• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New Funimation Licences?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nionel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Okay, this morning I found this on one of the fansub sites I visit (yes, yes...shame on me) anyway, this site had a letter the group had gotten from Funimation, and I noticed it listed two licences that no one shows Funimation even has, here is the sentence in question...

Quote:
We own or control various exclusive copyrights and trademarks related to the animated motion pictures, including but not limited to, the series known as “Speed Grapher,” “Trinity Blood,” “FullMetal Alchemist,” “Dragon Ball,” “Solty Rei” a.k.a. “Origin,” “Detective Conan” a.k.a. “Case Closed,” and “Tsubasa

Has anyone else heard anything regarding Solty Rei or Tsubasa being licenced by Funi? Or could it be possible that these licences haven't been officially annoucned yet?
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:27 pm Reply with quote
http://www.tsubasa.tv seems to be registered. Unsure if it's owned by FUNimation though at this momment.
patch

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:08 pm Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:
http://www.tsubasa.tv seems to be registered. Unsure if it's owned by FUNimation though at this momment.

Looks like it is Smile
Quote:

tsubasa.tv

FUNimation Productions, Ltd.
6851 NE Loop 820
Fort Worth, TX 76180
US

Domain Name: TSUBASA.TV

Administrative Contact , Technical Contact :
FUNimation Productions, Ltd.
[email protected]
6851 NE Loop 820
Fort Worth, TX 76180
US

Record expires on 07-Oct-2008
Record created on 07-Oct-2005
Database last updated on 07-Oct-2005
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Not surprised, But FUNi has web domain licenses for Bleach and BECK as well. So we don't know how legit these are yet.
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:19 pm Reply with quote
It's fairly common for companies to register domains for titles that they are pursuing but haven't actually acquired. Whether they actually have it or not, they're at least interested in it.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm not too surprised in FUNi's interest in Solty Rei, but Tsubasa?! Shocked
masterzephyr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really surprised since it goes firmly with their style range. For example, ADV = we love over the top = loki ragnorok, etc.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
Not surprised, But FUNi has web domain licenses for Bleach and BECK as well. So we don't know how legit these are yet.

Do you mean FUNimation has the license for Bleach? I was expecting VIZ Media (ShoPro)...

Wait, nevermind. It's not completely correct, right?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Advent_Nebula wrote:

Do you mean FUNimation has the license for Bleach? I was expecting VIZ Media (ShoPro)...

Wait, nevermind. It's not completely correct, right?

No, FUNi only has set up a web domain for Bleach. That dose not mean that they have it. FUNi did the same thing for GANTZ and One Peice and FUNi dosn't have the licensces for those series.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:53 pm Reply with quote
heh, Solty Rel has license written all over it. interesting how they're jumping on all the Gonzo titles lately.
Nionel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Well, after just checking another site (who's name I won't mention, since I don't want Nagi attacking my posts Wink) the torrents for Black Cat have been removed in regards to this letter from Funi as well, so that could be another Gonzo show under there belt...
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:00 am Reply with quote
It's not a shame to visit fansub sites -- even some of the main editorials on ANN have said something like, "downloading fansubs isn't "evil," as long as you're not one of the fans who downloads and keeps fansubs for licensed shows without buying the DVD and/or expects to get all anime for free." Now, Teh Rules are of course a different matter Wink , but back to the subject at hand. . .I wonder if Funi will enforce for other properties of theirs; I won't name shows or fansub groups, but I can see more C&Ds on the horizon.
Wolf X

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:50 am Reply with quote
Well since we are on the subject of FUNimation, has anyone heard when the second disc of Tenchi Muyo!!! OAV3 is supposed to be released. It took them forever to get the first disc out, I am just hopeing that it won't be like the first one.
Anime Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:50 am Reply with quote
Well, if they do have Tsubasa, I hope it goes well. I really like it so far... I'm not a big fan of some of the stuff Funimation has done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nionel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:26 am Reply with quote
It should go well, as far as I'm concerned Funi has done a wonderful job with some of their more recent titles, FMA comes to mind. But either way, I'm really looking forward to R1 releases for Tsubasa and Black Cat since both are series that I'd like to have in my collection...

Zalis116 wrote:
I wonder if Funi will enforce for other properties of theirs; I won't name shows or fansub groups, but I can see more C&Ds on the horizon.

Honestly, I wouldn't be suprised if more C&D letters do go out, and honestly I wouldn't be suprised if at some point you don't see other US companies doing the same thing. The one thing I noticed though, is that it's actually been awhile since Funi has done something like this (since, like back when DBZ was back) maybe this is more a move on Navarre's part since Fansubs could potentially cost them sales in the long run...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2