• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kids WB will be no more

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omnistry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:56 pm Reply with quote
http://www.comcast.net/news/usatoday/index.jsp?fn=/2006/01/24/240635.html

Apparently, it may now be called "Kids CW"; or something like that. When this happens, who knows what will still be there. PoKeMoN lost its steam during the first Johto season; Mega Man is still good once in a while; and Viewtiful Joe seems to be a big hit with the kids. (Yet they cancelled Astro Boy after 8 episodes Sad.) Not sure what to expect. One less channel, I guess.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Does UPN even do anything networkwide on Saturday mornings, or do they just leave the Saturday morning schedule up to their affiliates?

I'd imagine they'll just continue Kids WB, perhaps with the new name.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kouji

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Wait. Doesn't the WB own the Cartoon Network? What does this change mean for them?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Read this and you'll understand
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Joe anime

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:03 pm Reply with quote
At least the saturday am shows will stay,all i see there is Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh.
Hideyuki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:50 am Reply with quote
Just as long as I still get my Reba, I don't care.

Kids WB sucks now anyways.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:19 am Reply with quote
It's not as big a deal as it might sound. Warner Bros. the company is not effected, ONLY the division of that company that handles the WB tv network, so divisions such as Cartoon Network and DC comics shouldn't even be rippled by this change.

As for the tv network, it sounds like all the shows I watched, basically Smallville, Supernatural, and the cartoons, will remain un-touched, at least for now.

The network will apparently also run on the WB stations instead of the UPN stations, so it won't really be much of a change at all for WB viewers, at least in the short term. We'll have to see how things pan out though.

I think it's a sound descision, it basically doubles their line-up of potentially successful programming, and halves their competition. They should have done this ages ago.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:53 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
It's not as big a deal as it might sound.

No, it is a big deal, though not when it comes to WBKids (which CNN Headline Entertainment show stated two days ago is moving to CW) or with any of the Time Warner assets that aren't involved The WB Network. In the markets that have both a UPN and a WB stations (which is quiet a few), one of the stations will no longer be affliated with a network. That's going shake up the overall programming field.

As to which station will be shutting down, that's not clear except for the UPN stations who are owned by Fox (they'll not be carrying CW) and the stations owned by Tribune (the will become CW stations in a deal that will liquidate Tribune's 22% ownership of The WB). No one has yet said publically which UPN or WB stations will become CW stations yet, other than with the stations directly owned by the particapants or owned by Fox (I've read that Fox's deal with the UPN stations was ending this year and the had plans to change those stations into Fox Sports outlets, prior to all of this, so that may be what will happen with those stations).

In my case, both WB and UPN in my market are not owned by anyone directly involved in change, so no one has a clue yet which one will win out. To both stations credit they have their HDTV towers up and running and have had them doing that for over two years. So whatever happens with the situation, the loser does have a better chance of staying on the air as a Independent than some other stations caught in this change might have.
camelot187757

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I hope that they can at least turn this into a good thing. Drop some of the crappy ass programming on both sides and have a crazy line up of shows (Everybody Hates Chris and Smallville back to back on the same channel is like gold on television). As far as anime, I think all this means is that Sailor Moon might have a chance of being resurrected since i remember that they used to play it in the mornings. IN that unlikely event, if it picks up any steam maybe they can bring back Astro Boy. I don't really see much of a problem since they can't afford to lose their 6-11 viewers.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Won't happen. DiC's rights to Sailor Moon lapsed, and Toei has effectively withdrawn the franchise from the North American market entirely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
camelot187757

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Won't happen. DiC's rights to Sailor Moon lapsed, and Toei has effectively withdrawn the franchise from the North American market entirely.

Well we can at least pray on Astro Boy returning after the merge. Or even better a new dub premiering altogether. I think I think I heard that Bleach is up for grabs but I don't think the UPN/CBS merge has the balls to risk it...

But as a better side note
Article on Anime

Last edited by camelot187757 on Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:32 pm Reply with quote
They aren't likely to bring back what was a huge ratings failure, sorry.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
They aren't likely to bring back what was a huge ratings failure, sorry.

It's such a shame that viewers were so quick to dismiss a remake of the show which pretty much started anime as we know it. (Yes, I know it wasn't the first anime, thank you very much.) I'd love to see it return even to Cartoon Network early in the morning (I'd just use my VCR), but it'll never be. Actually, it would be a good fit for Adult Swim's last hour each night of classic anime, like Lupin, Case Closed (not really too old, just looks old), and Gigantor. I'd love to see it show up there.

OT: I just played the Game Boy Advance game Astro Boy: Omega Factor, made by Treasure, published by Sega. The gameplay reminds me of Treasure's classic Gunstar Heroes for Sega Genesis (which also just had a sequel come out on GBA). I highly recommend it to any fans of old-school, difficult side-scrollers or even any Tezuka fans for the tons of references to different Tezuka characters, even those outside of the Astro Boy series. Shame no one played this game because of the "kiddy" Astro Boy license.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1