• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Difference in Opinion

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
liquidsolid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:18 am Reply with quote
I regularly see in this forum that anime like DBZ and pokemon which are very famous in U.S and India is'nt famous at all in Japan. In fact it is hated by most people in Japan. Why is that so? Cause DBZ was the first anime telecast here in India and it is a mega hit. DBZ is the reason that i became a fan of anime. Now i download all sorts of anime after hearing some reviews about them. So i just wanna know what it is with DBZ that makes people hate it.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:23 am Reply with quote
Erm...

DBZ and Pokemon were megahits in Japan, as well. That's how they became megahits so easily somewhere else. Things like Cowboy Bebop are exceptions, not norms.

In fact, the Pokemon franchise is very, very far from dead. It'll be with us for a long time to come, as long as Japan still welcome the stay of the yellow mascot.

DBZ is the reason many people became fans of anime, though it certainly annoys many others.

I can tell a lot of things that annoy me in DBZ, but I don't see that as necessary for the thread.
liquidsolid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:27 am Reply with quote
Its to know all the reasons for people hating DBZ that i posted this thread. Cause it is my favorite anime. So i wanna know the setbacks in it. So please feel free to post any reasons that you wish to quote
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:38 am Reply with quote
liquidsolid wrote:
Its to know all the reasons for people hating DBZ that i posted this thread. Cause it is my favorite anime. So i wanna know the setbacks in it. So please feel free to post any reasons that you wish to quote
Well, the fact that the show revolves around fighting (some people just don't like fighting too much) certainly don't cater to shoujo anime fans. (Unless they're magical girl genre fans.)

It's also a problem of DBZ characters fighting endlessly for episodes after episodes without anything done, or the "traditional" way they fight (shouting taunts, crying "superpower" chants, punching, etc.)

And the show isn't "deep" and "meaningful" or "comedic" enough for different tastes.

But people have different opinions, and you can like what I've stated, while the next person hate them, and nothing's wrong with that.

I used to like DBZ when I was young (no doubt it brought many fans into the fandom, just like Sailor Moon), but not now, in my teenage days.
Prosercunus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:13 am Reply with quote
When I seen DBZ when I was younger I thought it was great... but if you have experience other anime titles you might just see how medicore DBZ really is.

Of course this is all opinion the only positive thing I can say about DBZ is that it got me interested in anime! Actually Dragonball when I was a kid got me interested.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:22 am Reply with quote
liquidsolid wrote:
I regularly see in this forum that anime like DBZ and pokemon which are very famous in U.S and India is'nt famous at all in Japan. In fact it is hated by most people in Japan.

Isn't famous?! Pikachu is the first anime character painted on airplanes of a major Japanese airliner (ANA if I remember correctly).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
liquidsolid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:28 am Reply with quote
What i meant was that they seem to pale in comparison to other anime in Japan. It is very clear in this forum.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:47 am Reply with quote
liquidsolid wrote:
What i meant was that they seem to pale in comparison to other anime in Japan. It is very clear in this forum.
This forum is dominated by American audiences with more interest in anime than, dare I say, the Japanese mainstream public.

In other words, the most vocal here are otakus, and otaku knows there are things "better" than DBZ.

The Japanese public is just like any other public, they like mainstream stuff. DBZ is as mainstream as anything could get.

This forum is not a proper representation of the Japanese anime audience at all. It is an English-language forum, for the start. Wink
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:18 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Isn't famous?! Pikachu is the first anime character painted on airplanes of a major Japanese airliner (ANA if I remember correctly).

Quite correct. There are several variations of the plane in fact
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:32 am Reply with quote
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:
This forum is not a proper representation of the Japanese anime audience at all. It is an English-language forum, for the start. Wink

It's not even a proper representation of the English-speaking anime audience. Laughing
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:55 am Reply with quote
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19584
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=221383&highlight=#221383

Two threads explaining why me and other people don't like DBZ.

And as a bunch of people have mentioned in this thread, Pokemon and DBZ were extremely popular in Japan. Pokemon is still popular, DBZ not as much now. A Pokemon theme park was made in Japan... It's one of the few animes that I saw regularly on billboards and advertisements outside of the otaku sections in Japan. Pokemon will probably be remembered up with the legends in Japan like Doraemon and Gundam. Also Pokemon and DBZ aren't unpopular here on ANN. Pokemon's ranked #45 in popularity and Dragon Ball Z's ranked #14. They're ratings are a completely different story though.
liquidsolid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 7:25 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the encouragement mr azathrael. I feel like an anime king now.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:32 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
liquidsolid wrote:
I regularly see in this forum that anime like DBZ and pokemon which are very famous in U.S and India is'nt famous at all in Japan. In fact it is hated by most people in Japan.

in my pokemon obsessed days i saw that plane in the sky.. i was so happy

and they even have pokemon batteries! wait i think those are american..
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Even though they're childhood favorites, not many people will go out and admit that they too still like pokemon.. because it's considered "lame"

also it's very mainstream and easy to get bashed because its so mainstream... (like anything else on TV)
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:36 am Reply with quote
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:
liquidsolid wrote:
Well, the fact that the show revolves around fighting (some people just don't like fighting too much) certainly don't cater to shoujo anime fans. (Unless they're magical girl genre fans.)

It's also a problem of DBZ characters fighting endlessly for episodes after episodes without anything done, or the "traditional" way they fight (shouting taunts, crying "superpower" chants, punching, etc.)

And the show isn't "deep" and "meaningful" or "comedic" enough for different tastes.

But people have different opinions, and you can like what I've stated, while the next person hate them, and nothing's wrong with that.

I used to like DBZ when I was young (no doubt it brought many fans into the fandom, just like Sailor Moon), but not now, in my teenage days.

Well DBZ was created way back in the late 80's, a time before Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell and all that good stuff that people like now. Even though I like the original DB, I still think it's unfair to compare DBZ to current crop when many shows back then weren't "that" good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1