• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hunter X Hunter

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CyberViper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:57 am Reply with quote
I just finished watching Hunter X Hunter, and it left me wondering a few things...or a few things I thought were worth mentioning.

Well first, I really enjoyed this anime, along with the OVAs which continued the story spoiler[and brought it to a conclusive ending.]

Second, I was wondering about Hisoka. Is everything he does simply for the sake of loving to fight stronger opponents. I know he gets thrills from fighting people he thinks will be worth it, and this is why spoiler[he waits to fight Gon and the others, and let's them live so he can fight them once they become stronger...he sees they have potential.] But then spoiler[He only fights Gon once, and doesn't even go all-out...He also has plenty of chances to fight again (like on Greed Island), but he doesn't...why? There just seems to be more to him than meets the eye...since he appears throughout the entire series...but I can't figure it out.]

Also, i'm wondering what people feel about Leorio's role. spoiler[ He had a story which, I thought, they could have done a lot more with. They advanced Killua's, Kurapica's, and Gon's stories quite a bit, but they had only maybe one or two episodes to deal with Leorio's. They also covered Kurapica during the Secret Hunter Exam, but they only had one clip (I think) showing Leorio. And after the exam it turned out that he barely knew how to use Nen! I hate to think he was simply put into the story to provide comic relief, since he was one of the first characters introduced! And toward the end his role kept getting smaller and smaller. Does anyone else feel the same way? I think he had so much potential, especially for a suprising comeback, towards the end. However this never happened.]

Also, with Kurapica. spoiler[They really got into his story a lot. After the Secret Hunter Exam they focused mostly on him. They treated him on an equal level with Gon and Killua, but made him amazingly strong. I loved how they made him seem innocent and weak at the beginning, but turned him into an extremely scary character towards the end. They also did the opposite with Killua. But there was no change with Leorio...he stayed the same. I think they should have had a plot twist to his story...like his friend was actually alive or something. Or at least elaborated more on him. ]

Also, how much different is the manga from the television show and the OVAs? Is the ending any different?

And why did they give Kuroro Lucifer a last name? Almost none of the other characters have last names except for Gon and Killua (and his family). He was only in a few episodes, yet they did this...is there some importance to it? Or is it just something I noticed that the creators did just for the heck of it?

I also noticed that this show had a lot of dramatic irony in it. I don't think i've ever watched anything where I realized it had dramatic irony in it, but this show had quite a bit, which I really loved about it! I thought this was very unique and was sort of like a special gift to the viewer. I just thought that I would mention it, since I really appreciated it.

Nevertheless, my real question lie with Hisoka and Leorio, and was wondering if anyone else had any insight or input on these issues.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:13 pm Reply with quote
About Hisoka, on Greed Island, Gon still wasn't wuite "ripe" yet. He still has room to go, and Hisoka's going to give him that room.

As for Leorio, I think he was just a character that the mangaka thought he would use, but over time the story just evolved away from him and he moved on. It happens, especially in a series that moves so quickly away from where it began. The same thing happened in Dragon Ball (Kamesenin, Tenshinhan, etc.), and to a degree in Bleach (Sado, Uryuu, etc.).

As for the manga, the anime and the manga are fairly identical, although there was a bit more filler in the manga during Greed Island (worth reading, but not vital). The manga, of course, is still ongoing, in the middle of the next storyarc (known as the "Chimera Ant" arc), although the mangaka's health problems have caused numerous delays, and the series is currently on hiatus.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1