come from. If he started shooting in secret, he'd be able to spring a great looking BAA film on the public and the anime community with little or no advance warning.

ADD is a bit harsh Tenchi. As I pointed out earlier, when you choose between two projects of this magnitude, pros and cons must be weighed. I doubt he would take on any film, be it Avatar or BAA, without a full intent to give it 100% of his attention. This seems to be a likely case of "I can make this one where I got promises of funding already, or I can make this film where it's been much more shakey and this might be the only opportunity to get it done. If I take the second one, I am early enough in the first one that I can pause it without causing serious disruption to it later."
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:03 pm Reply with quote
It's also not plausible because movies on the scale of Battle Angel are not shot in secret. Too many people need to be mobilized, and the fact that they are being mobilized would be widely known. A project like this might be "closed-set", where what goes on on the set cannot be disclosed, but that they're in production is no secret.

Movies produced on a shoestring with a minimal crew can be shot in relative obscurity and then "come out of nowhere", but that would certainly not be the case for a film with a nine-digit budget and a crew of thousands working on it in some capacity. It's the cinematic equivalent of building a skyscraper: impossible to hide.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1