• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Negima (Magister Negi Magi)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fui

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:23 am Reply with quote
I did searches on reviews and threads on it but only pulled up some spoilers and other not-so-good stuff. Almost all of the threads are about the manga.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has seen the Magister Negi Magi (anime, not manga) series, because the ANN rating is kinda lukewarm and I don't know whether or not it would be worth getting. I really liked Love Hina (I like love stories usually) although this one seems a little pedophilic maybe...but the characters don't look that young. The animation also looks high quality, kind of like Love Hina. Any input would be nice. Thanks.

I also noticed Funimation licensed it not too long ago...>.> I usually dislike dubbed anime, but that's OT.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:31 am Reply with quote
I've seen it. . .lots of people hate on the MSN anime, but it has its good points. I haven't read past Ch 16 of the manga, but I understand that the anime differs considerably, especially in the last four episodes. (It is a good, conclusive-seeming ending.) So, manga purists won't care for it. But, if you like Ken Akamatsu humor and artwork, it's a fun time, with some good sad/emotional "treat" episodes thrown in, kind of on the level of episode 20 of Love Hina. However, the love story isn't as fulfilling as Love Hina (and even with LH, you need to get the manga conclusion), in part because these are 13-14 year-old girls and a 10 year-old teacher. With 30 girls, you get to experience every part of the shounen/broader anime spectrum, from the cute lolicon-bait twins to the samurai throwback girl who ends sentences with "de gozaru" (like Kenshin does, see the ANN encyclopedia).

All in all, it was worth watching for me, and I might get the DVDs when they come out.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:22 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it basically remixes a lot of the manga, moving storylines around and changing them to fit. It seems to have less action than the manga, and kind of drags in a lot of places. It only covers the manga up until the Kyoto arc (more or less), and then tacks on an ending that is completely new to the anime. Hopefully they'll come out with more later, as the arcs after that in the manga have been quite solid. I'm loving the current one.

The animation quality varies, sometimes quite good, often corner-cutting.

It's worth watching for a bit, and if you like it, keep watching, but I wouldn't say it's a great anime, even if I do enjoy the manga.

Edit: Oh, and it's worth noting, if you're coming for the fanservice, it's still there, but it's much tamer than in the manga. Characters tend to end up left with more clothes, or seen from less dramatic camera angles. Wink
Fui

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Edit: Oh, and it's worth noting, if you're coming for the fanservice, it's still there, but it's much tamer than in the manga. Characters tend to end up left with more clothes, or seen from less dramatic camera angles. Wink

What do you mean by 'fanservice?' I've heard of 'fanservice' but never really understood the concept. "Tamer?" Is this like fanart or something? Or alternate story endings for the fan? Sorry, I don't know much about anime fan stuff, I only pretty much watch the original anime series. Thanks.
Pleroma

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What do you mean by 'fanservice?' I've heard of 'fanservice' but never really understood the concept. "Tamer?" Is this like fanart or something? Or alternate story endings for the fan? Sorry, I don't know much about anime fan stuff, I only pretty much watch the original anime series. Thanks.

Fanservice = panty shots, light nudity, boing boing, etc.

The anime (unfortunately) cut that down a LOT compared to the manga. They also botched the story, tho at least they gave the anime a decent ending
Fui

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Ah ic. Anyway, I went to Best Buy but they didn't have the series Anime cry I'll look elsewhere. Thanks for the input guys, this thread no longer needs to be bumped.
Pleroma

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I dont think its been licenced yet, just DL it.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Negima has already been licensed by FUNimation. They haven't release the DVDs yet. Neutral
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I've got the first 6 DVDs. It could have been a lot better, but there is some good material in there (although the "Kyoto Arc" from the manga was really not done justice the material original to the anime really wasn't bad, e.g. the Sayo episode and the series conclusion).
Being a TV Tokyo series the anime fanservice was very light (no panty shots at all, although a few were added for the DVDs)

I've got a load of screenshots on my blog, mostly to illustrate the differences from the TV to the DVD version but if you look at the caps from the first DVD it should give you a bit of a feel for the series without spoiling much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1