• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Where do you find new anime?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sesshoumaru8106

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Most of us have this problem; some of us don't. Every anime eventually comes to an end (yes, even the seemingly endless Dragon Ball series lmao), and when they do, we can either watch through it again or find a new anime. The problem is, sometimes, that finding new (good) anime can be hard sometimes.

Where do you find your new anime?

(I usually hear about them from my friends, forums, or even CN lol).
Luminal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I usually find them on this site. On the new releases section. I also tried [URL removed. -Nagi] but most of the times the new titles have links to this website to describe the animes hehe. I've only seen 3-4 that were found there and not here.

I also like to check the rating on here before I go get the anime. This site is great really.

Luminal
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I browse stores, both IRL and online and take a look at titles, then do more research on them online, like at this site or anidb.info. IIRC, I remember finding out about some from various Amazon Listmania! and "So you'd like to..." sections that popped up when I was looking at entries for DVDs. Forums help too--I prefer reading threads over making recommendation threads, so try the "10 Favorite/5 Least Favorite" thread on this forum. I also talk to like-minded friends about it, though these days I've seen most things that they've seen. Reviews here or at animeondvd.com can also be a big help, as can the Shelf Life column, which talks about a variety of shows.

And finally, there are the big fansub new release websites, which we can't talk about here (no matter how well-meaning we may be), which show the latest things coming down the pipeline from Japan to DL and watch.

Also, I'm working on filling in comments for everything in my "My Anime ~ Seen All" category, so feel free to have a look at that.[/shameless self-promotion]

So really, the possibilites are endless when it comes to discovering new anime, and that's where the problem is Twisted Evil
jousha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:43 pm Reply with quote
My younger brother. He buys a bunch of anime, or downloads them, and lets me know about them. Since he's usually my only resource, and I don't think he's a full-on otaku, then I don't often get too much anime imported into my time (especially new anime).

I still have yet to see even all the stuff he's bought, but I slowly get through it. I also use to download stuff I haven't heard of, but I stopped that after a while.
Gauss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:43 pm Reply with quote
My usual method is to check the fanratings on a couple of sites. I rarely start downloading something right from the first episode, but wait some weeks until the ratings stabilize. My other methods include checking reviews and following the buzz on various forums. And sometimes I ignore all that if the show is based on something I really like, such as a good manga or it's a sequel to a great anime. And if it's a real find of a fansub I sit impatiently waiting for it to get licensed so I can get the DVDs.
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Freinds and Forums.

I got one of my freinds that is addicted to Bandwidth Usage, every few weeks, I normaly see him for new fansubs.

I normally wait for a the first 2 - 5 episodes so i can work out whether or not the series is going to be waste of my time or not.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Forums like these, and reading reviews and plot summaries here or on the back of the DVD cases mostly. If the series sounds interesting I'll pick it up. I may buy a series blind too, if it's one of those cheap thinpacks.
squirtbag

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I just download all of the current seasons stuff as they get released (very easy to find since they are new). I gradually drop series from my download list as I lose interest in them and by around mid season I'm downloading just the stuff I like. Its around 5min/week of effor on my part to keep up to date with the material (not including time to watch of course, but I woundn't call that effort Smile ).

Clear HD space and repeat for next season.
miu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:14 am Reply with quote
I look for press releases about new licenses. Also there are quite a few anime blogs out there from English speakers living in Japan - they post about new series, stuff that often winds up being licensed within a few months to a year.

In my opinion the worst place to make your decision is browsing the racks. Make sure you read up on series you are interested in - most anime is expensive enough that you can spend a lot of money only to discover that you hate a series.
Urb'

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:20 am Reply with quote
I know a few people who recommend me stuff, i look on here(the Favorite top 10 list) for example(i hadnt heard of hardly any of the listed being relatively new to scene ie Last exile/full metal panic). a friend recommended me a macross zero fansub which i watched, and from there, i went and bought the macross movies and macross plus..

acually its not "new" but they are new to me anyways..

other than that i normally check out whats released on fansubs, then look it up on here, but i can tell i wont like half the stuff, i stop watching more series within 1st episode than i do getting thru to the 2nd. ah, I also check what on sale at online stores, then check those titles on here and buy some which are popular titles with good rating..
AHZ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:59 am Reply with quote
I find some on this site, I'll also check out the latest issue of Anime Insider when I get a chance. I spend a little time browsing online stores: robertsanimecornerstore.com and animeforest.com are my two favorites.

If I've never heard of a series before, I'll read the short synopsis and decide if it's something that intrigues me or not--if so I'll rent it on animeforest and if I really like it, I'll buy it from animecornerstore.
daristar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Friends, [URL removed. -Nagi] and here. Mostly I read the synposis and see if it sounds interesing. Anidb had a 'similar' link which can also help, but not always.
novem

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Fansubs, mainly. When a new season comes up, I'll usually read up to get an idea of what's new (although I of course can't know about every single show coming out), so I'm familiar with those. I generally give most that I'm even slightly interested in a try. Then I also check various anime blogs regularly.

For other stuff, I hear about it online, but I honestly couldn't tell you where or when exactly. It's just kind of random - randomly browsing reviews, randomly looking around online stores, randomly seeing something recommended to someone else.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shorty22

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, mine is slightly sad in comparison to everyone else. I find most of my new anime through Cartoon Network. Sure, I'll have heard about it before then, but I wouldn't have seen any before it's aired on TV.

A friend showed me one series that I ended up buying as well, especially since it was one of the recently rereleased economy sets. But he's moved away and my new anime buddy isn't a buyer, but a borrower. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

I have also blindly bought series. Price is a big factor in blind buying. The cheaper, the more likely I'll risk it. However, I found such good reviews and it just really seemed like something kinda different that I'd like, that I did risk buying the first DVD of a series recently, however, I haven't watched it yet...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1