• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mai-Hime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azumangaman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Hello there,

While searching Amazon.ca, I saw Mi-Hime for pre-order for only 20 dollars canadian. Anyway, my question is:

Is My-Hime chock-full of fan service, or is it a relativley (or completley clean) show? Please share your comments on the show itself, as well as the appropriate level as well.

Thanks,
Azumangaman
Luminal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Mai Hime is a really good show, and Mai Otome is even better.

I don't know what you mean by fan service but it is pretty clean. There isn't really any nudity, at least in Mai Hime. There is a couple of lesbians that end up sleeping together but that's about it.

Luminal
Azumangaman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Luminal wrote:
Mai Hime is a really good show, and Mai Otome is even better.

I don't know what you mean by fan service but it is pretty clean. There isn't really any nudity, at least in Mai Hime. There is a couple of lesbians that end up sleeping together but that's about it.

Luminal

By Fan-Service, I mean lots of close nudity, like accidental shirt rippings and the like. Sorry if this isn't clear.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:34 pm Reply with quote
There's a little bit of fan service in the beginning. Some stuff to do with Mai's breasts in the first two episodes particularly. There is no nudity or panty shots. There's one part where one of the characters loses her panties and her skirt blows up when someone is watching but it doesn't show anything. Some of one character's clothes get ripped off at one point, it doesn't reveal anything there either. That's really all I can think of. The fan service is very minimal IMO. It's not that much and all of it fades away in the second half of the series. But despite any fan service My-Hime is an absolutely great show. I very, very highly recommend it.

Last edited by PantsGoblin on Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Luminal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:42 pm Reply with quote
There's quite a bit of fan service in Mai Otome, compared to Mai Hime. But if you plan to watch Mai Otome, you should watch Mai Hime first. It is not an absolute prerequisite, but I think it is more enjoyable that way.

Luminal
Bl00dHoUnD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Mai-HiME is definitely in my top 10 anime, with extremely good characters, an engrossing story, and some dramatic scenes. It is a very good series overall, and even though there's fan service in the first 5 or so episodes, it goes away by episode 10, with a little bit of sexual innuendo left.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:41 pm Reply with quote
There is some fan service in the early episodes, but it pretty much disappears after around episode 10 or so. It's pretty tame, mostly girls in bikinis or skintight outfits and some jiggles here and there. And a panty-stealing monster in one episode.

On the lesbian issue that Luminal mentioned, I won't go into details as it is a spoiler, but you only see it in a brief 1 second flashback with silhouettes.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:12 am Reply with quote
Like others have said, there is a bit of fanservice early on, and some shoujo-ai, but overall, there's less fanservice in Mai Hime than say, Love Hina or Ai Yori Aoshi. Certainly waaaaay less than shows like Girls Bravo or DearS. The manga of Mai Hime, on the other hand, is well-supplied with panty shots, torn clothing, etc. ...I'm not even sure I want to read it. As for the quality of the TV series, it's one of my top favorites--Magical Girls with a more complex plot than average, romantic polygons and conflicts, great animation and action, and some really sad moments. Should be one of the high-profile DVD releases of 2006, though I'll be loathe to give up my pretty character-color-coded fansubs Crying or Very sad
one3rd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:50 am Reply with quote
Luminal wrote:
There is a couple of lesbians that end up sleeping together but that's about it.

Hmmm...not quite. First, the affection is one-way. Not reciprocated. Secondly, the sleeping is just that. Sleeping. Not the kind of sleeping that doesn't actually involve sleeping.
2Real

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:00 am Reply with quote
This shows isnt realy a fan servis show. While it dose have it's provocative moments it is a over all good show.

It has some exclent action in it. Best part is that is has a good story. While it ends some what un fufilled, I would say it is worth watching.

I thought it would be another girly girl show, so to speak, because it is based around all female people. Much to my suprise it didn't turn out like that.

It has its own love story and its own action story combined together to make an exclent show that I belive is worth seeing no matter what kind of anime fan you are.

*personal note: The entire time I was watching this I felt ass if I was watching a RPG ( role playing game, such as Final Fantasy) being played out befor my eyes.

The entier thing caputred me and intrigued me wanting to see more of it. Over all I think I would put it in my top 20 of all anime ever seen, I have seen roughly around 130-140 animes ( some I don't rember too well due too time laps).

My point is, I would tell anyone who asks about this show to watch it. I don't think you will be disapointed.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:03 am Reply with quote
2Real wrote:
I have seen roughly around 130-140 animes ( some I don't rember too well due too time laps).

OT: What the!? You've already seen that many!? Just a little over a month ago you were at 71. That's more than one anime title per day! And most of those aren't short series either. You watch anime at an insane rate. I would never be able to watch at that rate. But I have a job so...
Bl00dHoUnD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:28 am Reply with quote
Off Topic: Damn! The most I can watch in a day is like... 15 episodes. I do that like 3 or 4 days a week, and I've watched like 34 or 35 serieses... That's crazy, 130!?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Luminal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:36 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
Luminal wrote:
There is a couple of lesbians that end up sleeping together but that's about it.

Hmmm...not quite. First, the affection is one-way. Not reciprocated. Secondly, the sleeping is just that. Sleeping. Not the kind of sleeping that doesn't actually involve sleeping.

Actually, the affection ends up being spoiler[ reciprocal ] later on. And, it is implied that Shizuru was doing a bit more than just "sleeping" with this other girl, otherwise she spoiler[ wouldn't have been so upset when she found out about what shizuru had been doing to her. ]

Luminal
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:23 pm Reply with quote
OT: Wow you guys are insane with your daily rate. Ever consider that he started many of those series and that they are still on going? Anywho i've been watching anime for about 11 years and i've accumalated to watch about 200+ anime. Not bad in my mind but the majority of those series have been viewed in the past 2-3 years. Anyhow i've actually only completed watching a bit more than half of that. Anyhow the lack of quality anime has slowed my rate of watching new shows soo i'm pretty much on a break right now.

Now back to the topic as many others have said Mai Hime has little fanservice except wet shirts, exposed breasts which are covered by arms, sexual positions (ep. 8 heh heh was soo jokes) and skimpy outfits in that karaoke bar night episode. However thats mostly the first half of the series, after about ep 12 or 13 there is probably about 3-5 scenes within the next 12-13 episodes.

Also replying to Luminal..........Mai-HiME is way better than Mai-Otome by far.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:36 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
OT: Wow you guys are insane with your daily rate. Ever consider that he started many of those series and that they are still on going?

He put them in seen all. And he said that he saw all of them. Anyway looking at the series he's seen, most of them are 26+ episode series. I find it impossible for him to have seen 60-70 series in just a month and six days. He wouldn't have any time for sleep if that were the case. Either he's lying in order to buff up his image or he really is an inhuman creature who does nothing but eat, sleep, and watch anime. Knowing him it could be either one though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2