• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
the hikaru no go english voices are bad

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru393

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:53 pm Reply with quote
i got my shonen jump and it came with hikaru no go dvd preview the voices are bad as hell they dont sound right at all to play the roles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Welcome to the world of dubbed anime.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

Nice try attempting to insult dubs. Rolling Eyes

And hikaru, can you provide a better reason as to why you don't like the HNG dub, other than, "the voices are bad as hell"? You're just coming off as some little otaku purist who worships the Japanese language and believes that 4Kids does all dubs.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Might want to put a little more meat into your subject matter in the future. Simply making a post, "I saw x dub and it sucks" doesn't an interesting thread make.

Of course, then of course comes Ohoni and his insane bias to the degree he makes you wonder if he isn't posting wearing white sheets and a pointy hat and we have another pointless "OMGWTF dubs r teh suxx!! lolz" thread, yippee.

Intolerance of opinions based around purity rarely ever end in memorable, positive moments. Some dubs suck, welcome to the world, know what? Some subs do too. Take your pick, but check both ways before stepping on the road, traffic comes from both directions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Winking Samurai

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Just watched it myself. The voices are quite bad.

BTW, have not watched the fansubbed version, so these opinions are not based on the Japanese voices!

Hikaru's voice is just... off. It's all over the place. It's high, but not kid-high. More like helium-high. I was expecting a kid's voice, what with him being in 6th grade and all.

Sai's voice... Good Lord. Brad Swaile. Sound familiar? It's Lan from MegaMan NT Warrior! Now, that alone isn't all that bad, but he plays Sai so flamboyantly, it's really awkward. Reading the manga, I was expecting an actor that could pull off being both funny and serious, but Swaile just makes Sai sound like petty comic relief.

Akari's voice is generically chirpy and Akira's voice is passible, but it doesn't save this trainwreck.

For shame, Viz! I had high hopes after seeing Naruto!
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Considering this is an Ocean Group dub that's going to dub a rather long-winded series, I say give them 10 or 20 episodes for them to get use to their characters. It sort of worked for Inu Yasha. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:03 pm Reply with quote
The Winking Samurai wrote:
For shame, Viz! I had high hopes after seeing Naruto!

It's not Viz's fault, it's Ocean's. Anime distributors other than ADV and FUNi don't do dubs themselves. Stop accusing the companies of things they're not doing. You dub critics do this all the time, and it's very annoying.
Dexo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Meh for long series I usually give VA's 10-15 episodes to find a voice that fits the character...
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Of course, then of course comes Ohoni and his insane bias to the degree he makes you wonder if he isn't posting wearing white sheets and a pointy hat and we have another pointless "OMGWTF dubs r teh suxx!! lolz" thread, yippee.

Yes, I do indeed belong to the "we're fine with people of all races, colors, and creeds, but hate them dubbers" faction of the klan. Seriously.

Also, I have no bias. I judge all sound tracks evenly, the simple fact is that very few of the American tracks are anywhere close to the Japanese, and many of them are far worse than acceptible. That's not bias, any more than saying that most pools I've been in have gotten me wet. Sooner or later, one just has to accept the fact that jumping in fully dressed is a bad idea.

Quote:

It's not Viz's fault, it's Ocean's.

Of course it's Viz's fault. The buck stops at the top. If a dub sucks, the actors are responsible for sucking, the ADR director is responsible for hiring actors that suck, the voice studio is responsible for hiring an ADR director who can't pick good actors, the US licensed company is responsible for hiring a studio with bad ADR directors, and the Japanese licensor is responible for picking an irresponsible US licensee. Everyone along the chain is responsible for doing their job to the best of their ability, and the higher you go, the more that means replacing failures towards the bottom.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:55 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

n1. Thanking subs everyday for not making me go through that horrible ear-torture again. I had to watch Onegai Teacher twice to actually enjoy it.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Isn't it ironic that someone with poor grammar skills is complaining about an English dub?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
Ohoni wrote:

n1. Thanking subs everyday for not making me go through that horrible ear-torture again. I had to watch Onegai Teacher twice to actually enjoy it.

You guys make me sick. Seriously, if you don't like a dub, you don't need to share your one-sided biased opinions with us. This is already turning into a dub vs. sub debate.

Ohoni wrote:
Of course it's Viz's fault. The buck stops at the top. If a dub sucks, the actors are responsible for sucking, the ADR director is responsible for hiring actors that suck, the voice studio is responsible for hiring an ADR director who can't pick good actors, the US licensed company is responsible for hiring a studio with bad ADR directors, and the Japanese licensor is responible for picking an irresponsible US licensee. Everyone along the chain is responsible for doing their job to the best of their ability, and the higher you go, the more that means replacing failures towards the bottom.

Why don't you go to the Viz studio and tell them that, right to their faces?
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, I have no bias. I judge all sound tracks evenly, the simple fact is that very few of the American tracks are anywhere close to the Japanese, and many of them are far worse than acceptible. That's not bias, any more than saying that most pools I've been in have gotten me wet. Sooner or later, one just has to accept the fact that jumping in fully dressed is a bad idea.

Or the fact you go out of your way in nearly every thread to bash them, I'd say you're not just bias, but far past it. Not to mention the multitudes of people disagreeing with your point of view in anime fandom represent the fact that it is indeed just your point of view and not solid fact as you believe. Nor do I believe anyone who was truly objective could make those statements, especially with modern anime done over the past 4 or so years. Now then we get to the weak comparison that is the surest sign of a weak argument. Getting wet in pools is a physical reality, assessing the quality of subs and dubs is a matter of opinions, and you are not god or anyone with the ability to turn your opinion into undeniable physical and scientific fact.

Keep trying hater, sooner or later you might just gather enough tolerance to accept the fact the world doesn't cater specifically to you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Hikaru329 - Got all his post delete recently for crappy posting and even crappier topic. Also made dumb topic about "ripping 100 dollar off his friends" and end up being a lie. Doesn't bring much to the table (community), one of the poorer poster on this forum.

Ohino - Close minded individual. He watch so much fansubs that the near sight of an actual anime DVD scares him because he might actually *gasp* pay for entertainment. Having watching fansub for most of his life and watching free anime on CN, he grew a bias towards all dubs, and while not understanding all the nuisance from Japanese to English. While most people who don't like dub will usually just let it be for the others that enjoy them, Ohioh goes out of his way to find topic about dub and bash on them to make himself feel better or superior than everyone. All his years of leeching and leeching paid off, as it mold him into a neo-dub nazi.

In the end, nobody wins.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
Azathrael wrote:
Ohoni wrote:

You guys make me sick. Seriously, if you don't like a dub, you don't need to share your one-sided biased opinions with us. This is already turning into a dub vs. sub debate.
Ohoni wrote:

Why don't you go to the Viz studio and tell them that, right to their faces?

You know, I haven't seen either versions of Hikaru No Go and wasn't thrilled with the series in Shonen Jump, so I don't know why I visited this thread. I just knew the minute I read the topic of the thread, Starwind Amada and Ohoni would be going at it. It's too predictable. Ever think of settling your diiferences in a 50 ft. high Steel Cage match?

However, Ohoni did bring up a good point (in a backwards sort of way) that no one ever seems to mention: Why is it seemingly always the English companies' fault for any problems in an Japanese anime dub but NOT the Japanese companies for selling their product without any/enough input about said Japanese anime product?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5