• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Just bought Seiyu's Life! off E-Bay.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ mglittlerobin - do you mean both sets cost $52.31 in total or that each set cost $52.31? If it is the former, I have to assume they are the DVDs as opposed to Blu-rays.

It's $52.31 for both DVD sets, I don't have the money to pony up for a region free blu-ray player. And that cost included $5.04 in shipping for both DVD sets.

You will need a region free DVD player for the DVDs, region free blu-ray for the blu-rays, or if you still have your ancient PlayStation 2, the Action Replay MAX cheat disc has the ability to unblock DVD regions and that cost me $12.50.

Set one cost me $30.64, the second set was one sale at $20.63.

For people who enjoyed the English dub, it is on the discs.

If you have the money for a regfion free Blu-Ray player, I would totally recommend importing from the UK, Even the Blu-Rays are cheaper. A bit pricy, I've seen the prices go from $65-85 on ebay per set, the manufacturer is MVM Entertainment, it's a lot but totally worth it if you want to physically own Ufotable's Fate series. You will have the extra hoop of region locking.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I do have an all-region Blu-ray/DVD player. I bought it a few years ago specifically to get AoA titles (like Fate/Zero) much cheaper as well as to get the occasional title that got an UK or Australian license but not a North American one (i.e. I got the complete Monster set from Oz).

I paid about $190-ish bucks for mine, but what really cracked me up was that it was cheaper to buy that AND the two Fate/Zero sets from the UK than it would have been just to buy AoA's two F/Z sets (and I ain't even talking about the expensive imports).
wmderemer
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:07 pm Reply with quote
manga at B&N:

Nisekoi 19
NTR: Netsuzo Trap 2
Shomin Sample 1-3
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I do have an all-region Blu-ray/DVD player. I bought it a few years ago specifically to get AoA titles (like Fate/Zero) much cheaper as well as to get the occasional title that got an UK or Australian license but not a North American one (i.e. I got the complete Monster set from Oz).

I paid about $190-ish bucks for mine, but what really cracked me up was that it was cheaper to buy that AND the two Fate/Zero sets from the UK than it would have been just to buy AoA's two F/Z sets (and I ain't even talking about the expensive imports).

I know, Fate/Zero and DurarararaX2 ar so cheap! I'll be grabbing both soon!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:47 am Reply with quote
...and don't even get me started on how much cheaper it is to get the various Monogatari releases from the UK versus AOA. I recently did a price comparison and you would save about $600-ish.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:34 am Reply with quote
I admit, I got the cheapest one, but the Region free BD player I got this month was just $120. Not that LG is some horrible manufacturer. What you are paying for is someone to hack the player and repackage it.

As for just DVD's doesn't the VLC player still work region-free (on PC's at least)? I used to have a couple region 2 DVD's and they played fine on VLC (pre-Windows 10).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I got a cheap region-free DVD player personally. It was too hard to find a BD player that was region-free for both formats. Plus all my BD imports are from Japan which is the same region as the US here so a DVD player suited me just fine since the only other imports I had were Australian DVDs.

Recently received:
Kizumonogatari Movie 1: Tekketsu BD (speaking of Aniplex wallet raping...)
Strike the Blood Novel 5: Fiesta for the Observers
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:05 am Reply with quote
Just bought:
A Letter to Momo
Kurau: Phantom Memory
Kiki's Delivery Service
wmderemer
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:38 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
I admit, I got the cheapest one, but the Region free BD player I got this month was just $120. Not that LG is some horrible manufacturer. What you are paying for is someone to hack the player and repackage it.

As for just DVD's doesn't the VLC player still work region-free (on PC's at least)? I used to have a couple region 2 DVD's and they played fine on VLC (pre-Windows 10).

Yes, VLC still works for playing all region's DVDs with Windows 10... I have several R2's & that is my only way to watch them (laptop connected to 40" TV via HDMI).
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Ordered-

Nichijou BD/DVD
and instead of Shipping, DVD 1 of Case Closed, from Right Stuff's Clearance section.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Took advantage of TRSI's current Discotek/Eastern Star sale to get:

TV

Bokurano DVD
EAT-MAN DVD
Lovely Complex DVD
School Days Blu-ray
Zombie-Loan DVD

OVAs

Fatal Fury
Mad Bull 34
Robot Carnival
Violence Jack

Movies

Lupin the 3rd The Castle of Cagliostro Collector's Edition Blu-ray
Wicked City DVD Remastered Special Edition

That by no means represents everything I want from Discotek/Eastern Star, but hey, it's a start. I got EAT-MAN because years ago I bought the OOP Eat-Man '98 release, which I still haven't watched. Got the Fatal Fury OVA because I already own the OOP Fatal Fury movie (bought in the same lot with Eat-Man '98, actually). I have a version of The Castle of Cagliostro but I wanted this one because it has multiple dubs, including the one with David Hayter who I know personally. Lovely Complex, School Days and Zombie-Loan are shows I've already seen and really like. The rest of the titles I got just 'coz they looked like they might be cool.
Supermutant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Barakamon - Complete Series
BlazBlue Alter Memory - Complete Series
Cobra the Animation - Complete Collection
Kingdom - The Complete 1st Season
Lord Marksman and Vanadis - Complete Series
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Funko Pop: Pink Ranger
Omamori Himari - Complete Series
Only Yesterday -- Blu-ray
Rage of Bahamut: Genesis - Season 1 Complete Collection
Sailor Moon S - Set 1
Street Fighter Funko Pops: Chun-Li, Cammy, Ken
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Discotek salllleee! And one other pre-order. I actually don't tend to do a lot of pre-orders, but I did take advantage and for once, I have only pre-ordered things, oddly enough.

K- Missing Kings movie
Kyousogiga
Star Fleet

All bluray combo (except Star Fleet, which is DVD only). I checked out some Star Fleet on youtube, and I do have a thing for Thunderbirds, so this is sort of up my alley, oddly enough.
I didn't need too much Discotek though, as I tend to be mostly caught up with them. For anyone who needs suggestions for Discotek goodness though, Giant Gorg, man!
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:57 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I checked out some Star Fleet on youtube, and I do have a thing for Thunderbirds, so this is sort of up my alley, oddly enough.

Are you able to take the marionettes seriously, out of interest? It can be assumed that the dated appearance of Thunderbirds and its ilk forms part of their contemporary appeal, but does the same apply to this title?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1275 of 1400