• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Japanese animation meets British animation!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MonkeyFunk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:18 am Reply with quote

Found this, uh, interesting online short that you might enjoy. Watch it here...

Thoughts?

Wink
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I can't watch the clip on this machine, but that pic you've attached looks like someone's been let loose with a copy of Kai's Power Goo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:11 pm Reply with quote
That reminds me, what the hell ever happened with the Natural Born Kittens cartoon, about the British anime catgirls?

I haven't heard anything new about it since... uhh... about 2003?

EDIT: Okay, it was March 2004, but I don't think the talks with Madhouse ever panned out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MonkeyFunk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:58 pm Reply with quote
The official website hasn't been updated for some time.

Can't say I found the series too promising anyway...
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Transration!

But seriously, what the hell was that O_o;;
daxomni

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure what to say. There's too little to go on really. I suppose the idea was slightly interesting, but it wasn't very well done IMO. 2002/3? I think it's time has probably come and gone already.
Lolotakun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Although the mix of creepyness and cuteness and the photocut style were halfway interesting, like daxomni I don't think we will ever hear from it again. More of a student film than a pilot to a film or series. To bad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fui

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Okay that's gonna give me nightmares for a week or so. That surpasses The Exorcist in disturbingness.

You should have put 'warning: explicitly disturbing content' as the thread >.>

In all seriousness though, that really makes anime look bad and I hope I'll never see anything of that nature for as long as I live.
2Real

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:50 pm Reply with quote
ok i have only 2 things i can say about this short....

1) i didn't even wana watch the entier thing it was so bad.

2) i have officly lost all faith in man kinda as we kno it just from watching 30seconds of that, thank you i jope your happy.

......in a side note, can u even call that anime?!
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:06 pm Reply with quote
It had a certain degree of charm to it but it was nothing fantastic. A school project or something of that nature? Most likely, nor do I even think it makes anime look bad as it doesn't really have much to do with anime and there's loads of actual anime titles that make it look far worse than this obscure title will. Seriously, if you're going to point fingers on what makes a genre look bad I seriously suggest you first look at what within the genre itself is having the effect. Give a creative person some credit, it was fairly well done and was probably done on a budget that would likely not even buy a cup of coffee.

And no 2Real, you can't call it anime and no one is calling it anime. It has certain elements that are similar, thus the point of the thread, but no one is even saying it is anime. And as for your loss of faith in mankind, I kind of know how you feel, I get that same feeling when I try to read some posts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
2Real

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:10 pm Reply with quote
[quote="MonkeyFunkJapanese animation meets British animation!
[/quote]

i just wanted to clarifyi that it is being labeled as animation

the threads name.......

and i was being sarcastic for the most part but yea the loss of faith came to me WAY B4 i ever saw that short
deathbringer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:18 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
That reminds me, what the hell ever happened with the Natural Born Kittens cartoon, about the British anime catgirls?

I haven't heard anything new about it since... uhh... about 2003?

EDIT: Okay, it was March 2004, but I don't think the talks with Madhouse ever panned out.

Was Madhouse really considering animating this? It's crap!
MonkeyFunk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:39 am Reply with quote
There's a sequel here:
http://www.hiromitsumurakami.com/index2.html
click "play QuickTime movie".

This one won an award at a Japanese festival =D
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:40 am Reply with quote
The above short, at the top, was created by a Japanese art student who is studying animation skills in Britain. This is just an example of his talants in rough draft. I like the way he has morphed the last scene from animation drawing to real face. However I find the eyes a bit way over the top in terms of size and proportion. Not enough white round the iris to segregate them from what could be human, or animal. They look like eyes from a deep abyssal ocean fish.
MonkeyFunk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:58 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
The above short, at the top, was created by a Japanese art student who is studying animation skills in Britain. This is just an example of his talants in rough draft. I like the way he has morphed the last scene from animation drawing to real face. However I find the eyes a bit way over the top in terms of size and proportion. Not enough white round the iris to segregate them from what could be human, or animal. They look like eyes from a deep abyssal ocean fish.

Heeeeeey, weren't you there when I posted this at the AnimeUKNews forums?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2