• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What do you think about piano solo of "Art of Life"

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmdtrty

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I wanna know your opinion about "Art of Life" by X Japan, specially about the piano solo of Yoshiki. For everybody who don't know what is "Art of Life", it is a song of around 30 minutes.. it's a very "feeling" song, with a guitar solo and a piano solo. Some people said that Art of Life is the best song of X Japan Surprised .
Anyway... for me the piano solo is very awesome and weird, it's quite perfect... you can hear the piano background melody while you are hearing Yoshiki's piano performance (it looks like only noise.. Confused ). It's dissonant but impressive.
However, somebody said that yoshiki's piano solo spoils whole song Sad , bcoz it's dissonant and haven't rhythm Confused . Nobody knows what Yoshiki wanted to express with his solo... it's very weird.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:48 pm Reply with quote
cmdtrty wrote:
I wanna know your opinion about "Art of Life" by X Japan, specially about the piano solo of Yoshiki. For everybody who don't know what is "Art of Life", it is a song of around 30 minutes.. it's a very "feeling" song, with a guitar solo and a piano solo. Some people said that Art of Life is the best song of X Japan Surprised .
Anyway... for me the piano solo is very awesome and weird, it's quite perfect... you can hear the piano background melody while you are hearing Yoshiki's piano performance (it looks like only noise.. Confused ). It's dissonant but impressive.
However, somebody said that yoshiki's piano solo spoils whole song Sad , bcoz it's dissonant and haven't rhythm Confused . Nobody knows what Yoshiki wanted to express with his solo... it's very weird.

Please try to spell better, if you can. Reading your post is difficult, thanks.

Oh~ X-Japan is my favorite band of all time. Art of Life is a beautiful peice of, well, art. In my opinion, it's one of the greatest contemporary songs ever written, and anyone who has the chance to hear it at least once should never pass it up.

The piano solo, I'll admit, is very unusual and might take some getting used to, but I think it's beautiful. However, many say it detracts from the song simply because of the length - the piano solo is almost a 3rd of the entire song - that's around 10 minutes, that's really long. If you dislike it, then get the radio cut of Art of Life instead of the entire song. But saying that the solo has no rhythm....now that's uncalled for. I'm a musician, and I think that his solo has perfect rhythm and doesn't throw the song off-track.

Tsk tsk, you people and your short attention spans. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
RedComet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Art Of Life is a great song. I like it both studio and live. The only difference between the two is the piano solo is a few minutes longer live am I right?
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:32 pm Reply with quote
RedComet wrote:
Art Of Life is a great song. I like it both studio and live. The only difference between the two is the piano solo is a few minutes longer live am I right?

No, I meant the differnece between the radio edit (you know, when songs are too long for a radio station to play them, so they cut out a verse or something like that) and the original, full version.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:09 am Reply with quote
Even though i'm not a huge x japan fan, i found that song really good, but really long

first time i heard piano banging sound so good =D
Friezaess

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:51 am Reply with quote
I generally fast-foward this part of the song to be honest. The same chords being repeated over and over and over and over bore me pretty quickly.

Luv and glomps,
~Fri
RedComet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:17 am Reply with quote
No I'm talking about the difference between the studio one on the CD and when they play in live because when they play it live it's a few minutes longer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1